Question about I-131!

acidor

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys-

I am an American citizen and I applied for adjustment of status for my husband. He already received his employment authorization card, as well as the interview letter. However, I am pretty confused about his application for travel document.

In the initial package that we sent to USCIS, we also included an I-131 application. We requested a travel document because his national passport is expired and it take a long time to renew it through the country's consulate in Chicago.

In regard to the application mentioned above, he received I-512L, authorization for parole of an alien into the United States, and according to what I read this form is valid for a temporarily travel outside of the United States until his adjustment of status will take place.

Well, my question is: Once his adjustment of status is finalized and he receives his greencard, is he going to receive another travel document, such as a reentry permit? I find it hard to believe that we paid so much money just to receive this one time, temporary authorization for parole.

Any response is going to be greatly appreciated!

Once he receives his GC he will no longer need AP as the GC allows the (now) permanent resident to travel outside of the US.

The AP should not have cost you any money as it should have been free provided you filed for it along with his AOS documents.

I really don't understand what you are saying. How can you travel outside of the United States with the green card only? It is my understanding that in addition to the greencard, you need a passport or a travel document of some sort...

He will need a passport (though this is nothing to do with USCIS or AOS), but he wont need a travel document as the GC will suffice.

I know he needs a passport, but it takes close to 6 months to obtain it throught the country's consulate and we would like to travel in a few months. We applied for a travel document (I-131), and that application in not used only for advance parole, but for refugee permit as well as re-entry permit. The re-entry permit is used for greencard holders that for different reasons can't renew their national passports and they wish to travel outside of the United States...I know that for a fact because I was in that situation!

i meant that when you gonna come back to USA you won't need anything but green card as proof of your legal status in USA. You need to make passport. I'm from russia. We have 2 passports: internal and external(for traveling abroad) For example: if i want to leave with expired passport i won't have any problems, they will let me out of the USA. and because i have internal russian passport they will let me enter russia and over there i can change my passport and then come back to USA with new passport and green card, i don't need anything else, that's what i meant. But i have no idea how it is with other countries

I know he needs a passport, but it takes close to 6 months to obtain it throught the country's consulate and we would like to travel in a few months. We applied for a travel document (I-131), and that application in not used only for advance parole, but for refugee permit as well as re-entry permit. The re-entry permit is used for greencard holders that for different reasons can't renew their national passports and they wish to travel outside of the United States...I know that for a fact because I was in that situation!
green card holders who leaving USA for more then a year need re-entry permit otherwise you won't need it.

In the initial package that we sent to USCIS, we also included an I-131 application. We requested a travel document because his national passport is expired and it take a long time to renew it through the country's consulate in Chicago.
The Reentry Permit and Refugee Travel Documents are accepted in place of a passport by many countries, but your husband currently doesn't qualify for either. And the Advance Parole (I-512L) is not a substitute for a passport; he would still need a passport to reenter the US with it. So if you filed the I-131 because his passport was expired, you wasted your time.

The purpose of Advance Parole for someone with a pending I-485 is to preserve the I-485 while traveling outside the US; otherwise the I-485 would be canceled as a result of leaving the US while it is pending (unless the individual has a dual-intent visa that allows such travel without Advance Parole).

Well, my question is: Once his adjustment of status is finalized and he receives his greencard, is he going to receive another travel document, such as a reentry permit? I find it hard to believe that we paid so much money just to receive this one time, temporary authorization for parole.
"So much money"? The I-131 has no extra fee, if the I-485 was filed after the Summer 2007 fee restructuring.

Note that the Advance Parole is not just for one-time use; it can be used multiple times until it expires. Also note that if your husband was illegally present for more than 180 days, he won't be able to use the Advance Parole to reenter the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
green card holders who leaving USA for more then a year need re-entry permit otherwise you won't need it.

Except that people who don't have a national passport can use a reentry permit in place of a passport when traveling to the countries that accept it like a passport.

Jackolantern-

You are absolutely right! I did a little research, and everything you mentioned is correct!
I made a mistake with my first posting...the I-131 application that was approved was only until he gets his green card and you are right, we didn't pay anything. I confused the I-131 application with the I-130.
However, my question is the following: Since it takes so long to get a national passport throught the consulate, once he gets his green card, can he apply for a re-entry permit? If so, do you guys have any idea how long does it take to process it and if there is a way to expedit that process?

Jackolantern-

However, my question is the following: Since it takes so long to get a national passport throught the consulate, once he gets his green card, can he apply for a re-entry permit? If so, do you guys have any idea how long does it take to process it and if there is a way to expedit that process?

You are clearly confused about this green card process and the passport issue. The renewal of his passport could take 1000 years, HE is still required to show that passport along with this green card or advance parole. It appears he never paid attention to the expiration date on his passport, unlike the majority of people who actually consult with the consular officers to check the processing of their renewal, so as to plan well in advance. He is screwed and HE HAS NO ALTERNATIVE, BUT TO FILE FOR A PASSPORT RENEWAL. The US govt cannot help him with HIS passport, it is a national matter between HIM and HIS COUNTRY. The chances of you both traveling overseas appear non-existence at this time, because I can't see him traveling on his green card, IT CANNOT BE DONE.

You need to do research on what is the purpose of a re-entry permit. Assuming he planned to the live abroad for over a year, HE STILL needs his passport to leave the US to travel abroad. In short, forget about going overseas for now, the advanced parole documentation should be kept as a souvenir and HE needs to focus on renewing his passport. You should plan for overseas in Spring 2011.

I hope this is clear. :(

You need to do research on what is the purpose of a re-entry permit. Assuming he planned to the live abroad for over a year, HE STILL needs his passport to leave the US to travel abroad.

No. There are several countries that allow visitors to show a US-issued reentry permit instead of a national passport. And upon returning to the US, the US will allow entry with the reentry permit even without a passport.

Acidor's husband wants a reentry permit because of the extended time to obtain the national passport. However, the reentry permit takes 3-6 months, so it won't necessarily arrive any faster than the passport.

No. There are several countries that allow visitors to show a US-issued reentry permit instead of a national passport. And upon returning to the US, the US will allow entry with the reentry permit even without a passport.

Acidor's husband wants a reentry permit because of the extended time to obtain the national passport. However, the reentry permit takes 3-6 months, so it won't necessarily arrive any faster than the passport.

The problem with this approach is this, is he planning to visit countries that ONLY accept this type of documentation only? If not, then he is screwed. I find this to be short-sighted and another sign of poor planner. :( I suspect that they are going to spend more $$$ on this re-entry permit and his passport renewal is about $20...

Al Southner-

Let's make one thing clear: it is not about poor planning, and you must understand that people come to the United States from all over the world, and the national consulate and its officers are not as useful as one would like to be. We checked with the consulate, and it is not as easy to renew a national passport as it might seem...
Also, I posted this question to see other opinions, not to be judged; therefore, please refrain from that kind of language! In addition, the passport fee at our national consulate is way more expensive than $20!...just so you know!

Jackolantern, the country that we are planning to go accepts re-entry permit, so that will work for us for the moment! If not, there is always the chance to get a temporary travel document from the consulate, and spend a few days in the home country to renew everything else.
Thanks again for all your help! It is greatly appreciated!

Al Southner-

Let's make one thing clear: it is not about poor planning, and you must understand that people come to the United States from all over the world, and the national consulate and its officers are not as useful as one would like to be. We checked with the consulate, and it is not as easy to renew a national passport as it might seem...
Also, I posted this question to see other opinions, not to be judged; therefore, please refrain from that kind of language! In addition, the passport fee at our national consulate is way more expensive than $20!...just so you know!

Jackolantern, the country that we are planning to go accepts re-entry permit, so that will work for us for the moment! If not, there is always the chance to get a temporary travel document from the consulate, and spend a few days in the home country to renew everything else.
Thanks again for all your help! It is greatly appreciated!

Yes, I have just became aware that people come to the US from all over the world, thanks for such a wonderful revelation. I've often wondered when I was at the airport, why there are so many planes, I've always thought they brought food and latest tech gadgets, now I see, they are brining people to the US from all over the world. Wow... I wish you have came to this forum sooner, I would be enlightened by your discovery....:)

Unless you need to eat a burger laden with dioxin at the Embassy gate before being allowed to renew your passport, I find your reasoning illogical. You need to consult your Embassy and ask them for an emergency passport, depending on your country, some can be done in a day or week and valid for 12 months. Did you inquire about this or you were concerned about 6 months which it takes to renew the passport?

You are too funny for my taste....
My reasoning might seem illogical to you, but that doesn't mean is not the right one; anyway, like I said before, my consulate doesn't work like yours (from what you have told me so far), and yes we did inquire about that. The only thing that they could offer is a temporary travel permit valid for 30 days and it becomes invalid once you enter the country of destination. After that it's the traveler responsibility to renew the national passport...just so you know!
You should have spend more than a couple semesters at Columbia Law School :)