• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

procedure to get GC after 1st entry into USA

fabb

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks.
Can someone please tell me what is the procedure to obtain the GC after 1st entry into the USA with the immigrant visa ? Is it just a matter of waiting for it to be mailed to the US address that I gave the consulate during my interview (it's a friend's address) ?
Or are there other steps to be taken ?

Waiting for the mail to arrive. My friend did AOS and got her GC 12 days after her interview. I'm not sure how it is with CP but I guess it might be when you enter through the POE your GC will be activated and processed to be sent out...but I'm not sure, others who did CP can probably answer that one better, but for sure you will get it by mail on the address that you provided.

SSN needs to be applied for in person if you never had one. That won't come automatically although you might have crossed the box on your paper.

it wont come automatically? but they give you letter at embassy saying you will get it if you check the box. if NOT then go apply.
anyone can give idea on timeframe for receving GC upon arrive at POE?

Look at the SSN website. It says "first time SSN application, you have to come in person. If you need a change or replacement you need to sent certified copies with the paperwork to obtain a new one....(certified means; no copies!, but issued by the government or county)

I am the winner of DV 2010 lottery . When I filled the DS 230 and DS) 122 forms , I omitted to write important work experience which I worked. I have an interview appointment in May 2010. Can I rewrite or edit my work experience and send in the new DS 230 and DSP 122 forms t to the KCC . Or can I tell the omission to the consular officer in the embassy during my interview? Will the consular officer consider this new information as a fraud? or will she/he accept it to me if I write in the new DS 230, and DSP 122 forms which is supposed to be sent to the embassy. Will the consular officer ask me why I didn't mention it before? What can I do during my interview?

Please help me

it wont come automatically? but they give you letter at embassy saying you will get it if you check the box. if NOT then go apply.
anyone can give idea on timeframe for receving GC upon arrive at POE?

I would go with what is said in what you received!

I am the winner of DV 2010 lottery . When I filled the DS 230 and DS) 122 forms , I omitted to write important work experience which I worked. I have an interview appointment in May 2010. Can I rewrite or edit my work experience and send in the new DS 230 and DSP 122 forms t to the KCC . Or can I tell the omission to the consular officer in the embassy during my interview? Will the consular officer consider this new information as a fraud? or will she/he accept it to me if I write in the new DS 230, and DSP 122 forms which is supposed to be sent to the embassy. Will the consular officer ask me why I didn't mention it before? What can I do during my interview?

Please help me

change it now, why wait?

I would go with what is said in what you received!

as I just picked it up myself, I see that Bentlebee created another not on facts-based advice (even though probably well meant, but it creates much stress in people doing this)
You don't need to apply in person, just like I don't need to.
You will receive it within 3 weeks.

best of luck

Hi there,

I just came back from the United States to activate the green card. I did the interview in my country's US Embassy, so normally it will take 3 weeks for the Immigration officer to send out the green card? Am i correct?

Let me share the experience:

1. When I first arrived in the United States, I was giving my passport and the envelop to the Immigration Officer, I'm not sure if i need to take a photo, because the officer told me to go to room 1 at the Airport and then the officer in room 1 told me everything is done there's no photo needs to be taken in my situation.

2. The Envelop has been given to the Immigration officer and she asked me to sign two signatures at the airport in the Chicago.

My question is:

1). According to your experience, did the officer ask you take any photo at the airport while you were in the Immigration department at the airport?

2). How long does it takes to send the green card to the mailing address provided?

3). Once I obtain my green card, should I go straight apply my SSN, and US passport? Or any other important documents I should obtain after I get my green card?

Please advise.

Thank you!
TK

I don't know about the sending of the GC in three weeks (and have seen people who stated they waiter longer) but in either case you passport visa is valid as a GC for one year which it said on the paperwork which came with the passports.

I checked the box to receive SSN which will be send within 3 weeks it said (after 1st entry), if you did not check that box, go apply for it (you don't need to wait but check what to bring, of course passport with visa)

I just got my visa and this info yesterday, so unfortunately I can't tell you anything about the entry questions. Good luck!

The only thing you get is a GC, no US passport since that is for citizens and just in case you think you can go and vote....don't do it because that is a crime if you are not a citizen. You are a perminent resident and 90 days before the 5 year of having the GC, you will be able to apply to become a citizen. 7 Years later you can start to vote for the president of the US...

SSN will not be sent to you...it doesn't matter if you crossed the box or not...Any person who never had a SSN has to show up with originals or certified copies in person at the SS office...

The GC will be sent to the address you have provided.

You also need to maintain a valid passport from you country for traveling and it needs to be valid for more than 6 months....you will still be a foreigner until you decide to become a citizen in 5 years, which is totally up to you. I know people who won and never became citizens....they won 15 years ago and feel happy having the possibility of having a GC and still be a citizen of the country where they were born.

Last edited by a moderator:
SSN is send if you crossed, read the papers that come with the visa!!
It take max. 3 weeks, only after 3 weeks of not receiving should you contact them.

It's gonna take 5 years? Means I need to be a US citizen to register the US passport?

Not sure what you mean? You don't get a US passport now, so there is no need to 'register' it.
1) Once you're in the States, your permanent residency is activated which allows you to do many of the things a citizen can, except vote, etc.
2) After 5 years, you can apply to become a US citizen - as noted, it is optional.
3) Once you become a US citizen, you can apply for a passport. It is also optional, you could in theory not get a passport if you never want to travel outside the US.
ALL three stages are different.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply. I've learned so much about green card. I've activated the green card on 5th March and how long do you think it's gonna take to mail to the mailing address provided to the officer?

What if i don't receive it? I'm start getting worried. Please advise.

TK

SSN will not be sent to you...it doesn't matter if you crossed the box or not...Any person who never had a SSN has to show up with originals or certified copies in person at the SS office...

Are you saying that official ssn information is false?

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10096.html

How can I get a Social Security number and card?

There are two ways you can apply:

You can apply in your home country before you come to the United States when filing an application for an immigrant visa with the U.S. Department of State. In almost all cases, if you apply for a Social Security number and card with your immigrant visa application, you do not have to visit a Social Security office in the United States. (For more information, see www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnvisa)
or
You can visit a Social Security office in person.

In few weeks I am going to test this. I won't visit SSN office personally on my first trip.

Are you saying that official ssn information is false?

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10096.html

How can I get a Social Security number and card?

There are two ways you can apply:

You can apply in your home country before you come to the United States when filing an application for an immigrant visa with the U.S. Department of State. In almost all cases, if you apply for a Social Security number and card with your immigrant visa application, you do not have to visit a Social Security office in the United States. (For more information, see www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnvisa)
or
You can visit a Social Security office in person.

In few weeks I am going to test this. I won't visit SSN office personally on my first trip.

I know that is stated on their website, but in reality most offices don't give it unless you show up in person when you apply for the first time.

We just came back from the Social security office to get a new SSN card for her without the working with authority approval on it.

In recent years, specially after 9/11 the rules have changed and on the website it is stating you can get a renewal or replacement by sending certified copies, which are very hard to get and hardly anybody will do that since some papers need to be originals and who wants to risk originals to get lost.

My friend also crossed the box to get a new SSN card and we called after she was approved and we were told, about the 2 options and if a person never had a SSN you have to show up in person.

A similar thing happened for the utilities. We have more than 1 property and paid all our utilities always on time. Recently a tenant moved out and we needed the utilities in our name for 3 days and we had to go in person although we didn't have to pay a down payment since we have the same company for our primary utilities...we were told to come in person to show 2 different forms of ID. I thought it had to do with being a foreigner, but when I came to the office the signs were very clear. Due to ID theft they want any new customer or some one who add's another account, to show up in person to see who they are and check their 2 ID's.
We had never done that and according to them we don't have to do it in the future....just a one time thing and I'm in favor of it, if that can prevent others from using another person's ID to set up an account which happened a lot during the foreclosure era.