Question on B1 VIsa ext - granted visa only for 3 months with single entry permit

Visitor visa Extension

my dad has applied for his visa and only got 3 month single entry,
I would like to know -

- will the officer at port of entry allow him to stay only for this short duration or can he give something beyond this date?

- if we can apply for extension w/ single entry, how long it takes to get an answer from INS - ?

- when do we have to leave if the extension is rejected - how can we make sure that the ticket is available at the time of applying for extension

- will the airlines give tckt for 6 moths when the visa is only for 3 months, will the airlines extend the ticket at no cost?

Would appreciate if someone responds to this...

thx

Originally posted by 01212003
Visitor visa Extension

my dad has applied for his visa and only got 3 month single entry,
I would like to know -

- will the officer at port of entry allow him to stay only for this short duration or can he give something beyond this date?

- if we can apply for extension w/ single entry, how long it takes to get an answer from INS - ?

- when do we have to leave if the extension is rejected - how can we make sure that the ticket is available at the time of applying for extension

- will the airlines give tckt for 6 moths when the visa is only for 3 months, will the airlines extend the ticket at no cost?

Would appreciate if someone responds to this...

thx

The visa allows your dad to apply for entry into US. THe immigration officer decides how long your dad will be allowed to stay and will stamp the I-94 with the date. 6 months stay is granted routinely. The stay is NOT tied to visa expiration or number of entries allowed in the visa. Airlines also know this and will give tickets for 6 months.If you need extension beyond 6 months you should apply at least 1 month before the I-94 expiration date. You should also have a good reason for asking extension. If it is denied, your dad has to leave immediately.