Question about Address on File/Changing Address and RE Permit

vandeluca

Registered Users (C)
Four questions~(all related)

1. Am going to switch/change our address since we just rented our house out (and we are renting/tennants in another state). I was going through paperwork, and was wondering...IS the address WHERE they mailed the GC the address they have on file to date? For some reason I remember having the GC mailed to my parents home (which is the address where the GC came) but we never filled out a change form to do this..This was a question in the GC interview.........Is there a way to see what address is on file?

2. We just arrived to the other state last Tues night (after driving for 3 day)but my FIL fell and is terminally ill so my husband is travelling out of country tomorrow for a week to make sure he is ok. No license, address is changed yet...Does he need to change license FIRST before filing change of address? Is there a proper sequence to this? I am asking this because he will probably be filing a RE permit when he returns from this next trip..and don't want logistical/mailing mess ups affecting anything. (ie should have filed license, then change of address THEN RE permit, etc)

3. I know they want you to change the address 10 days after doing so. He will not back until next Friday, (therefore no license change, etc yet)..which is slightly after. Can this be a problem??

4. If you flie a RE permit, are you allowed to do a change of address while you are out of country? This part of the question I am thinking at a later date not now...as in 2 years from now I don't see us renting this townhouse...Thanks!

So in summary...what sequence to do all of this and how long after doing that should we file the RE permit...? Everything sort of happened at once... Thanks!

Thanks..Don't want any problem:)V

ps.I have temporarily forwarded (ie..Fed EX) all of our mail in bulk (paid for this) for a couple weeks until I get this straight....(no formal forwarding from USPS as of yet..so nothing will be getting turned away/sent back/problem...

Last edited by a moderator:
Updating a address while in a Permanent Resident Status is very important and should be done within 10 days, failure to do so may even result in deportation proceedings. I don't think they go to that extreme but there is a provision in the Law that gives them the power to do that.
I will change my address with USCIS immediately, it's convenient and can be done online.
Switching drivers license etc can wait, just do it whenever he gets back, not switching a license or updating address at least do not not come with such a harsh punishment as USCIS.

Thanks..I just read that form online. It asks for Port of Entry and date. Is that the most recent trip that they are asking about?

Yes..I just was thinking I needed to prove we changed address ie..license..So I was trying to see if the horse comes before or after the cart so to speak...

But now I am paranoid.....the lease we signed (as the landlord) starts August 15 and he is coming back the 25/26 (I am trying to book the ticket back and not success yet...very $$$$$)....

I hope you can tell me he can do it while he travels...(without a headache..V

Also I see now I have to file something too...as the sponsor (marriage) of a GC holder..Wow did not realize....THanks for this board..

WOW!!! Have they ever done that?

You might be surprised, they have actually started proceedings on those grounds, in my 6 plus years of providing immigration help through a religious organization I came across a case where a officer in Philly put a LPR in proceedings when the person was coming back from a trip, the guy was send to secondary and got this officer that was very anal about things in my opinion and asked him about the address on his Customs declaration form, the person admitted that he did not changed his address and was living at the new address for the last 2 years and the address on the Declaration is his new address.
The officer then put him thru intense questioning about all the trips he had and after four hours of misery kept his GC and gave him a letter to come to his DO with a date and time to determine his admissibility.
In the end the guy won his admission but why hassle yourself for something so simple and it is the Law BTW that only takes a minute to file online.

LOL..he is probably coming back via Philly..I am hearing uptight stories of late from there..4 hours is crazy!

... a case where a officer in Philly put a LPR in proceedings when the person was coming back from a trip, the guy was send to secondary and got this officer that was very anal about things in my opinion and asked him about the address on his Customs declaration form, the person admitted that he did not changed his address and was living at the new address for the last 2 years and the address on the Declaration is his new address ...

Sorry to say but this does not convince me. So the address issue came up after he was sent to secondary. If you are sent to secondary, you should expect to be questioned. They can raise stink about anything.

Not to say that you should not follow the law in terms of filing paperwork.

But if the officer in secondary finds a discrepancy, what is he/she supposed to do? Or even if the primary finds a discrepancy, what should he/she do?

I don't need convincing. We will do it, it was just the logistics of it all for us in this time period.He is definitely coming back next Thurs which technically is one day later (past our lease where we gave up possession of our house)...unless he can do it out of country or have me do..OR to be honest we don't even HAVE to consider ourselves as having moved YET fully.You can give up your house but not be considered moved right??

Again, since I have to fill one out for me, can I also do his at the same time or is this a problem?? (I am sure the answer is no)..

TX..V

Sorry to say but this does not convince me. So the address issue came up after he was sent to secondary. If you are sent to secondary, you should expect to be questioned. They can raise stink about anything.

Not to say that you should not follow the law in terms of filing paperwork.

But if the officer in secondary finds a discrepancy, what is he/she supposed to do? Or even if the primary finds a discrepancy, what should he/she do?

I just give advice, not here to make a believer out of everybody.

I just give advice, not here to make a believer out of everybody.

Scaring is not giving advice. The example you gave talks about 1 case you heard of, with no public references, and that too has its own baggage. That's what I am trying to point out. Again, I am not telling people to ignore the law, but they should know the true impact of not following the law. I think Jaywalking is a much more serious offense with consequences the way laws are implemented at this point of time.

Scaring is not giving advice. The example you gave talks about 1 case you heard of, with no public references, and that too has its own baggage. That's what I am trying to point out. Again, I am not telling people to ignore the law, but they should know the true impact of not following the law. I think Jaywalking is a much more serious offense with consequences the way laws are implemented at this point of time.

Not scaring anyone, just want people to not take it easy with at least USCIS. Although I see where you are coming from, with all the stories I have heard dealing with 10 plus people a week and helping with their immigration matters, has made me more pessimistic than being optimistic at least with USCIS and their doings.

Even if it happens to one person..that means it happens. Maybe not regularly..but still. Anyway...we will change it and I actually called in (not that it matters) and the 10 days is considered from when the LPR Permanently moves...so to us...we are not permanently moved yet.. I have 30 days....We have not unpacked, forwarded mail, etc.... Just physcally put ourselves somewhere else for the next 2 weeks or so..I am not worrying over this 10 day business to the point of splitting hairs.

Oh and BTW...apparently you CANNOT change your address online unless you have a case pending. Sure you can print it out from online but not turn it in via online. Must be mailed...so I was told..

ALSO..Namecheck vicitm...I actually sent the attorney a quick email about what date to put and she said the DATE on the green card

TX