• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

question dual citizenship

mondays

Hi guys,

I've been reading through the topics for hours but couldn't find the answer so made an account. What a great community you have here!

I have a question. I'm a researcher on a J1 visa in Boston. I met a girl here and I think she's the one and I'd like to stay here with her because she won't leave the US (she's a native american).

I don't want to propose to her just to be able to stay here and would just want to try my chances through this visa.

I am born and raised in the Netherlands, my parents are both born in Turkey (and if I'd want to, I could get a Turkish passport. I already have a Turkish ID card but that's a national ID and not recognized internationally: compare it to your drivers license).

Can I use my Turkish nationality or not? I think the odds of getting in as a Turkish person are way higher than as a Dutch one!

Thank you for your thoughts.

Best

Hi guys,

I've been reading through the topics for hours but couldn't find the answer so made an account. What a great community you have here!

I have a question. I'm a researcher on a J1 visa in Boston. I met a girl here and I think she's the one and I'd like to stay here with her because she won't leave the US (she's a native american).

I don't want to propose to her just to be able to stay here and would just want to try my chances through this visa.

I am born and raised in the Netherlands, my parents are both born in Turkey (and if I'd want to, I could get a Turkish passport. I already have a Turkish ID card but that's a national ID and not recognized internationally: compare it to your drivers license).

Can I use my Turkish nationality or not? I think the odds of getting in as a Turkish person are way higher than as a Dutch one!

Thank you for your thoughts.

Best

First. It's a lottery - not a "plan". You enter in October each year, the results are announced the following May and Processing starts 6 to 18 months after that.

Second. Eligibility is based on your place of birth, not citizenship. You would enter charging to Netherlands, not Turkey.

Third. The chance of selection is by region, not country. The chances of selection for Turkish and Dutch entries are identical. Turkey gets more selectees because more people from there enter the lottery - nothing other than that. The chance of selection for EU is approximately 1 in 100 - meaning you could apply every year and only expect to win once out of each 100 years - hence why I say it is not a plan.

If your girl is the one I would suggest you work out a romantic marriage proposal.