Received Interview Letter - Evidence of Selective Registration Asked for.

mspcitizen

Registered Users (C)
I receieved my Interview Letter for Aug 27th. It states that I must bring:
"Any Evidence of Selective Service registration"

Quick note about my background:
I came to the US at age 21 on F1 visa and then moved on to an H1 visa. I stayed on H1 till age 27. I am now 34.

Since I was a lawful non-immigrant until age 26 I never needed to register for Selective Services. I even responded "NO" to Question 33 in N400 pertainng to Selective Services Registration.

I never bothered to get a status letter from Selective Services since I was sure this would not be an issue...except now that they have asked for it in the Interview Letter. Even if I applied for the letter now...I won't have it ready until the Interview date.

How likely is it that the IO could ask me to come back after getting the status letter from SSS?
Any advise would be appreciated.

I came to the US at age 21 on F1 visa and then moved on to an H1 visa. I stayed on H1 till age 27. I am now 34.

Since I was a lawful non-immigrant until age 26 I never needed to register for Selective Services. I even responded "NO" to Question 33 in N400 pertainng to Selective Services Registration.

I never bothered to get a status letter from Selective Services since I was sure this would not be an issue...except now that they have asked for it in the Interview Letter. Even if I applied for the letter now...I won't have it ready until the Interview date.

How likely is it that the IO could ask me to come back after getting the status letter from SSS?

This is a standard, generic interview letter. Everyone gets this. Only bring what pertains to your case. In your case, you were a lawful non-immigrant until age 26 and as such you had no requirement to register for selective service.

You are fine.

SS is not required for you because you were on F1 and H2 plus you are now 34. SS is required only for male green card holders or US citizen or illegal alien or persons with out of the status AND are between ages 18 and 25 and living in the U.S.

I thought one can print out a status letter from SS on their website ??
I don't remember the address though...i am sure you can google it.

here, you should be able to verify, and get a print out. (but even without it, i don't think you'll have a problem. they can check it even during the interview):
https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfVerification.aspx