PR through Employment but Married to US Citizen: When Can I naturalize?

becky

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I got my PR through employment in 2004. However, in 2003 I married a US Citizen (we were advised by my lawyer that my PR was so far long that I ought to stick with it if I could rather than switch and petition marriage-based).

Today I was looking at the USCIS Naturalization Guide, and I can't tell, do I have to wait 5 years (because I did my PR employment based) or can I apply after the 3 year rule because I am married to a US citizen, have been for 3 years, have been resident for 3 years, and in my current state for 3 months (in other words I think I meet all the criteria).

Anyone know the answer to my puzzle

How you obtained your LPR is independent of eligibility for N-400. You can apply 3yrs minus 90 days from the date you became an LPR because you already meet the criteria of 3yr marriage to the same USC.

Sounds like you are good to go right now.

Please do no forget on the N-400 to check "B" in

Part 2. Information About Your Eligibility (Check Only One),

which means

"I have been a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States for at least three years, and I have been married to and living with the same U.S. citizen for the last three years, and my spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last three years."

thank you

thanks for the clarification—I always thought that it had depended on the means by which I became a PR.

becky