Re: joint documents for interview

myjuls

Registered Users (C)
Just getting ready for my interview and trying to get as much joint stuff as possible...

Q: Can a cell phone family plan be considered as a proof of marriage ?

Anybody used it in addition to other joint stuff during interview?

Thank you.

Sure, you can use the cell phone bill, land phone bill, cable tv/Internet bills, water bills, electricity/gas bills, bank accounts, lease/mortgage, pretty much anything that has both your names on it.

sgsnathan said:
Sure, you can use the cell phone bill, land phone bill, cable tv/Internet bills, water bills, electricity/gas bills, bank accounts, lease/mortgage, pretty much anything that has both your names on it.

Well, the problem is there is only one name on the bill ( another name can't be added per phone company ). The idea of jointness here is not in having 2 names on the account but sharing a plan, minutes, calling each other thus establishing a relationship. Sorry , find it hard to express but I think you get the idea...

Yeah, you could take your cellphone bills to show that you guys kept in touch regularly. For that matter, you could also take other forms of communication like email or regular mail, greeting cards etc. I hope you have some bills like credit cards (you should be able to have an add on card holder on credit cards easier) or lease agreement to show the officer at the interview. If the other bills have only one name on it, make sure you explain the reasons for that to the officer clearly. Anyway, I hope you have lots of pictures from the wedding or places you have been to, possibly dated too.

Yeah, about the dated pics: we only use digital cameras these days. There aren't any dates on the pic and when I print them out, they will only have the print date.
I do have two or three older pics of us that were taken with my old camera. Do you think that it's going to be enough?

Thanks for your reply sgsnathan,

Yeh, we do have other joint things

1. Joint checking account

2. Joint credit account + a letter from Credit Card Company stating that I've been an authorized user for 2 years and then was changed to a secord holder of the account

3. Joint electricity bills for 3 years

4. Kind of joint Verizon phone bills with my husband's name on the paying slip only under c/o

5. Joint lease agreements for 3 years + a letter from the owner

6. Joint tax return for 2005

7. We also have a joint car insurance with both names on but the address on it is that of my husband's parents . So I am not sure whether I should show it.

8. Other stuff : lots of pictures for 5 years, 2 video tapes, airline tickets with both names on, postcards and wedding invitations on both names.

Does that sound enough? Just can't stop worrying about it. I still think of something else that I can bring.

Any other ideas? I know it has been discussed all over the forum. But if you have a fresh thought or idea on what else can be used I'll be really happy to hear it.

Thanks again to all kind and knowledgeable people of this forum!!! :p :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont worry

DonT worry about your interview too much.My husband and i have the following joint documents:Joint savings account joint health insurance,water bills with both of names,Cell phone bills with both of our names We also have emails dating from 2003 when we first started communicationg and photos but not many photos because we got maried in a chapel and i decided that it makes no sense to have a huge wedding and soon after go into debt.It's hard for me to get various things in my name because it took me a long while to get my SS# my interview date is 15-06-06 .

hehehe, you are sitting on top of so many documents and you are still worried??? In my opinion, I don't see any way the officer could not approve your case because of lack of evidence of the relationship :D. I don't think having a different address for the car insurance document would be a problem as what they would be looking for is proof of the relationship and not residence. If you have more than a week for the interview, you could try to change the address on the insurance policy by calling them or going on their website and they should send you the documents with the new address on them in a week. (I work for a big auto insurance company and they would let you change it online and print them out the same day. Now, your rates may go up or down depending on where you move to and you would get a new quote.) Myjuls, you are good to go. If you get an officer like the one my wife and I got, they may not even care too much about most of the documents and would just get minimal stuff if they are convinced that you guys are honest. But make copies of all of them so you can give it to the officer anyway.

Patty, I am guessing that you guys have more pictures from the wedding. I don't think the immigration officers would care much about the date on the pictures as long as you have sufficient proof otherwise to prove your relationship. My wife and I just went with 2 scrapbooks (albums) one from the wedding and one from our trip to my home country. The officer seemed convinced about us already and we showed them to him only when he asked if we had brought anything else that we wanted to show him. So I would say, don't worry about it and good luck to both of you.

Thanks for your reply fedup2k6,

My interview is soon too. It's for June 19.

I also have very few pictures from the wedding as we had a court wedding with only one witness,my friend, and she was the one who actually took the pictures during court ceremony. Most of the pictures are from other occasions. I have like 3 huge albums of them.

In most cases (so I read ) immigration officers hardly look at the photos but more interested in papers and documents.

Good luck with your interview.

sgsnathan said:
hehehe, you are sitting on top of so many documents and you are still worried??? In my opinion, I don't see any way the officer could not approve your case because of lack of evidence of the relationship

I don't know but even with all this stuff I am worried. Just my nature I guess.

:D. I don't think having a different address for the car insurance document would be a problem as what they would be looking for is proof of the relationship and not residence. If you have more than a week for the interview, you could try to change the address on the insurance policy by calling them or going on their website and they should send you the documents with the new address on them in a week. (I work for a big auto insurance company and they would let you change it online and print them out the same day. Now, your rates may go up or down depending on where you move to and you would get a new quote.)

You are right,the problem is the rate. We would have changed it long time ago if not for the rate. And showing the insurance to imm. officer may trigger some unnecessary questions about the address,rate and moral character.

sgsnathan said:
Patty, I am guessing that you guys have more pictures from the wedding. I don't think the immigration officers would care much about the date on the pictures as long as you have sufficient proof otherwise to prove your relationship. My wife and I just went with 2 scrapbooks (albums) one from the wedding and one from our trip to my home country. The officer seemed convinced about us already and we showed them to him only when he asked if we had brought anything else that we wanted to show him. So I would say, don't worry about it and good luck to both of you.

Thanks for your reply sgsnathan.
We don't have many pics from the wedding, it was just the official court house one. Our big wedding reception is in September.
We have a lot of party pictures with our friends from our time in Germany, but ahem... not sure if I wanna show those!! :p
Since I don't have a Social yet, all we have is our lease agreement for the apartment and a cell phone family plan.

Oh well. I still have some time, hopefully I'll get my EAD soon.

Myjuls, I see your point. I work in IT for my company, so not an expert on insurance really. But remember, if you get into an accident and make a claim, the insurance company can refuse to pay you if they realize that you are not staying at the place mentioned on your policy. But that is your call :). Now, as for the showing the policy document as a proof of the relationship, you can opt not to show it to the officer, but if he asks for it specifically, you may have to show it to him anyway. But let's hope not.

Patty, as long as you tell the officer the truth and your reasons for not having many wedding pictures, I am sure he/she would understand. Good luck to both of you again!

sgsnathan said:
Myjuls, I see your point. I work in IT for my company, so not an expert on insurance really. But remember, if you get into an accident and make a claim, the insurance company can refuse to pay you if they realize that you are not staying at the place mentioned on your policy.

Can't a person have 2 or more places of residence and stay the equal amount of time at all of them? Just curious....

Having more than one place of residence is fine. But when you buy an auto insurance policy, the address you have to give them is the address where your vehicle is garaged at night. Now, you could get into a lot of accidents over time and make claims successfully in spite of giving a different address, but that is a risk you must be willing to take. Then again, if you have plates/tags from a different state and your vehicle is registered somewhere else, the insurance company will be able to pull that up when they verify your claim. It is possible that you are living in one place and driving 100 miles to work in another state. But that would also be reflected on your policy as the approximate number of miles driven in a week. In the end, if the insurance company realizes that you lied to them somehow, the policy may not be valid as that is something you sign up for when you buy the policy saying that all the information you have furnished them is true :).