Q on Arizona's new law

rpranesh

Registered Users (C)
I am not a resident of Arizona. I am a NATZ USC. Do i need to carry proof of citizenship if i travel to AZ? The news articles were mentioning that a LPR needs to carry green card. How about USC?

I am not a resident of Arizona. I am a NATZ USC. Do i need to carry proof of citizenship if i travel to AZ? The news articles were mentioning that a LPR needs to carry green card. How about USC?

I always encourage naturalization citizens to apply for passport CARD along with passport book. Passport card fits in a wallet. The new AZ law will take effect in 90 days from now. Unless courts strike down the law, carrying the card all the time is the best way to do it, if you are non-white. If you are white, your skin color is the proof that you are REAL American and cops won't bother you. That's what the law says, not me.

How would they know if you are a USC, LPR, temp visa or illegal? Well the easy way is by skin color and accent. In other words profiling.

I know that I can carry PC, but why is not my state DL a legal status proof. GA does not provide a DL unless they verify the immigration documents.

The way I understand this new law is that if police have the reason to suspect you are in this country illegally, they can detain you until they check with federal authorities. I do not see anything preventing them from detaining naturalised citizens if the latter have a "wrong" skin colour, accent or just do not look American enough.

On a political note, what I find ironic is how all conservatives are so terrified of a "police state" and yet it was them who moved Arizona closer to the police state than ever.

How about someone with expired visa and I-94 but with a valid 485 pending? What happens if such a person gets stopped on a weekend and the officer is not able to verify with USCIS because they are closed? Do they have to spend the weekend in a prison even though they are legal.

How about someone with expired visa and I-94 but with a valid 485 pending? What happens if such a person gets stopped on a weekend and the officer is not able to verify with USCIS because they are closed? Do they have to spend the weekend in a prison even though they are legal.

It is all possible, but I think in this age of 24 X 7 - critical law enforcement would not be closed for the weekend.

However, this will probably make the companies / lawyers who file at last minute think twice and file much in advance. A company I used to work for would always file H1 extension 1 week before it expired to get most bang for the buck ... while they can still continue doing so, a few high profile people in the lockup for the weekend will slowly but surely change this practice.
[EDIT] What I mean to say is that immigration will not have a record of such extensions if filed last minute, and although a minority (pun intended), these people would be at a risk of not having their correct status updated in the computers.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, this will probably make the companies / lawyers who file at last minute think twice and file much in advance. A company I used to work for would always file H1 extension 1 week before it expired to get most bang for the buck ...

Sorry to drag this off-topic, but what were they hoping to achieve? If I have an H-1 petition from January 1st 2008 to December 31st, 2010, the extension will be from Jan 1, 20011 to Dec 31 2013 no matter when it's filed.

It is possible to file extension filed at last minute and maintain your status for i guess 240 days before renewal is approved. How will AZ police know?

I'm not a fan of this new law, especially with the way it is expected to be enforced, but something tells me that it won't be too bad overall, especially because, though the police will have been mandated to use their judgment to stop people, they will be watched VERY closely, and will have to control themselves out of fear of being accused of an abuse of power. Still, if you would like to protest this law, which you have every right to do, avoid Arizona. What does the state offer, really? A big hole in the ground (the Grand Canyon) and a smaller one (Meteor Crater)? Golf? As for the other geographical features, New Mexico is similar (and is a great state!), so go there.

As for the "conservatives" being hypocrites, are you surprised? They aren't really conservatives. They've proved that they are nothing but bigots, so let's call them that.

I'm not a fan of this new law, especially with the way it is expected to be enforced, but something tells me that it won't be too bad overall, especially because, though the police will have been mandated to use their judgment to stop people, they will be watched VERY closely, and will have to control themselves out of fear of being accused of an abuse of power. Still, if you would like to protest this law, which you have every right to do, avoid Arizona. What does the state offer, really? A big hole in the ground (the Grand Canyon) and a smaller one (Meteor Crater)? Golf? As for the other geographical features, New Mexico is similar (and is a great state!), so go there.

As for the "conservatives" being hypocrites, are you surprised? They aren't really conservatives. They've proved that they are nothing but bigots, so let's call them that.

Of course you are not but you also do not have an estimated 450K illegal aliens livinig nearby. It is easy to judge from Brooklyn while the southern states getting swamped by illegals.

Also NYC (so far) is not the kidnapping capital of the US.

http://www.nationalterroralert.com/updates/2009/02/13/kidnapping-capital-of-the-usa-phoenix-arizona/

Brian Ross and ABC News report what officials caution is now a dangerous and even deadly crime wave. Phoenix, Arizona has become the kidnapping capital of America, with more incidents than any other city in the world outside of Mexico City and over 370 cases last year alone. But local authorities say Washington, DC is too obsessed with al Qaeda terrorists to care about what is happening in their own backyard right now.

Just keep a copy of you passport or citizenship certificate in your car. They will not detain anybody who has proper state issued ID on them. They will be looking for people with no ID at all or fake ID(s).

Wether <"conservatives" being hypocrites>? We are probably lucky that liberals are saving us :confused: from evil...

I don't know what illegal immigrants have to do with the kidnapping cases. That's a reason to tighten border control, and I'm definitely for secure borders. There are MANY illegal immigrants in NY as well, so I am not making a judgment from some cushy Green Zone of legal immigration. All I am saying is that I don't think there will be an excessive abuse of the law because law enforcement will be watched very closely, and if you want to protest the law, don't go to Arizona.

OK, so you avoid Arizona today. What happens when eventually all 50 states adopt this stance? Where do you go?

I don't know what illegal immigrants have to do with the kidnapping cases. That's a reason to tighten border control, and I'm definitely for secure borders. There are MANY illegal immigrants in NY as well, so I am not making a judgment from some cushy Green Zone of legal immigration. All I am saying is that I don't think there will be an excessive abuse of the law because law enforcement will be watched very closely, and if you want to protest the law, don't go to Arizona.

OK, so you avoid Arizona today. What happens when eventually all 50 states adopt this stance? Where do you go?

Agreed. It's a challenge - but it's part of the challenge US immigration law faces. How do you enforce the law beyond the borders? If there's a better way, I'm all ears.

Sorry to drag this off-topic, but what were they hoping to achieve? If I have an H-1 petition from January 1st 2008 to December 31st, 2010, the extension will be from Jan 1, 20011 to Dec 31 2013 no matter when it's filed.

Actually, I am not sure, but I have seen this happen for H1s, L1s and even EADs. Maybe it is the work pressure where only the crises are handled, but I somehow recall financial incentive being part of it.

It is possible to file extension filed at last minute and maintain your status for i guess 240 days before renewal is approved. How will AZ police know?

So the people who file last minute will be forced to file 2-3 weeks in advance so that they have a receipt. Showing a receipt should be good for AZ police I would think.

Actually, I am not sure, but I have seen this happen for H1s, L1s and even EADs. Maybe it is the work pressure where only the crises are handled, but I somehow recall financial incentive being part of it.

I just can't find any financial incentive in the scenario. They don't get more time on the petition; if anything they just increase the risk of the extension not being timely filed.

I just can't find any financial incentive in the scenario. They don't get more time on the petition; if anything they just increase the risk of the extension not being timely filed.

You must be right. Not being familiar with H1/L1/EAD laws, I can not comment further. Let's see if someone else has similar "feeling", maybe it is just me being too cynical.

You must be right. Not being familiar with H1/L1/EAD laws, I can not comment further. Let's see if someone else has similar "feeling", maybe it is just me being too cynical.

Fair enough. I'm just really puzzled - if companies are doing it regularly there's probably some real or perceived benefit; I'm really curious as to what it is. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Just keep a copy of you passport or citizenship certificate in your car. They will not detain anybody who has proper state issued ID on them. They will be looking for people with no ID at all or fake ID(s).

Isn't this profiling? When law states that Born and naturalized citizens have same rights; why only "foriegn" looking individuals need to carry copy of passport and naturalization certificate? are we supporting discrimination of different kind?
Better solution would be enforce issuance of drivers license to legal immigrants.