Received Date vs. Notice Date issue

nofreedom

Registered Users (C)
We probably discussed this issue before, but can anyone give some "scientific" answer.

When we check our status online, it says (my case):
Your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status was received on January 10, 2000. We mailed you a receipt with information about processing. It is taking between 570 and 600 days for us to process this kind of case. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete.

Notice here received date is Jan 10 2000. However, on my notice, my Received Date is Dec 28 1999 and Notice Date is Jan 10 2000.
Does this mean that BCIS uses Notice date as Received Date?

Another thing ... In previous posts one of the users posted his dates:
Hi Nofreedom
Here are my dates:
RD-Nov.7th 1999
ND-Dec.9th 1999
FP Scheduled Aug. 27th 2003

Pay attention to his Notice Date: Dec 9 1999. BCIS processing case up to Nov 19 and he is already scheduled for FP. His RD is Nov 7, which is before Nov 19. Does this means that BCIS moved forward OR they are processing applications for the next year cycle OR they display ND on web site, but actually use RD??? This could be potential good news for some. Also, I'm not pointing fingers to anything, just wanted to know. If somebody could give us an input on this I would really appreciate it.

Gilbert? Alanpero?

Like I said before I never received the ND from the INS, so i have no idea what my ND is. here what my status says:

"Your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status was received on December 6, 1999. We mailed you a receipt with information about processing. It is taking between 570 and 600 days for us to process this kind of case. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete."

I think the BCIS is using the RD for their FY cut. I wishe they are using the ND so I will fall in the next cut.

RD

Hello fellow members my son's Rd is 7/16/1999 and ND is 10/26/1999 he is 11 yrs old and he did not recieve any notice like FP or something .I understand he will not get FP but any advise or speculation how BCIS will process.
Thanks in advance

Originally posted by cider_or
Like I said before I never received the ND from the INS, so i have no idea what my ND is. here what my status says:

"Your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status was received on December 6, 1999. We mailed you a receipt with information about processing. It is taking between 570 and 600 days for us to process this kind of case. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete."

I think the BCIS is using the RD for their FY cut. I wishe they are using the ND so I will fall in the next cut.

cider_or, ND sould be on your receipt and you are saying you never received it? how did you find out your LIN number? If you do have receipt, check your Received date and Notice Date

I am just as curious as you are. I am trying to find out the answer.

Originally posted by nofreedom
We probably discussed this issue before, but can anyone give some "scientific" answer.

Notice here received date is Jan 10 2000. However, on my notice, my Received Date is Dec 28 1999 and Notice Date is Jan 10 2000.

Pay attention to his Notice Date: Dec 9 1999. BCIS processing case up to Nov 19 and he is already scheduled for FP. His RD is Nov 7, which is before Nov 19. Does this means that BCIS moved forward OR they are processing applications for the next year cycle OR they display ND on web site, but actually use RD??? This could be potential good news for some. Also, I'm not pointing fingers to anything, just wanted to know. If somebody could give us an input on this I would really appreciate it.

Gilbert? Alanpero?

Hi,

Maybe I can answer your question. I called Nebraska Service Center before they moved all the calls to the National Customer Service Center.

When I asked them that question, the representative told me that BCIS goes by the Received Date and not the Notice Date. She informed me that sometimes BCIS print out Reciepts in batches.

My RD was Aug. 1999 and ND was Nov. 1999 and I got my FP notice last month. So this seems to be making sense. So, all Assylees who have Received Dates on or before Nov. 19th should have gotten FP notices or should have heard something about their pending application.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your message. The only issue is that many people with a summer 99 receipt date (myself included) still have not heard anything.

ND vs RD

Nofreedom,
I raised this Issue before and allenpero said that they go by RD. I always had problem with this issue, because the online status say that your case is pending as of (ND). and it's confusing !!!
my RD is 7/19/99 and my ND is 9/29/99, the online status shows the 9/29/99 date and either way I haven't recievd anything yet, and I called BCIS and the operator said she put a request for info and I should hear an answer to my request in 30 days(not regarding the FP), I called again today and they said since I called a week ago I have to wait at least 30 days!!!

nofreedom, I got the lin number from the INS in nebraska. I was in the process of moving when I filed my I-485. so i am pretty sure it was sent to the old address. anyway I received my FP notice and had them done last friday, so that mean my ND is indeed before Nov 16th.

Originally posted by nofreedom

Gilbert? Alanpero?

They go by the received date if the application was properly filed. As per regulations, it is the filing date of the I-485 that determines an asylee place in line for the issuance of a visa number.
The A-number and the filing date of the I-485 are entered to a data base. At the beginning of the FY, NSC tracks the A-numbers of the oldest 9,750 applications that have not yet received an allocation; these applications may be completed during the FY. The remaining 250 allocations are reserved for special circumstances or court-directed adjustments.
This process was officially reported by INS in the minutes of meeting AILA/INS on March, 2001.
Process might have changed now though. I bet they are tracking the number of adjudications more than once a year.
Hope this clarifies everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
It make sense alanpero2. I was assuming that they are going by RD. I guess I'm the unlucky one and because of few days difference in filing, I will have to wait up to two more years, because they will probably close next FY with Nov 19. Thanks for the answers, and if anybody has any other input, please post it.