Question concerning international travel during the naturalization application process

mimijean1234

Registered Users (C)
Hello All.

A quick question concerning international travel during my naturalization application process: On July 6th, my online status with USCIS changed to "in line for interview scheduling" (I had my fingerprint done on July 3rd). However, I will be traveling out of the U.S. to Taiwan for around three weeks next month for a study tour. Since it is a full scholarship opportunity provided by my university, it is impossible to cancel the trip at this juncture. In this case, is it possible for me to call or write to USCIS asking them NOT to schedule my naturalization interview during that three week period? Moreover, do I need to fill in any USCIS forms or notify USCIS in advance concerning my trip?

What I am worried about is that if the interview letter comes before I leave the U.S., I should be fine since I could reschedule the interview if the date happens to fall in that period. However, if the interview letter comes AFTER I leave, it will be difficult for me since my roommate is not in the apartment over the summer and I have nobody to take care of my letters.

Thank you so much.

Hello All.

A quick question concerning international travel during my naturalization application process: On July 6th, my online status with USCIS changed to "in line for interview scheduling" (I had my fingerprint done on July 3rd). However, I will be traveling out of the U.S. to Taiwan for around three weeks next month for a study tour. Since it is a full scholarship opportunity provided by my university, it is impossible to cancel the trip at this juncture. In this case, is it possible for me to call or write to USCIS asking them NOT to schedule my naturalization interview during that three week period? Moreover, do I need to fill in any USCIS forms or notify USCIS in advance concerning my trip?

What I am worried about is that if the interview letter comes before I leave the U.S., I should be fine since I could reschedule the interview if the date happens to fall in that period. However, if the interview letter comes AFTER I leave, it will be difficult for me since my roommate is not in the apartment over the summer and I have nobody to take care of my letters.

Thank you so much.

The difference between the date the interview letter arrives and the actual interview date will certainly be longer than three weeks - in fact longer (usually by a fair amount) than a month. So even if the letter arrives while you are away, you will not miss the interview.

The difference between the date the interview letter arrives and the actual interview date will certainly be longer than three weeks - in fact longer (usually by a fair amount) than a month. So even if the letter arrives while you are away, you will not miss the interview.

Thank you so much. Another question is that do I need to fill in any forms or notify USCIS in advance about my trip, or should I just tell the IO during the interview about my most recent trip?

Thank you so much. Another question is that do I need to fill in any forms or notify USCIS in advance about my trip, or should I just tell the IO during the interview about my most recent trip?

I have a similar question - I plan to go for a week and a half abroad and was wondering if we need to fill out any details or make that update at the time of the interview?

You'll just need to update the info about any extra trips taking since submitting N-400 during the interview. You don't need to do anything else now.