Quit or Get Fired after GC?

silee77

Registered Users (C)
I apologize if this was already answered before. Once you get your GC, is it more beneficial to resign from your sponsoring employer or get fired/counseled out? ...I am just about ready to jump ships here.

To a certain extent, this is clearly also a professional/strategic decision one has to make since it will affect your resume, future job interviews, etc., but from the immigration/naturalization perspective, I heard that resigning could cause some problems later down the road when applying for citizenship, especially if one resigns shortly after getting the GC.

Any thoughts and/or personal experiences out there?

Laid off is supposedly better than quitting, as it allows you to maintain the position that you personally had the intent to work for the employer.

But actually getting fired for cause could be worse, as that may lead the interviewer into an ugly line of questioning about why you were fired, whereas a layoff is just an economic reality that does not imply fault on the side of the employee.

Why don't you stay for couple of months before you resign (hve a good reason), it's really bad record to choose either way, like you only use them to get GC.

How long back was your GC approved?

I just got my GC ealier this month (March08) after being stuck in name check for over 21 months. I know I am biased, but I feel as if I have paid my dues since during all those waiting months, I have been working for my sponsoring employer...and now I just think it's time to move on and explore what's out there.

I am not actually expecting to get fired or planning on doing something stupid with the objective of getting fired, but rather I just want to part ways with my employer in an amicable fashion. ;)

Well if you want quit, then do so. I would advise you to stay for at least 6 months after your GC approval. However you make that call. If you feel you have paid your dues to the firm that is responsible for you getting PR status in the US, then there is no point asking others :)

I know I am biased, but I feel as if I have paid my dues since during all those waiting months, I have been working for my sponsoring employer

To be on the safest side, I would suggest that you stay with the employer for 2 years after you get your Citizenship(u read that right). If you still feel insecure after that, then stay on for 2 more years.

To be on the safest side, I would suggest that you stay with the employer for 2 years after you get your Citizenship(u read that right). If you still feel insecure after that, then stay on for 2 more years.

I would suggest to be even safer, to work there until you die, and have your ashes sprinkled at the front door of your employer's head office, or perhaps a cryogenic coffin in the lobby.

This will remove most insecurity.

If that still leaves any doubt, indenture one or more of your offspring to the firm.

I didn't realize that the green card came with a free lobotomy.

I'm lining up right now

Only you working for all your life and dying for the company is not enough. If you have other family members they must also work for the employer who filed your greencard to pay back the dues of this great employer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Only you working for all your life and dying for the company is not enough. If you have other family members they must also work for the employer who filed your greencard to pay back the dues of this great employer!

I think I already covered this.

Ahahaha I think was too much, 6 months working for them after getting the GC I think will be enough. Have good reason to leave your company then like establishing your own business, etc.

I would suggest to be even safer, to work there until you die, and have your ashes sprinkled at the front door of your employer's head office, or perhaps a cryogenic coffin in the lobby.

This will remove most insecurity.

If that still leaves any doubt, indenture one or more of your offspring to the firm.

I didn't realize that the green card came with a free lobotomy.

I'm lining up right now

LOL. Looks like a great plan. The moderators should make this a sticky!