Questions on filing

lecinq

Registered Users (C)
I'm preparing to file. I was thinking of using a lawyer, but I'm having trouble picking one, especially when the fees range from $500 to $1500 (+expenses).

Anyway, thoughts of using a lawyer?

Maybe I'll just file on my own. I've looked through the form, and it looks straighforward. Some questions though:

1. The most current N-400 can be found here, right?
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/n-400.htm

2. I live in NYC, so I file with Vermont. Is this right?
(Address:
USINS Vermont Service Center
Attention N-400 Unit
75 Lower Weldon Street
St. Albans, VT 05479-0001)

Do they take FedEx packages?

3. According to the checklist in the Guide to Naturalization, I send in the following with the application:

a. Copies of green card
b. Photos
c. Fee

Anything else?

Please let me know if there're things I should be watching out for. Thanks very much.

Thanks JoeF. Now, is the Lower Weldon Street address for VSC appropriate for FedEx?

Yes, the Guide is indeed outdated, but the instructions to N-400 ask for one to look at the checklist in the Guide to see what's to be sent with the application. So it's a little circular. I guess what I'm asking is if there's anything else that needs to be sent.

Thanks again.

By the way, sorry, I meant to add that I've the "expected" answers for the various Yes/No questions, so explanations are not required. I do have an "unexpected" answer to one of the Yes/No questions and I plan to submit an explanation even though it's not required by the Instructions.

Thanks again.

Another question, by the way. I don't think that I've filed AR-11 for an address change (I gather that one is required to file this within 10 days of a move). Would this turn out to be a problem? Anyway, it seems like there isn't much I can do about it now.

!!?
can you explain what is form AR-11?
do we need to tell the INS every time we move to a new address?

Hi, you may want to start a new thread rather than post on mine, since that will probably allow you to get more responses.

I believe the use of the travel document is irrelevant.

And since you adjusted your status via marriage, the wait is only three years before naturalization. Unless you've taken long trips (six months or more), you can apply now, since you've passed the three-year mark.

I'm not an immigration lawyer (if I were, would I be posting immigration questions here? :)).

address change

whan I went for passport stamping( in 2001) upon approval of 485, I told the clerk of my new address, and she just asked me to cross out the address on approval notice and write the new address there. I did that, and in spite of that I received my green cards at previous address ( which thankfully I had given of a friend, who is still staying there).
Since then, I have sponsored my parents and in-laws numerous time( using I-131 , ithink, for visitor visas, and kept copies of that same) I filled my correct address in these tourist sponsor forms.
Should I still send the AR-11 form? Its been 2 years since I moved to this new address

Hi, you may want to start a new thread rather than post on mine, since that will probably allow you to get more responses.

I believe the use of the travel document is irrelevant.

And since you adjusted your status via marriage, the wait is only three years before naturalization. Unless you've taken long trips (six months or more), you can apply now, since you've passed the three-year mark.

I'm not an immigration lawyer (if I were, would I be posting immigration questions here? :)).

I found this on INS website: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/address.htm

"All non-U.S. citizens (aliens) who are required to be registered are also required to keep the USCIS informed of their current address. This is particularly important when you have filed an application or petition for a benefit under the Immigration and Nationality Act and expect notification of a decision on that application. In addition, the USCIS may need to contact you to provide other issued documents or return original copies of evidence you submitted"

what does 1st statement "who are REQUIRED to be registered " mean?

How does one register?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, just checking in again -- any other thoughts about what else I need to file and on using vs. not using a lawyer?

Thanks very much.