Question re: SSN & A#

rogersck

Registered Users (C)
I got my EAD in the mail yesterday. I am applying for a job and was asked by HR to complete their application online. However, I don't have SSN yet and of course I can't submit the application without filling out the required fields. Is it appropriate to use the A# in the SSN field for now then update my info with the company after I get my SSN? If that's not the proper way to do it, then please educate me :p

I did not give them any SSN, not even my A# (since it has nothing to do with the IRS).

Just took employment with them and once I got my SSN, I got paid (for 1 month and 1/2 of due wages).

No, you cannot use an A # in place of a SSN.

You need to go to your nearest SS Office and apply for one.

They will give you written confirmation that you have applied for one and you can show this to your employer till you actually receive the card in the mail.

I got my EAD in the mail yesterday. I am applying for a job and was asked by HR to complete their application online. However, I don't have SSN yet and of course I can't submit the application without filling out the required fields. Is it appropriate to use the A# in the SSN field for now then update my info with the company after I get my SSN? If that's not the proper way to do it, then please educate me :p

Also I would not give your ss# over the internet. You are not required to give your ss# on a job application, once you are hired then supply them with that info. As rogersck said apply for one in the mean time. Once you are hired, you will have to fill out an employee packet supply them with the prove that you applied for your ss# at that time, then let them proceed from their. One or two things shall happen. 1. they accept the letter from ss office, which they should. Or tell you to come back. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the reply. Weird thing tho with the hospitals that I am applying at, they all have initial online applications. They don't allow walk-ins, nor will they entertain my application unless I fill out the online form. On their form, they have the SSN field that is required to get filled out or else I won't be able to submit the form. I'm still trying to get a way around it but to no avail so far :(

I just came back from SSA and they said it will take 7-10 days to receive my SSCard, but I was told that I can call after 3 days and verify if my status is cleared and I can drop by to get my number.

I guess I will have to wait it out, I was out early today to go to SSA and checked out some hospitals...maybe the nursing homes might accept walk-ins :p Eh, oh well, I waited this long already for the EAD, a couple more days won't hurt I suppose :) Just that, it's more frustrating having the card with me and yet still can't do anything but wait :(

I guess I will have to wait it out, I was out early today to go to SSA and checked out some hospitals...maybe the nursing homes might accept walk-ins :p Eh, oh well, I waited this long already for the EAD, a couple more days won't hurt I suppose :) Just that, it's more frustrating having the card with me and yet still can't do anything but wait :(

O no, don't say that. At least you have the card and know what you're on. But not having the card is so frustrating. Especially when others with your same timeline are getting news and you're not. Just alittle more patience and you'll get their.

Ok Prae, will try that. And yeah Trini, I understand how frustrating it is to not receive news. As you've said, we'll all get there. Patience. :p

Is it a field where you can enter text? Then I'd enter N/A for the SSN. Otherwise, all zeros as Praetorian suggested should probably alert them to the fact it's not a real number.

If you want to get more creative, let this be your guide: (copied from wikipedia)

Currently, a valid SSN cannot have an area number above 772, the highest area number which the Social Security Administration has allocated.

There are also special numbers which will never be allocated:

* Numbers with all zeros in any digit group (000-xx-xxxx, xxx-00-xxxx, xxx-xx-0000).
* Numbers of the form 666-xx-xxxx, probably due to the potential controversy. Though the omission of this area number is not acknowledged by the SSA, it remains unassigned.
* Numbers from 987-65-4320 to 987-65-4329 are reserved for use in advertisements.

If you ever do have to submit your SSN online for some purpose, make sure you're on a secure page that sends the data encrypted over the net. ID theft criminals can do you great damage with this information; although the majority of ID theft is actually from stolen/trashed paper mail so watch our there, too.

Thank you Austriacus for taking the time to get that info. I was able to submit the 000-00-0000 online, but I don't know if they will acknowledge my application since they pretty much know that it isn't a valid SSN. I just hope they get the point that my SSN is still in the works.

About being creative with the number, I don't know if they can count that (supplying a fake SSN) against me and it's scary :(

However, thank you all for trying to help me find a solution and get around this problem.

INXS: One of them is not asking for my SSN, but for my driver's license number. WTH is wrong with these people :(

Last edited by a moderator:
rogersck, well that's why I posted which ones are invalid anyway, so it wouldn't be fake. ;) But I meant it more as a joke, in order to not confuse them, all zeros still seems the best option.

Perhaps you can follow up with an email or phone call stating you don't have a SSN yet but will have one soon? But I believe what trinigirl said is true, you only need to give them an SSN when they make you an offer of employment. (Perhaps a worker protection clause? To prevent unauthorized background checks that shouldn't affect your employability?)

when I applied online b4 I got my ssn, I used the ead number. it worked for me they called me for an interview. hope this help

thanks for the replies again...i wasnt able to log on yesterday. Wow, almost 2 months before you got your SSN? that sux.

Update: I called SSA today and was informed that my card was sent out yesterday :) I guess I don't need to wait that long. I'm so ecstatic right now. Thanks for all the advices and encouragement :)

Update: I called SSA today and was informed that my card was sent out yesterday :) I guess I don't need to wait that long. I'm so ecstatic right now. Thanks for all the advices and encouragement :)

Wow - that was fast. Good for you!