Quit or get fired?

gopher97

Registered Users (C)
Yes, thats the question... should I quit my present job or try get fired for disciplinary reasons and collect unemployment benefits? 9 months post 485 approval.

better idea..

...forward this discussion to your company's HR with your real name! You'll go one way or the other...

cadavi said:
...forward this discussion to your company's HR with your real name! You'll go one way or the other...

errr... I wasn't asking advice on how to get fired. Good topic for discussion though... how to get fired.

gopher97 said:
Yes, thats the question... should I quit my present job or try get fired for disciplinary reasons and collect unemployment benefits? 9 months post 485 approval.
Getting fired for disciplinary reasons is never a good thing in my book. It may come back to haunt you.
Why do you think that you need to get fired in order to collect unemployment benefits?

GeneM said:
Getting fired for disciplinary reasons is never a good thing in my book. It may come back to haunt you.
Why do you think that you need to get fired in order to collect unemployment benefits?

May be he is under paid than the unemployment benifits he could collect.

For God's sake, before seeking answers to wacky question, it would be nice if guys tell us why they like to choose one of those options.

gopher97 said:

Usually, like, quiting, Getting fired is not eligible for unemployment benefits

GeneM said:

Are GC holders eligible for unemployment benefits from government ?

GeneM said:

Yes, thats right.

Some employers may ask you the reason for leaving previous job. If you say 'you were fired because of disciplinart reason', then he may not recruit you.

Moreover, if you happen to work in State/Federal govt. clients, they may do a background check to find out whether you are suitable for the job and/or eligible for a public trust. There is a form 'Standard Form 85P' that you need to fill. There is a section where they ask as follows:

Has any of the following happened to you in the last 7 years? If "Yes," begin with the most recent occurrence and go backward, providing date fired, quit, or left, and other information requested.

Use the following codes and explain the reason your employment was ended:
1 - Fired from a job
2 - Quit a job after being told you’d be fired
3 - Left a job by mutual agreement following allegations of misconduct
4 - Left a job by mutual agreement following allegations of unsatisfactory performance
5 - Left a job for other reasons under unfavorable circumstances

I had to fill one of these S-85 forms and that is why I do not see the reason for making your employer fire you. You can be "laid off" and get the unemployment benefits. Been there, done that.

Also, if you do get fired for "gross misconduct" (might not be applicable here), you are not eligible for COBRA health insurance from your employer. For some people, thats pretty important.

mdeshmukh1 said:
Are GC holders eligible for unemployment benefits from government ?

Yes they are eligible for unemployment benefits. But the benefits do not come from the government.

gopher97 said:

If you are fired for bad conduct, it's unlikely you will be eligible for unemployment benefit (rules vary state to state though).

does that mean that if you are fired and you don't have a job....you can't claim unemployment benifits?
I didn't think there was a relation between benifits ...and ....why you dont have a job...

AmericanWannabe said:
Usually, like, quiting, Getting fired is not eligible for unemployment benefits

varies from state to state and definition of work related misconduct. i will leave that for the courts to decide if it comes to that. Thanks for your response.

Last edited by a moderator:
abc13 said:
May be he is under paid than the unemployment benifits he could collect.

For God's sake, before seeking answers to wacky question, it would be nice if guys tell us why they like to choose one of those options.

Thanks for the verbal diarrhea.

Apollo_13 said:
Yes, thats right.

Some employers may ask you the reason for leaving previous job. If you say 'you were fired because of disciplinart reason', then he may not recruit you.

Moreover, if you happen to work in State/Federal govt. clients, they may do a background check to find out whether you are suitable for the job and/or eligible for a public trust. There is a form 'Standard Form 85P' that you need to fill. There is a section where they ask as follows:

none of this spplies to me now, but I will keep this in mind for the future. Thanks!

It took couple of days for you to respond. I thought you are already arrested for miss-conduct at the workplace; FIRED FROM WORK AND ENJOYING UNEMPLOYMENT BENIFITS IN ORANGE UNIFORM.. lol.

Anyway keep on posting your Idiotic Insights. Are you the same guy who posted "Can I sue my Employer"

abc13 said:
It took couple of days for you to respond. I thought you are already arrested for miss-conduct at the workplace; FIRED FROM WORK AND ENJOYING UNEMPLOYMENT BENIFITS IN ORANGE UNIFORM.. lol.

Anyway keep on posting your Idiotic Insights. Are you the same guy who posted "Can I sue my Employer"

Feel better? Looks like someone needs a hug. Oh, and learn to spell.