Hello

My I-485 was approved on June 1st 2007 and I got my Green card
today but they printed 'Resident since' date as 05/12/05
instead of 06/01/07, What to do now..? Do i need to send the
card back to INS ?

Please advise.

Thanks,
k'

Yes, unfortunately you need to file form I-90 and send it back to get a replacement. You won't have to pay a fee, because it was their mistake.

Before sending the cards to USCIS, make sure every one of you gets SSNs. Without original cards, SSNs are not given.
Finish off any travel. The replacement cards can take good time, 1- 6 months.

I was talking to many of my friends...what if I just keep that card with me without informing to them (with out submitting I-90 form) and apply for citizen ship based on the dates printed on the green card ? will US government prosecute me for this & for their mistake or they will accpet my application for naturalization...

Please advise.

Thanks,
K'

And, make a clear colour copy/scan of both sides of the card before you send it in.

Go through N400 form which gathers a lot of information from you ...your residences, employment, travel information 5 years prior to applying the GC. They count all the days that you spent outside US in prior 5 years.

I am not sure, but don't think you can get around with it and still prove the USCIS that you have 5 years life as PR to obtain citizenship.

I was talking to many of my friends...what if I just keep that card with me without informing to them (with out submitting I-90 form) and apply for citizen ship based on the dates printed on the green card ? will US government prosecute me for this & for their mistake or they will accpet my application for naturalization...
Having a wrong date on the card doesn't mean that same wrong date is in all their databases and files. It just means the person operating the card machine transcribed the wrong date. When you apply for citizenship, they dig up your ENTIRE history of immigration, with copies of your documents going back at least to your I-130 or I-140 and usually before. They will catch the discrepancy if you apply. A friend who got citizenship recently said at the interview they even had a copy of her student visa from some 15 years ago. I don't know if they would prosecute you, but you would lose your application fee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try it if you have the balls! I was going to seriously think about if I was in a similar situation. But, fortunately/unfortunately it is not going to be in my case as my GC has the correct date.

You could probably use that card to apply for USC early. But the main problem would be on the n400 where it says "swear that you are telling the truth etc" . So let us assume you commit perjury and get USC. From then on there will be a cloud over your head. Are you the kind who worries a lot about getting caught? Because one fine day they may just revoke your USC for lying on the appl by ignoring the fact that it was partly their mistake. Or they may never catch on and life goes on.

It all boils down to how much of a risk taker you are.

May be, one won't ask for the corrected replacement card, to avoid hassle of 6 months of I90D process. After 5 years, apply for USC as usual. Does this approach has any pitfalls?

May be, one won't ask for the corrected replacement card, to avoid hassle of 6 months of I90D process. After 5 years, apply for USC as usual. Does this approach has any pitfalls?
Depends on how widespread that wrong date is across their systems. If you enter at the POE, the officer swipes the card and sees the correct date (6/2007) on the computer screen, but looks at the card itself and sees the 5/2005 date, that could be a big problem, as they'll suspect the card is a fake. You don't know which date is in which system.

My I-485 was approved on June 1st 2007 and I got my Gre een card today but they printed 'Resident since' date as 05/12/05 instead of 06/01/07, What to do now..? Do i need to send the card back to INS ?
What is the date on the approval notice?

I also got my green card last week wiht the same mistake. According to the card. I became Resident since 04-2000 (the day I arrived to the US), Instead of the day I got approved the adjustment of status on 05-2008. However, the expiration date is on 05-2018, so they are using the approved date to add the 10 years of expiration.
Definilly is a typo mistake. ANy ideaS?

I also got my green card last week wiht the same mistake. According to the card. I became Resident since 04-2000 (the day I arrived to the US), Instead of the day I got approved the adjustment of status on 05-2008. However, the expiration date is on 05-2018, so they are using the approved date to add the 10 years of expiration.
Definilly is a typo mistake. ANy ideaS?

As Jackolantern correctly asked, What is the date on the approval notice?

Hi. According to the approval notice, the Receipt date is JAN-12-2008. Propority Date is APRIL-16-2008. and notice date is MAY-21-2008. Now it makes sense that was a typo error on the card.

Hello,

I have received my 10yrs permanent resident green card with a typo on my last name. I sent my plastic card with I-90 and all the evidences and I received NOA in 24 Febr 2010 that saying "Application/Petition has been received by our office and is in process". My question is when I check my status online since 24 febr it's always in initial process. It's beeing 4 months already. Will they send my green card or they will request another finger print? I mean for the typo on last name, do they request finger print? So frustrating!!

Thanks in advance.

It generally takes 3-6 months for the replacement card, so you may have some more waiting to do.

Did you get your passport stamped with the I-551 so you can use it for work and travel while waiting for the new GC?

Oh Thanks God.

I called immigration office yesterday and they said average time is 6 months for i-90 but their website indidcates for 3.5 months. shockingly I received an e-mail from them today regarding my card produced and will be delivered in 30 days.
For people who has same typo problem:

My Evidences and Typo Card Received by Immigration: February 24 / 2010
Decision Made and New Card Produced : June 8 / 2010
Please note that if there is an administration error (like typo) they usually do not request new biometrics. I 've been searching this answer for months but couldnt find it.

Hi! I really need advice. I am a permanent resident granted green card in June, 2006 on a basis of my asylum status. The problem is that my green card was not been backdated for 1 year and indicates the actual date of receiving GC. However, I'd like to apply for naturalization and trying to fill out form N 400 now as in fact i am eligible. Would you please advise me what should I do? - 1. check box D "other" in part 2 and indicate that i am applying on basis of my asylum status indicating article 8 C.F.R. § 209.2(f) and stating that my GC was not backdated. I can also attach some statement and documents proving that i got asylum status 1.5 years before receiving GC. 2. check box A (permanent resident for 5 years or more) and attach explanation letter?
If not one of the above options when what should I do not to wait until the next year? Or maybe i need to apply for GC correction?
I will really appreciate any help especially if it comes from the person who had the same situation!