Question regarding interview

ndc121

Registered Users (C)
I received my interview letter and I have some questions about how to deal with an issue that might arise in the interview.

I applied for AOS in 3/06 based on marriage. It was approved in 9/06. When the green card arrived it had the PR since date as 3/06, not 9/06. I did an info pass and showed them the error. They showed me a printout of my record in their computer and it showed PR since 3/06. They didn't seem to care and I left.

In 1/08 I applied to remove conditions (based on the earlier PR since date) and the application was approved and I got a 10 yr gc with the same PR since date of 3/06.

When I came to apply for USC, I applied based on the 9/06 date just incase they discovered the discrepancy. However, I wrote PR since 3/06 on the application because that is what it says on my green card and the instructions tell you to write that.

My question is, do I tell the interviewer right up front about the issue? or do I wait to see if they pick it up?

I received my interview letter and I have some questions about how to deal with an issue that might arise in the interview.

I applied for AOS in 3/06 based on marriage. It was approved in 9/06. When the green card arrived it had the PR since date as 3/06, not 9/06. I did an info pass and showed them the error. They showed me a printout of my record in their computer and it showed PR since 3/06. They didn't seem to care and I left.

In 1/08 I applied to remove conditions (based on the earlier PR since date) and the application was approved and I got a 10 yr gc with the same PR since date of 3/06.

When I came to apply for USC, I applied based on the 9/06 date just incase they discovered the discrepancy. However, I wrote PR since 3/06 on the application because that is what it says on my green card and the instructions tell you to write that.

My question is, do I tell the interviewer right up front about the issue? or do I wait to see if they pick it up?

I don't think it matters. In their records, it seems to show that your legal permanent residency started 03/06. If you want to get it off your chest then bring it up to the IO based on how you think the interview is going. It will most likely come up during the review of your N-400 anyway. Since 09/06 will be three years from your 09/09 interview date, it looks like you will be covered under the 3-year LPR through marriage rule anyway.

It doesn't seem like a big deal because if you are applying for naturalization based on a 3-year marital union, the questions you will have to answer will most likely have more to do with establishing the validity of that marital union for the past three years than about possible administrative errors in their computer system.

You are just looking to give yourself big big hard time, just leave it as stated “LPR since 03/06” and say or do nothing. Let them figure it out if there is a problem.

You have already validated the fact that their system shows you were a PR since 3/06. I see absolutely no reason to bring this up during the interview...

With large Corporations and Government organizations, it is best to just answer questions rather than offer information. If their systems show 3/06 then it is 3/06 as far as they know.

Thank you for your advice. I left a couple of things out that I suppose led me to think it might be more of an issue.

I got married in early 03/06 and the PR date is late 03/06, so I thought the IO would notice when s/he is figuring out whether I meet the requirements (3yrs marriage and 3 years LPR)

The other thing is that after I got the I485 approval notice in 09/06, they generated more approvals in 10/06 for some reason. So if the IO saw those he might think that I had applied too early.

Thank you for your advice. I left a couple of things out that I suppose led me to think it might be more of an issue.

I got married in early 03/06 and the PR date is late 03/06, so I thought the IO would notice when s/he is figuring out whether I meet the requirements (3yrs marriage and 3 years LPR)

The other thing is that after I got the I485 approval notice in 09/06, they generated more approvals in 10/06 for some reason. So if the IO saw those he might think that I had applied too early.

As everyone else on this thread as suggested, just leave it alone. If they bring it up, you can explain it. If they don't bring it up, you'll be done and onto the next phase... :)