Process for J1 waiver from India

genericuser

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I was working in San Francisco on a J1 Visa. My visa got expired in Feb and I came back to India. I'm getting married in August and would like to go back on H4. I'm trying to apply for waiver from Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.

As per my understanding, I need to get the Bio-Data and Affidavit notarised and then get them attested by Andhra Pradesh Home Department or General Administration department. After this, I need to get these documents Attested by Ministry of External Affairs.

Once I get the documents attested by Ministry of External Affairs, I will have to send these documents to the three departments (MHRD, Passport office and Home department) to get No Objection statement.

I got my Bio-data and Affidavit notarised. But my state government is refusing to Attest Bio-data and Affidavit (They said they don't attest such documents - I got the format for these documents from San Francisco Indian Consulate Website). Unless I get attestation from my Home Department or General Administration Department, Ministry of External Affairs would not attest these documents.

Is there any alternative for this? Am I going the right way? Pls direct me!

Ji waiver applying from, hyderabad India

Hi All
I am applying for JI waiver from, hyderabad, India. I need your help in providing the adresses of these departments and whether the procedure mentioned above is correct. Thank you
Solomon

Hello,
I was working in San Francisco on a J1 Visa. My visa got expired in Feb and I came back to India. I'm getting married in August and would like to go back on H4. I'm trying to apply for waiver from Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.

As per my understanding, I need to get the Bio-Data and Affidavit notarised and then get them attested by Andhra Pradesh Home Department or General Administration department. After this, I need to get these documents Attested by Ministry of External Affairs.

Once I get the documents attested by Ministry of External Affairs, I will have to send these documents to the three departments (MHRD, Passport office and Home department) to get No Objection statement.

I got my Bio-data and Affidavit notarised. But my state government is refusing to Attest Bio-data and Affidavit (They said they don't attest such documents - I got the format for these documents from San Francisco Indian Consulate Website). Unless I get attestation from my Home Department or General Administration Department, Ministry of External Affairs would not attest these documents.

So u mean to say that u r doing all this without even knowing that it is right process or not?

Dude, I would never do that. I would first find out whats the procedure they accept and then only would start working on getting the documents attested.

Hi all!
I'm also trying to apply for the waiver from outside US (i'm in Australia, though). I've been writting to the Indian Embassy in US to ask about the procedure, with no luck so far (1 month), but I'm still trying.

After much thinking about how to apply (from India, as you are suggesting, or through the Embassy in US even if we are not there anymore...). This is my hypothesis:

The waiver itself is granted by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) following a recommendation letter from the Department of State (DOS). We need to contact the DOS to get a case number.. and submit the required information. The Non-Objection Letter is one of the documents to submit and 'if I'm not wrong!' it has to be submitted to the DOS 'directly!' by the Indian Embassy.
So... the Embassy (or Consulate) has a role to play anyway.... I think that the thing to do is to follow exactly the same process than the people who is in US, only writting an 'abroad' address in the form that you can download from the Consulate web to start the process of getting the Non-objection letter.

What is your opinion? Good that we are not alone, at least!
Chears!

Genericuser:
If going through the Embassy, we follow the steps from http://www.indianembassy.org/consular/nori.pdf
and there is no need of Home Dptm and Extern. Affairs.. Am I right?

ONLY (ha ha!) problem is, how do we send the Passport!!!!! to the Indian Consulate?? (which we are supposed to send with send 4 sets of notarized affidavit and statment , 66$ and miscellaneous form...).

Ideas??

Folks from Madhya Pradesh (J1 Visa waiver)

Dear Friends
I had hard time to find out these addresses (especially dept of home).
These are most recent address (as on 27 July 2009).

1. The Regional Passport Officer
Passport Office,
2nd Floor, Gangotri Complex,
T.T. Nagar, Bhopal-462003,
Madhya Pradesh, India

2. The Secretary,
Home Department,
Room No. 433, Vallabh Bhavan, Bhopal-462 004
Madhya Pradesh, India

Regards
Atul

Hello,

Hello,

Hi
Now that you are in India ,just stay in Hyderabad for two years and comply to 2 year return rule.That way all the hassles and nightmares are over. There are too many of documentations needed across continents. It is not worth to go through the hassles if you are already in India. If you are in USA, you are left with no other option.
hope this helps
Kali