Re-entry after an extension

Ashwings

Hi
My parents come here every year and stay for 4-6 months everytime. Last time they were here in Jul 2006. I extended their visa and they got extn approval till jul 2007. They left in Jun 2007. I would like to get them back in feb 2008. Will there be any issues at the POE even after they carry the extension approval documents et all. Has anybody got their parents back after an extension. What was their experience?

Thanks
Ashwings

Your parents are spending almost as much time in the US as in their home country. One day they will run into a hardliner officer at the POE who will cancel their visa.

Hi
My parents come here every year and stay for 4-6 months everytime. Last time they were here in Jul 2006. I extended their visa and they got extn approval till jul 2007. They left in Jun 2007. I would like to get them back in feb 2008. Will there be any issues at the POE even after they carry the extension approval documents et all. Has anybody got their parents back after an extension. What was their experience?

Thanks
Ashwings

As a general rule a visitor needs to spend more time in their home country than in the U.S. If your parents spent 1 year in the U.S and they are re-entering again within a year that does'nt show much ties to their home country. They don't seem like visitors in my view. They might be asked as to why they are coming too soon, their reasons for their previous extension etc. In the end the officer at the POE has the discretion of letting them in. Some hard-headed officers can go to any extent of even cancelling the visa and sending them back home. If i were you, i would'nt let them come for atleast 2 years!!.

Look at the post here for one of the experiences, where this person was given only a 45 day stay.

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=269714

As others have said, it is on a case-by-case basic..To give u some hope: the mother of one of my friends has been living in the US on a visitor visa for more than 50% of the time for the last 5-6 years. I must note that other conditional factors have probably contributed to her extended stay (window, age 75+, medical conditions etc)

Ashwings,
Since their last visit was a year long, I would advise your parents to not re-enter the US for at least a year.