Project Cosmos

Friends, some of you have said my speech like draft is good and some others felt that it is too long to grab attention. I agreed and tried to trim the length of the text and still couldn’t bring it down to one page. I decided to seek help and requested becky, a fellow member whose writing is already popular with some of you, and she kindly obliged. She came up with an excellent one page summary of our core issues. Becky, thanks for the text as well as your willingness to help.

Dear Honorable Senator/Congress(wo)man <XXXX>

I am writing to you to draw your attention to the backlogs in Employment-based I-485 Adjustment to Permanent Residence immigrant benefit processing conducted by the USCIS and its Service Centers. I write as a member of this group who has waited <X> months for my case to be adjudicated. This community spans ethnic, racial and gender boundaries, and comprises people who teach American children, heal your sick, bring new product innovations to fuel America’s economy, and contribute research that keeps the United States at the forefront of scientific progress. According to the CATO Institute, in 1997, my community also contributed approximately $133 billion in direct taxes to federal, state, and local governments.

In return for our contributions, my community is subject to intolerable delays in processing our immigrant benefit applications. I would like to draw your attention to three of the problems that these delays create.

First, from a customer perspective, the USCIS does not seem accountable for its actions. It is virtually impossible to find out when a case will be processed and what little information they provide ranges from inaccurate to vague. A particularly egregious example of their lack of accountability arose when, after admitting that employees at the California Service Center shredded many applications, it was impossible for those potentially affected to determine whether their petitions were gone.

Second, processing delays have significant impact on the lives of those waiting. It is difficult to conduct even basic tasks. For example, it can be impossible to get driver’s license or a home loan. Licenses and loans are basic blocks required for living a normal adult life in the United States of America. My community is discriminated against, treated like illegal aliens, even though we have spent significant amounts of both time and money to immigrate legally.

Third, we face a lack of opportunity to advance and contribute even more. Despite the good intentions of the American Competitiveness Act, we are still required to move among jobs with the same or similar descriptions. Yet, our employers, American companies, would like to promote us, give us more responsibility, because we have done a good job. However, we cannot accept promotion since it would violate the conditions of our employment-based petition. After 2 years, it is frustrating and disappointing to not be able to move upwards in our chosen speciality area.

Delays in immigrant benefit processing impact my community. However, I would argue that they also have a significant negative impact on the American economy. By decreasing our ability to participate fully we do not inject our finances effectively into the American economy through events such as home purchases. When we cannot drive, or accept promotions, our employers cannot make the most of our skills. We ask you, for our sake, and the sake of the tax paying American citizens who want a strong economy, to ask the USCIS to process employment based applications in a timely manner, as the President and Congress suggested with their 6 month processing time for all benefits.

Sincerely,
Your name and address

We plan to start the campaign tomorrow. I will post more details later today.
Best Regards!

Great job becky and cosmos.

I would like to add the long time taken to approve documents like AP and EAD. These documents valid for an year take around 6 months to approve!

Also, can we mention about the ongoing litigation in this letter.

Could you update the other centers forum for a wider audience and participation.

sgi

Last edited by a moderator:
Project Cosmos Campaign#1

Slightly edited to include a reference to the 485 litigation.

ImmigrationPortal.Com
5225 N. Wilson Blvd, Arlington VA 22205
Voice: (703) 908-4800
United for Dignity, Equality, and Acceptance

I am writing to you to draw your attention to the backlogs in Employment-based I-485 Adjustment to Permanent Residence immigrant benefit processing conducted by the USCIS and its Service Centers. I write as a member of this group who has waited <X> months for my case to be adjudicated. This community spans ethnic, racial and gender boundaries, and comprises people who teach American children, heal your sick, bring new product innovations to fuel America’s economy, and contribute research that keeps the United States at the forefront of scientific progress. According to the CATO Institute, in 1997, my community also contributed approximately $133 billion in direct taxes to federal, state, and local governments.

In return for our contributions, my community is subject to intolerable delays in processing our immigrant benefit applications. I would like to draw your attention to three of the problems that these delays create.

First, from a customer perspective, the USCIS does not seem accountable for its actions. It is virtually impossible to find out when a case will be processed and what little information they provide ranges from inaccurate to vague. A particularly egregious example of their lack of accountability arose when, after admitting that employees at the California Service Center shredded many applications, it was impossible for those potentially affected to determine whether their petitions were gone.

Second, processing delays have significant impact on the lives of those waiting. It is difficult to conduct even basic tasks. For example, it can be impossible to get driver’s license or a home loan. Licenses and loans are basic blocks required for living a normal adult life in the United States of America. My community is discriminated against, treated like illegal aliens, even though we have spent significant amounts of both time and money to immigrate legally.

Third, we face a lack of opportunity to advance and contribute even more. Despite the good intentions of the American Competitiveness Act, we are still required to move among jobs with the same or similar descriptions. Yet, our employers, American companies, would like to promote us, give us more responsibility, because we have done a good job. However, we cannot accept promotion since it would violate the conditions of our employment-based petition. After 2 years, it is frustrating and disappointing to not be able to move upwards in our chosen speciality area.

Delays in immigrant benefit processing impact my community. However, I would argue that they also have a significant negative impact on the American economy. By decreasing our ability to participate fully we do not inject our finances effectively into the American economy through events such as home purchases. When we cannot drive, or accept promotions, our employers cannot make the most of our skills.

On 22 December 2003, ImmigrationPortal.Com, our online community and others have filed a lawsuit against United States Immigration and Citizenship Services (earlier known as INS) challenging the delays in processing of some applications for employment based immigrants.

We ask you, for our sake, and the sake of the tax paying American citizens who want a strong economy, to ask the USCIS to process employment based applications in a timely manner, as the President and Congress suggested with their 6 month processing time for all benefits.

Sincerely,
Your name and address

Information about Immigration Sub-Committee and fax information can be found at http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103333

Friends, let us make a difference. This is not about you and me. This is about US. I am done being silent. What about you? :) :)

Friends, you can use whichever version appeals to you most. But the important thing is to participate. There is no guarantee that this will succeed. But we know one thing for sure. It will not succeed without our participation. Let us not say NO to ourselves.

Please post info here after you have sent a fax. Send one each to the Republican and Democaratic fax number. Thanks!

Thanks to you all

I like the emphasis on the litigation. Work's been busy and I've not been following it as closely as I should.

I wonder... in light of the events surrounding Reagan's death whether we should push back a week. I assume that Congress are going have this on their minds and schedule this week?

becky

becky said:
I like the emphasis on the litigation. Work's been busy and I've not been following it as closely as I should.

I wonder... in light of the events surrounding Reagan's death whether we should push back a week. I assume that Congress are going have this on their minds and schedule this week?

becky

Excellent point. What do you think, folks? We need your feedback on whether we should delay the campaign by a week. I think timing is very critical and personally I am inclined to delay the campaign by a week.

sgi said:
Great job becky and cosmos.

I would like to add the long time taken to approve documents like AP and EAD. These documents valid for an year take around 6 months to approve!

Also, can we mention about the ongoing litigation in this letter.

Could you update the other centers forum for a wider audience and participation.

sgi

sgi, your point about AP and EAD is valid. But I wonder whether that will dilute the message a little bit. We don't want the Senators and Congress(wo)men to be distracted from the ultimate goal of timely 485 adjudications. I have added reference to the litigation.

Thanks.

I want to be a part of this...

I visited this thread for the first time and I am willing to
be a part of this initiative. I can fax the final draft, however
I need a list of senators/cgmens' fax numbers so that I
can do it. Sorry if this question is not apt to ask at this
point.

-PK

Agree with becky. With coming Friday being a day of mourning, federal offices are closed. Pushing back a week should hopefully get more members to participate.

Cosmos, we need to come up with a list of names, fax #'s/email and date each congressmen/senator should be sent the letter. Also what about the members of immigration sub-committe? The list could be posted by this coming Friday/Saturday. Just some suggestions.

sgi said:
Agree with becky. With coming Friday being a day of mourning, federal offices are closed. Pushing back a week should hopefully get more members to participate.

Cosmos, we need to come up with a list of names, fax #'s/email and date each congressmen/senator should be sent the letter. Also what about the members of immigration sub-committe? The list could be posted by this coming Friday/Saturday. Just some suggestions.

sgi, since the number of participants is nowhere near the 800 that we need to contact all the Senators and Congress(wo)men, it might be wise to target only the immigration sub-committee members. Information about them is available in a link I provided in one of the previous posts. But to make it easier, I will post the entire information latest by Friday.

Thanks to all who have started sending faxes. But if you haven't already done so, let us delay the campaign until June 14th.

In memory of President Reagan, here are some quotes:

- We were meant to be masters of destiny, not victims of fate

- I have always believed in you and in what you can accomplish for yourselves and others....I appealed to your best hopes, not to your worst fears, to your confidence, rather than your doubts

- Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall

Regards!

Let's mention about our I-485 litigation in the petition. Also it's better to start a separate thread for each campaign.

bringing this to top.

Can moderator place this thread in the Sticky area of all 4 forums?

With the campaign starting next week members will not have to dig into the forum to locate this thread.

Thanks
sgi

cosmos,

Attached is the first draft of the members of the subcommitte with their fax #'s. Could you have a second look if they are correct and the dates we need to send faxes to each member of the committe

Senate Immigration Subcommittee members and their fax numbers

Republican Members

Saxby Chambliss, GA (Chairman) (202) 224-0103
Charles E. Grassley, IA (202) 224-6020
Jon Kyl, AZ (202) 224-2207
Mike DeWine, OH (202) 224-6519
Jeff Sessions, AL (202) 224-3149
Larry Craig, ID (202) 228-1067
John Cornyn, TX (202) 228-2856

Democratic Members

Edward M. Kennedy, MA (Ranking Democrat) (202) 224-2417
Patrick J. Leahy, VT (202) 224-3479
Dianne Feinstein, CA (202) 228-3954
Charles E. Schumer, NY (202) 228-3027
Richard J. Durbin, IL (202) 228-0400
John Edwards, NC (202) 228-1374

sgi, I am going to assume that your info about House Immigration SubCommittee is correct. Appreciate your enthusiasm and support.

Let the campaign begin on Monday 6/14/2004

Friends, please cut, paste and substitute the red-colored info with your information and send faxes. Please send as many faxes as you can. At a minimum, please send one each to a Senator and a Congress(wo)man of your state (or the closest).

ImmigrationPortal.Com
5225 N. Wilson Blvd, Arlington VA 22205
Voice: (703) 908-4800
United for Dignity, Equality, and Acceptance

Delays in immigrant benefit processing impact my community. However, I would argue that they also have a significant negative impact on the American economy. By decreasing our ability to participate fully we do not inject our finances effectively into the American economy through events such as home purchases. When we cannot drive, or accept promotions, our employers cannot make the most of our skills.

On 22 December 2003, ImmigrationPortal.Com, our online community and others have filed a lawsuit against United States Immigration and Citizenship Services (earlier known as INS) challenging the delays in processing of some applications for employment based immigrants.

We ask you, for our sake, and the sake of the tax paying American citizens who want a strong economy, to ask the USCIS to process employment based applications in a timely manner, as the President and Congress suggested with their 6 month processing time for all benefits.

Sincerely,
Your name and address

Please post information after faxing

Please post the following info:

Running Serial #, Senator and/or Congress(wo)man, date faxed

While the pace seems to have picked up in the last couple of months, thousands and thousands are still waiting for over 12-24 months. This is not just about you and me. It is about US. Please participate and make a difference.

The objective, ladies and gentlemen, is to contact as many Senators and/or Congress(wo)men in the immigration subcommittee as possible within a period of 5 business days.

Thanks for your support.