question regarding sponsoring wife/spouse

cnatar02

Registered Users (C)
i am a canandian permanent resident, landed in canada in sept 2003 from india and then returned back to india, within 7 days of landing in toronto. now i am planning to move permanently to toronto in aug 2005, to pursue my MBA and then stay back there. as per the new canadian immigration rules, i can be outside canada for 3 years out of any 5 year period. i have been outside canada now only for less than 2 years. so i should be okay, i guess.

now my questions to the forum are:

1. can i get married now before moving to canada in aug 2005? will i face any issues in sponsoring my wife who is in inida now, to canada?

2. will i have to be working or earning a salary in canada to sponsor my wife? can i be a student (i am a PR holder) and still sponsor my wife to canada?

3. i am planning on spending my own money and also take a loan to do my MBA in toronto. will my taking a loan pose an issue while i try to sponsor my wife to canada?

4. i have not filed any tax returns so far as i did not have any income in canada and only had a savings bank account that paid me perhaps less than CAD $50.00 in interest for the full year, for the past 2 years. now i believe that tax returns is one of the required documents for filing a PR application to sponsor my wife. in this case, will i face an issue? i.e. due to the fact that i have not filed for a tax return in the past, in canada?

5. what is the procedure that i need to follow to sponsor my wife to canada, from india? i mean the steps that i need to go through. what do i need to do first, then second, then... and so on?

6. can i file for my wife's PR sponsorship application, from india? i believe, i need to be in canada physically, before i can file the application. is that correct? what is the approx. timeframe that i am looking at from the time i file the sponsorship application, to the time my wife can join me in canada?

i am eagerly looking forward to answers to my questions and any valuble inputs from the forum, thanks.

1. can i get married now before moving to canada in aug 2005? will i face any issues in sponsoring my wife who is in inida now, to canada?

Yes you can get married. No there should be no issues sponsoring your wife. But you have to be prepared to answer questions about your absence from Canada for 2 years.

If you have already got admission into MBA program in a Univ in Canada it will help you establish the fact that you are coming back to establish yourself in Canada.

2. will i have to be working or earning a salary in canada to sponsor my wife? can i be a student (i am a PR holder) and still sponsor my wife to canada?

There is no minimum income requirement to sponsor your spouse.

3. i am planning on spending my own money and also take a loan to do my MBA in toronto. will my taking a loan pose an issue while i try to sponsor my wife to canada?

No problem

4. i have not filed any tax returns so far as i did not have any income in canada and only had a savings bank account that paid me perhaps less than CAD $50.00 in interest for the full year, for the past 2 years. now i believe that tax returns is one of the required documents for filing a PR application to sponsor my wife. in this case, will i face an issue? i.e. due to the fact that i have not filed for a tax return in the past, in canada?

No idea. You should consult a professional regarding this issue.

5. what is the procedure that i need to follow to sponsor my wife to canada, from india? i mean the steps that i need to go through. what do i need to do first, then second, then... and so on?

Please visit the website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/fc.html
Download the guides and read them very carefully. The entire process is explained in detail. Brief steps are:
1) Fill in all the forms. Your wife gets her medical done and provide all the necessary document like PCC, proof of marriage etc.
2) Send the complete package to Mississauga. You will be first approved as a sponsor approx 1 month.
3) File will then be sent to New Delhi. They will review your case and take a decision in 2 to 3 months. Your wife may be called for an interview if they doubt your relationship so make sure you provide ample proof of your marriage.

6. can i file for my wife's PR sponsorship application, from india? i believe, i need to be in canada physically, before i can file the application. is that correct? what is the approx. timeframe that i am looking at from the time i file the sponsorship application, to the time my wife can join me in canada?

NO. You have to be physically present in Canada to sponsor your wife. India is one of the fastest visa post to sponsor spouse - Approx 1 to 3 months.

thank you very much kenny04.

any other personal experiences that anyone would like to share, on my questions above please?