Q: Impact of Traffic Violations on Citizenship Application

DodoDi

Hi there,

I was wondering whether a citizenship process expert can help me answer three questions I have.

I have a few speeding and moving violation tickets on my driver's license. One of those tickets was due to speeding to over 20 miles/hour above the posted speed limit. It resulted in a reckless driving conviction that was put on my record in 1996. I was never arrested or fingerprinted, but was asked to pay a fine.

Q1: Am I supposed to disclose any or all of those tickets in my citizenship application?

Q2: What impact will disclosing those tickets have on my naturalization process?

Q3: Do I need a lawyer to handle the case?

Thanks much!

DodoDi said:
Hi there,

I was wondering whether a citizenship process expert can help me answer three questions I have.

I have a few speeding and moving violation tickets on my driver's license. One of those tickets was due to speeding to over 20 miles/hour above the posted speed limit. It resulted in a reckless driving conviction that was put on my record in 1996. I was never arrested or fingerprinted, but was asked to pay a fine.

Q1: Am I supposed to disclose any or all of those tickets in my citizenship application?

Q2: What impact will disclosing those tickets have on my naturalization process?

Q3: Do I need a lawyer to handle the case?

Thanks much!

DodoDi. The question you ask is the most commong question asked when some one starts N-400 process. The most common and accurate (ignoring Joef's wild guess answer) answer to your questions are....

- You do not have to disclose traffic violations that did not result in arrest or fingerprint taken.

- This will not have any impact in judgement of your moral character.

- You do not need an attorney, unless you think you do.

Hope this helps.

------------------------
Spirit of USA Personal Responsibility, Opportunity, Equality.

Yes, it is always better to disclose the tickets even if they are minor. If the USCIS thinks you lied to them, that can be a cause of lot of trouble.

You must have a copy of proof of payment/settlement for the tickets.
(Send it along with the N-400 application or bring it along with you for the interview)

I don't think it should have any effect on the Naturalization process but you might want to consult a lawyer for peace of mind (only because you were convicted for reckless driving). Regular speeding tickets are never a cause of concern. Better safe than sorry.

Cheers!

dsfgh100 said:
DodoDi. The question you ask is the most commong question asked when some one starts N-400 process. The most common and accurate (ignoring Joef's wild guess answer) answer to your questions are....

- You do not have to disclose traffic violations that did not result in arrest or fingerprint taken.

- This will not have any impact in judgement of your moral character.

- You do not need an attorney, unless you think you do.

Hope this helps.

------------------------

dsfgh100 is right........ dsfgh101 is wrong............

joef is using other IDs to discredit dsfgh100. beware of joef, rahul, hapless & other fake names joef is using to fight with experts like dsfgh100.

thx.

joef is using other IDs to discredit dsfgh100. beware of joef, rahul, hapless & other fake names joef is using to fight with experts like dsfgh100.

thx.

JoeF said:
JoeF's special blabbering Joker routine.

JoeF. You heard of the attorney called Carl Shusterman? He is a respected expert in immigration law. He seems to agree with my claim that traffic violations that do not result in arrests and fingerprinting do not have to reported in N-400. Read this in Carl Shusterman's own words in answering Question #6 in the link below....

http://immigration.about.com/library/weekly/aa070300b.htm

------------------------

Carl Shusterman says "Failure to reveal an arrest or conviction, no matter how minor, or how long ago the arrest/conviction occurred, may result in your application for naturalization being denied because you gave false testimony"

Carl Shusterman also says "The N-400 application asks whether you have ever been arrested or convicted of a crime, "excluding traffic regulations". He is referring to the old version of the N400. From 2003 onwards the application has changed and one of the changes is to remove the phrase "excluding traffic violations".

Since the new form asks if you were ever DETAINED by law enforcement for ANY reason you need to mention speeding citations on the N400.

So once again,

You are WRONG.. Dead Wrong!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Thickhead dude...you ought to read the question carefully before you spread misinformation. DodoDi said that he was convicted for reckless driving...
And here is an excerpt from the link you provided below:

Carl Shusterman: The N-400 application asks whether you have ever been arrested or convicted of a crime, "excluding traffic regulations," so you would not have to reveal a speeding ticket. However, if the offense were more serious, for example, driving under the influence of alcohol, you should not only reveal the arrest, but you should attach a certified copy of the arrest report to your application. It is important to stress, that all "arrests" must be revealed, even if they did not result in criminal convictions, were expunged or otherwise erased from your record.

Failure to reveal an arrest or conviction, no matter how minor, or how long ago the arrest/conviction occurred, may result in your application for naturalization being denied because you gave false testimony

Can you put two and two together or do I need to spell it out for you? Man, u r gonna get somebody in trouble....

dsfgh100 said:
JoeF. You heard of the attorney called Carl Shusterman? He is a respected expert in immigration law. He seems to agree with my claim that traffic violations that do not result in arrests and fingerprinting do not have to reported in N-400. Read this in Carl Shusterman's own words in answering Question #6 in the link below....

------------------------

dsfgh100 said:

Mr President (of Moronland),

Would mind stop making an ass of yourself.

Thank you.

VaniSundaram said:

thx.

Vani,
I thought you were back to school, taking english 101.

Good Luck to you.

JoeF said:
No, he doesn't.
Quoting something from 2000, when the N-400 form was different and traffic violations in fact did not have to be reported, doesn't help you in 2004.
Laws change, immigration laws change, forms change...
The N-400 from 2004 is quite different than the N-400 from 2000.
In 2004, moving violations have to be reported. Period.

You show again that your so-called "advice" is misleading and dangerous.

JoeF, wrong again. I have the N-400 application from 2000, right in front of me. There might be other changes, but not when it comes to the question about declaring legal problems. Don't mislead people with your wrong so-called advice.

------------------------

Even in 2000, you were supposed to report any convictions.

Anyways, like JoeF said, you are not supposed to go by the forms/laws of 2000, when it is 2004!

dsfgh100, you don't seem to understand that this is not a game...many members on this board have plans revolving around their immigration status...and u seem to be trying very hard to screw them up with ur bad advice...and for what?

dsfgh100 said:
JoeF, wrong again. I have the N-400 application from 2000, right in front of me. There might be other changes, but not when it comes to the question about declaring legal problems. Don't mislead people with your wrong so-called advice.

------------------------

Hapless! said:
Even in 2000, you were supposed to report any convictions.

Anyways, like JoeF said, you are not supposed to go by the forms/laws of 2000, when it is 2004!

dsfgh100, you don't seem to understand that this is not a game...many members on this board have plans revolving around their immigration status...and u seem to be trying very hard to screw them up with ur bad advice...and for what?

Hapless is wrong.

dsfgh100 is 100% correct. That is why his user name has "100" in it.