quick citizenship questions

ETA

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I used to be a fairly regular poster in the I-140 / I-485 forums. That was around 5 years ago (!) and now the point at which I (along with my wife and 2 kids) can apply for citizenship / naturalization is almost here.

I had a look through various FAQs but I didn't (yet) see any information on some fairly basic questions that I had. Could someone let me know the answers to these / point me to a thread / site where these are discussed?

#1: I'm currently a resident in MA (been here just over 4 years) -- does anyone have a rough idea of what the processing times are like these days for this area?

#2: Our 5 years of being permanent residents is still around 4 months away but is it possible to start the citizenship process before then (say tomorrow) in anticipation of that date arriving (in order to get citizenship done sooner)?

#3: Am I right that if my wife and myself apply for citizenship then my 2 non-US born kids (ages 12 and 14) will be able to get citizenship at the same time?

Thanks in advance,

ETA

You might file 90 days or 3 month which ever is later in advace to the 5th anniversary of the resident since on the green card. The wife has to file on her own. Children will become USC as soon as the first parent become USC, if that happens before they are 18.

#1: I'm currently a resident in MA (been here just over 4 years) -- does anyone have a rough idea of what the processing times are like these days for this area?
Check the appropriate threads in US Citizenship forum for timeline; usually it will be 4-8 months from filing to oath.

#2: Our 5 years of being permanent residents is still around 4 months away but is it possible to start the citizenship process before then (say tomorrow) in anticipation of that date arriving (in order to get citizenship done sooner)?
You can only file 90 days before 5 year anniversary of green card "resident from" date. Early filing can lead to rejection of application.

#3: Am I right that if my wife and myself apply for citizenship then my 2 non-US born kids (ages 12 and 14) will be able to get citizenship at the same time?
Yes, they will automatically become citizens the day either of you take oath. You can then apply for their US passports at the same time as you apply for yours. Their passport application will need 2 pieces of additional documents - their original green cards and their original birth certificates listing names of both parents. This is in addition to a copy of naturalization certificate of either parent, preferably mother's.

Thanks for the quick replies -- I see this forum is still as useful as it ever was :cool:!

FWIW, there's more info on these "derivative citizenships" here: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/04/29/2008-04-29_some_kids_get_automatic_citizenship.html. As nkm-oct23 and acr said, the kids would automatically become citizens as soon as myself and/or my wife become citizens -- no forms needed. We'd then typically get passports for the kids at the same time as my wife and myself get passports (it should NOT be necessary to file a N-600 for the kids in this case).

Again, apologies for these rookie questions ;).

ETA

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick replies -- I see this forum is still as useful as it ever was :cool:!

FWIW, there's more info on these "derivative citizenships" here: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/04/29/2008-04-29_some_kids_get_automatic_citizenship.html. As nkm-oct23 said, the kids would automatically become citizens as soon as myself and/or my wife become citizens -- no forms needed. We'd then typically get passports for the kids at the same time as my wife and myself get passports (it should NOT be necessary to file a N-600 for the kids in this case).

Again, apologies for these rookie questions ;).

ETA
What is it if not an insult the fact that you attibuted the credit to the second poster?

What is it if not an insult the fact that you attibuted the credit to the second poster?

Correction: As nkm-oct23 AND acr said, the kids would automatically become citizens as soon as myself and/or my wife become citizens... ;)

Sorry about that ;).

ETA

Yes, provided they live in your custody and have LPR status.

Hi all,

I used to be a fairly regular poster in the I-140 / I-485 forums. That was around 5 years ago (!) and now the point at which I (along with my wife and 2 kids) can apply for citizenship / naturalization is almost here.

I had a look through various FAQs but I didn't (yet) see any information on some fairly basic questions that I had. Could someone let me know the answers to these / point me to a thread / site where these are discussed?

Thanks in advance,

ETA

1) approx 4-6 months.
2) apply 90 days before 5th anniversary of your GC. Just to be safe, apply 83 days before 5th anniversary of your GC because if you apply now, they will reject your application and keep your fees (no refunds). so be careful!
3) When either one or your wife become US citizen, your kids (under 18) will become US citizens automatically. If you want certificates for your kids, you can apply for N-600 for your kids after you become US citizen.