Potential problem?

yandresyuk

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys, I have been on this forum ever since I filed for my naturalization. I have a question. I have an interview coming up at the end of October and I was wondering if I would have a potential problem. This is due to my complicated middle name. On my green card and most of my documents I usually put B. (as middle initial since my middle name is damn long and confusing). It is only on my driver's license I have a full middle name mentioned. I do not remember what I put on my N-400. I am thinking if I put just the middle initial and the IO sees my full middle name would I need a second NC? I appreciate any input.

I don't think you'll require a second name check as any potential hits would pull up your entire name, regardless of if you used middle initial or not on application.

I do not remember what I put on my N-400. I am thinking if I put just the middle initial and the IO sees my full middle name would I need a second NC?

I don't have any input, but I'm surprised you didn't keep a copy of your N-400. I keep PDF versions of any and all documents I send in to the Government (and most other institutions). I would suggest everyone do the same. If not a PDF, at least a photocopy.

Derek

Did you supply the full middle name during your green card processing (note that they don't normally print the full middle name on the green card, even they have it)? If not, and the interview is the first time you are bringing the full name to their attention, the IO may have to request another name check to include that name.

My GC has only my middle initial (but I did supply my full middle name during that process - it appears on my travel document). The thing is I am from Ukraine and our middle names are not per se "official" (i.e., it does not even appear on my foreign passport issued in Ukraine). In our culture it is not something that parents give you. I am not sure if that would make any difference.

Have you received your fingerprint notice. Your name check will not start till after your fingerprinting. If you have your interview notice....rest assured that they have cleared your name with every variation found in your file.

It is a good habbit to keep a copy of everything you send to and receive from USCIS with a log of when you received what...and when you mailed what. Even simple things like AR-11. Every time you call USCIS for anything keep a note of date/time the name and ID of the person you talked to...and the conformation number if they provided you with one.

My GC has only my middle initial (but I did supply my full middle name during that process - it appears on my travel document). The thing is I am from Ukraine and our middle names are not per se "official" (i.e., it does not even appear on my foreign passport issued in Ukraine). In our culture it is not something that parents give you. I am not sure if that would make any difference.

What you are referring to is not a middle name, but what's known as "patronymic" (otchestvo). Truthfully, I don't even know why you mentioned it, as you've only made things more complicated. I'm Russian, and the patronymic was automatically dropped when my parents filed for GCs. Every other former resident of Russia (or any other former Soviet Republics) I know had the patronymic dropped as well.

Anyway, I doubt that this will present an issue at your interview. If the IO asks anything about it, make sure you mention that it's a patronymic, not a middle name.

Vorpal, thanks for you imput. Yes it is a patronimic, great thanks. I am just not sure how it creaped into my driver's license (I got it such a long time ago that it just stayed). I will make sure that I clarify that at the interview (if it comes up, but hopefully it does not).

The N-400 asks for other names ever used, as a separate question from your legal name. So that middle name should have been listed, because it has been used for an official purpose (your license), although it was not really one of your legal names.

Hi guys, I have been on this forum ever since I filed for my naturalization. I have a question. I have an interview coming up at the end of October and I was wondering if I would have a potential problem. This is due to my complicated middle name. On my green card and most of my documents I usually put B. (as middle initial since my middle name is damn long and confusing). It is only on my driver's license I have a full middle name mentioned. I do not remember what I put on my N-400. I am thinking if I put just the middle initial and the IO sees my full middle name would I need a second NC? I appreciate any input.

I think they explicitly ask you for all names including middle names on the form. It's hard to say. He may not even look at your license. You may change the name on your license if you are really worried - and if DMV will go along. However, if they see a middle initial, they might ask what it stands for anyway.

Is it on your passport or birth certificate or social security card? If not, I guess I would worry less about it. But then how would it end up on the license.

It is not in my passport, since like Vorpal said it is not really a middle name it is a patronimic. The reason why it is on my license is that when I was getting my license (loooong time ago) they did not ask you to give any documents to check your identity (yes, seriously) so I just put how I knew to write my name from back home.

Hello to everybody!

Im scheduled for interview this Oct 15. I have 3 questions regarding my situation.

1st) i just realized that i forgot to send my picture in the applications i sent

2nd) i got married last july 2007, and had my name change in terms of SSN card, driver's license and at work..but not in my green card. when i filed my citizenship app last feb 2008, i used my new married name but i included my marriage certificate..will that be a problem?

3rd) i got my gc last July 2002, but i only stayed continously here in california since APRIL 2004. Technically my green card is more than 5 years but my stay is only 4 years and so so...will i get denied because i have not been physically present in this country for 5 years?

Thank you very much for all your help!

Hello to everybody!

Im scheduled for interview this Oct 15. I have 3 questions regarding my situation.

1st) i just realized that i forgot to send my picture in the applications i sent

2nd) i got married last july 2007, and had my name change in terms of SSN card, driver's license and at work..but not in my green card. when i filed my citizenship app last feb 2008, i used my new married name but i included my marriage certificate..will that be a problem?

3rd) i got my gc last July 2002, but i only stayed continously here in california since APRIL 2004. Technically my green card is more than 5 years but my stay is only 4 years and so so...will i get denied because i have not been physically present in this country for 5 years?

Thank you very much for all your help!

My question would be where were you before California. If you was outside the US for more than 6 months then you may be in trouble. Otherwise, there is no problem.

Do you think that maybe I should make an infopass appointment to clear this up?

I'm not sure what you can do to clear this up. If it is not on the application and not anywhere else like birth certificate or passport then it's probably not as big an issue. Technically, you've used this on a license so you probably should have disclosed this but basically it will come down if the interviewing officer notices the name difference on the license if he even asks for it and then is not convinced that it is not your name. From his perspective you'd think that he would want to run it through the computer for an FBI name check as well as through the CIS computer system like IBIS with that name as shown on your license to protect his a*s in case you have a record. But maybe he won't notice.

My point is only that name checks are initiated automatically so the people at the local office won't probably just initiate another name check for you now and if someone does initiate you probably want it to be the officer interviewing you so it stays with the same people so to speak. The other thing is you will just confuse them - either it's right on the application or right ont he license - either way an INFOPASS is not the best mechanism here. You will come in and say what? That your name was correctly put on the application but you have it differently on your license and you want them to make you feel good? Or that you have done it incorrectly on the application and what then that you want to initiate name check? That seems silly. I would wait till interview and see if the officer notices it - you probabky should also mention it to him to be certain but then he will no doubt go through the checks which would delay the application.

Bottom line is that if the name as on your license is incorrect and a result of an error in that you incorrectly gave a patronimic as a name where it is not then you did not misstate anything. The error is on the license and not on the application. But only you know whether that is a correct interpretation.

My guess is even if on balance you should have listed the name on the application as it is on the license, either he will run the checks in which case you will have some delay or he won't - in the latter case, my guess is that no one will ever bother you - assuming, of course, you actually don't have anything in your record in that longer name that could have jeopardized the application. Personally, I would disclose this since worst case is you wait a little longer but don't have to worry about it (however little) later.

he asks

yandresyuk

My wife was in simillar situation, she had a long middle name and we avoided writing it on GC & N400 applications. During the interview, the office pulled up the name which has the middle name (not sure where they got it) and gave her two options. 1) To change her name in the court 2) To keep the middle name but it might delay since they have to do the name check & FP again. We opted for changing the name in the court and she is pending for oath now.

Do not worry and good luck with your N400.

Hope this info helps you.

Thanks,
Homer