Received EAD through 485 but no SSN

appu_123

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

My wife is on F1 (Student Visa) and we got married in June 2007. I am on H1B visa since Nov-2003.

We both applied for I-765/I-131/I-485 in July 2007 (when dates were current in July 2007).

We both have received our respective EAD cards (I-765) through I-485 application. I-485 is still pending.

So, my wife, although on F1 visa, has received her EAD through I-485 application as she was eligible to apply being my wife and I was eligible as I am on H1B and my company offered Green Card. Her EAD is not based on OPT/CPT which F1 visa holders may get.

Now my wife does not have SSN as she never intended to work. Now we want to have her SSN as I can then jointly file our taxes in coming year and can get good tax deduction. Also applying for her SSN will help to make her credit history.

But she still prefers to be on F1 visa.
And I am going to continue on my own H1B visa.

So, my question is
Question 1
A) If we show the EAD (received through I-485 application) and get her SSN, would that be interpreted as she has actually used her EAD and will invalidate her F1 status?

B) Or would that not be counted as actually using EAD and she will be still on F1 and get her SSN?

Question 2
What are the pros & cons of using EAD for a 3 month job in the vacation break she gets.

Your response would be highly appreciated.