1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are looking for volunteer moderators for the forums for various topics. If you are interested and feel that you have the experience for the same, please contact us with your name and topic of interest and your experience in the area in which you wish to volunteer. A moderator is required to visit the forum on a regular basis, control spam, report offending posters, provide recommendations for reorganizing the forums etc.
  3. US Immigration attorney, Rajiv S. Khanna hosts a free community conference call for US Immigration questions every other Thursday at 12:30 p.m, EST. You can post your questions in the conference call forum and dial into the call at (202)800-8394.

reapplying for F1 visa

Discussion in 'General F Visa and Related Issues' started by move along, Apr 9, 2008.

  1. move along

    move along Registered Users (C)


    I was granted an F1 visa to pursue my masters degree in the US in july 2003. The Visa expires in on july 6th, 2008. In the meantime I completed my ist masters, and am now pursuing a second one. My current i-20 expires in december 2009.

    I am visiting India in may 2008. I have the following questions

    1. Can I go for a visa interview in may 2008, for a new student visa, if my current visa is still valid until july 6 2008?
    2. Is this considered visa renewal? or a new visa since I switched my degree program?

    3. what documents do I need to carry for my visa interview?

    Thanks much!
  2. angela20

    angela20 Registered Users (C)

    If you depart the U.S. during the course of your studies with a single entry visa or an expired visa you will need to be interviewed again by a consular officer and qualify for a new student visa. Generally, continuing students who can show that they are in good standing in their academic programs should be able to qualify for new student visas to return and resume their studies. Continuing students should be prepared to provide evidence of progress in their program, along with evidence on continuing ability to cover tuition and living expenses.


Share This Page