Question about birth certificate and affidavit of support

Amsha

Hi

This is my first time here. I am a US citizen and am trying to sponsor my parents (from India) for a green card. They will be coming to the US in August for a visit. I have gone through the information in the forum and have a few questions. I would really appreciate answers from the knowledgeable folks on this site.

1. Do I have to provide my birth certificate? The certificate I have has the name of my father (and not mother).

2. My parents do not have any marriage certificate. There is an affidavit from the late father of my mother (my grand father). The affidavit mentions the marriage of my mother to my father (names, date, place). Will this be sufficient or should I get another affidavit from a person who attended the wedding of my parents?

3. In a template for the marriage certificate available at this site a portion mentions that the person giving the affidavit agrees to abide by the laws of the US even though the person resides in India. Any comments about this?

4. My parents do not have their birth certificate. Are affidavits from their siblings (in India) sufficient to establish their birth date? Plus, are copies of their passports showing the birth date acceptable?

5. Since my parents will be in the US (Nor Cal) when I apply, can their medical be done here in the Bay area?

6. I was recently laid off so cannot provide any letter of employment for the affidavit of support. Can I use my wife as co-sponsor? She is self employed.

7. Are only funds in the bank are needed or can I provide evidence of other sources like stocks? How much funds are needed to be shown?

Thanks a lot in advance to your response.

I would find a competent attorney to help you with everything. When you do things yourself, you may get lucky, but can get into trouble. Immigration law is obviously very complex.

As far as an affidavit of support, I believe people other than the sponsor are able to fulfill the responsibility. From what I understand self employed people would have to show tax returns with schedules.

Arizona
Thanks for your response. Good to know that I can get my wife as a co-sponsor.

I will consider getting an attorney, though I see on this site that a lot of people have been able to submit the petition. I was hoping to get some feedback from them.

Thanks a lot for your response

Your wife would fill contract with sponsor and household member (Part of I-864) affidavit of support
Affidavits from close relatives who can attest to fact of knowledge of birth and marriage would suffice is absence of birth and marriage certificates
You can also try to get no records found from local municipalities wherever they were born if they are unable to issue birth certificate

Here is the information requested.

Hi

This is my first time here. I am a US citizen and am trying to sponsor my parents (from India) for a green card. They will be coming to the US in August for a visit. I have gone through the information in the forum and have a few questions. I would really appreciate answers from the knowledgeable folks on this site.

1. Do I have to provide my birth certificate? The certificate I have has the name of my father (and not mother).

The Birth Certificate needs to show your relationship to both parents , please have the relevant office issue a corrected Birth Certificate to include your mother's name.

2. My parents do not have any marriage certificate. There is an affidavit from the late father of my mother (my grand father). The affidavit mentions the marriage of my mother to my father (names, date, place). Will this be sufficient or should I get another affidavit from a person who attended the wedding of my parents?

You will need affidavits from atleast two people identifying the when and where the marriage took place and the person's relationship to your parents and should be notarized in your home country.

3. In a template for the marriage certificate available at this site a portion mentions that the person giving the affidavit agrees to abide by the laws of the US even though the person resides in India. Any comments about this?

Please see the template on the Information source sticky threads at the top the forum .http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=202993

4. My parents do not have their birth certificate. Are affidavits from their siblings (in India) sufficient to establish their birth date? Plus, are copies of their passports showing the birth date acceptable?
You will need Non-Availability of Birth Certificate from the Local office in Indian and two notarized affidavits from people who witnessed the birth of your parents. http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=202993

5. Since my parents will be in the US (Nor Cal) when I apply, can their medical be done here in the Bay area?
Yes

6. I was recently laid off so cannot provide any letter of employment for the affidavit of support. Can I use my wife as co-sponsor? She is self employed.
Yes , Use the I-864 form

7. Are only funds in the bank are needed or can I provide evidence of other sources like stocks? How much funds are needed to be shown?
W-2 forms and Tax filings for the last three years

Thanks a lot in advance to your response.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks

Thanks Nav 102. I will check out the link for the NABC.

There are some services like yourmaninindia.com and saharacarehouse.com which can get the NABC from towns and cities in India.

thanks again

thanks

Your wife would fill contract with sponsor and household member (Part of I-864) affidavit of support
Affidavits from close relatives who can attest to fact of knowledge of birth and marriage would suffice is absence of birth and marriage certificates
You can also try to get no records found from local municipalities wherever they were born if they are unable to issue birth certificate

thanks whitemimauz3