Questions on my parents interview

hsjin76

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
Thanks for sharing all the information here.
I (US citizen) am sponsoring my parents and they got the IL finally.
My father's interview is scheduled at 1:45pm and my mother's at 2pm.
In this case, do they interview separately or they can get in together, if i ask the officer?
What do they ask in this case?

Also, can my husband get in with me and my parents to translate English for my parents? If he can, we have to bring our baby (1 year old) to the interview, because there is nobody else to take care of her.

Lastly, do we need to bring the Original birth certificate to the interview? we submitted all original documents with the application package. so I have only copies.

Hopefully the interview goes smooth. I will leave interview experience once we come back. Thanks.

Can anybody answer even a part of the questions?
I have no other place to get help from.
Thanks~:)

a
Hi,
Thanks for sharing all the information here.
I (US citizen) am sponsoring my parents and they got the IL finally.
My father's interview is scheduled at 1:45pm and my mother's at 2pm.
In this case, do they interview separately or they can get in together, if i ask the officer?
What do they ask in this case?

I would not recommend asking the interviewer anything. Just do as they ask and follow along

Also, can my husband get in with me and my parents to translate English for my parents? If he can, we have to bring our baby (1 year old) to the interview, because there is nobody else to take care of her.

I know USCIS allows interpreters into interviews, but I dont know if that interpreter can be a relaive. Maybe do an Internet search. It should be okay to bring your child

Lastly, do we need to bring the Original birth certificate to the interview? we submitted all original documents with the application package. so I have only copies.

See, the problem with submitting ORIGINALS to USCIS is that you may no get them back. Take copies of all the originals you submitted; after your interview, ask how you can get the originals back

Hopefully the interview goes smooth. I will leave interview experience once we come back. Thanks.

My mom's application was submitted late Oct. Just got interview letter for Jan 28. I am a little nervous too.

Received initial interview letter

I am in the same boat as both of you guys though the timeline seems to be a little expidited in my case.

Did your interview letter say it was "Request for application to appear for initial interview" ?

Here are my dates:

11/02/2009: Sent I-485,I-130,I-131,I-864,G325 to Chicago Lockbox by Fedex
11/
11/12/2009: Received rejection letter since I-130 had wrong check amount.
11/12/2009: Sent everything back with the right check amount by fedex.
11/13/2009: Received Date
11/19/2009: Notice Date
12/03/2009: Received FP Letter for 12/18/2009
12/08/2009: Walk-in FP appointment
12/28/2009: Received Initial interview letter for 01/26/2010 at San Jose.

I am now not sure what this initial interview is for. Could I be missing something in my application. There is also a typo in my Mom's I-485 which has my Dad's date of birth. We knew this at the fingerprint appointment and immediately called a Service Request through 1-800 number. I got a letter stating the service request has been forwarded to National Benefits Center and that I should set up INFOPass to discuss the case. We have INFOPass appointment for Dec 30th at a different district office (since my parents are in vacation in Detroit) . Now I am wondering if they should keep the appointment or just make the correction at the initial interview.

Any help is greatly appreciated. This whold process is mystifying no matter how many times you go through it.

Good luck to you guys too.

Do just that.

Thanks Triple Citizen. Is it common in AOS for parents to receive an interview notice?

And also, what threw me off was the subject which says Initial interview and goes on to say "You are hereby notified to appear for the interview appointment, as scheduled below, for the completion of your application to register permanent residence or adjust status (Form-I485) and any supporting applications or petitions". This seems like a form letter with contents applicable for all types of green card applications. Does everyone get the same letter for their interview or is this some special case letter?

I believe it is the same letter every one gets for interview.

Thanks Triple Citizen. Is it common in AOS for parents to receive an interview notice?

And also, what threw me off was the subject which says Initial interview and goes on to say "You are hereby notified to appear for the interview appointment, as scheduled below, for the completion of your application to register permanent residence or adjust status (Form-I485) and any supporting applications or petitions". This seems like a form letter with contents applicable for all types of green card applications. Does everyone get the same letter for their interview or is this some special case letter?

cs_123, Congrats on getting the interview letter. Quick Question: Does the interview letter explicitly asks for the petitioner/sponsor to appear along with the parents for interview? TIA.

There is a specific section in the letter that for me says the following. It doesnt say I as a sponsor need to be there, but I am planning on attending as an interpreter.

- If your eligibility is based on your marriage, your husband or wife must come with you to the interview
- if you do not speak english fluently, you should bring an interpreter
- Your attorney or authorized representative may come with you to the interview
- if your eligibility is based on a parent/child relationship and the child is a minor, the petitioning parent and the child must appear for the interview

cs_123, Congrats on getting the interview letter. Quick Question: Does the interview letter explicitly asks for the petitioner/sponsor to appear along with the parents for interview? TIA.