Potential issues and solutions because of drop of middle name

pmpforgc

Registered Users (C)
During my naturalization today interview I was asked to remove my middle name by the officer. (because she told that they dont allow fathers name as middle name, as is the tradition in many part of south asia and India)

So this means that I will get passport and naturalization documents without middle name. My all other documents till today has middle name.

So what potential issues at Driver Licence (GA), SS and other offices I will face and how to solve those. As I understand this is not a official name change, it is just drop of middle name that existed before on all my documents, so I will not have any official court order name change document or so to support this change.

I am sure some one from here has gone through this trouble before and guide me to be prepared and ready to deal this issues that I think will come on my way.

This this the biggest bullshit I have ever heard. When you change your name, you have the right for a middle name. What is in the middle name is up to you - it can be your father's name, your mother's name, your uncle's name, a name that nobody has ever heard - whatever you want. I had a patronymic name (consists of a father's name + suffix) on the Green Card as the middle name, and on the N-400 interview, whilst I changed my given name and a surname, I left my patronymic name as the middle name. The officer suggested to use my pure father's name (without a suffix) as a middle name, but I said I wanted to keep it intact. He said "no problem".

Did the officer actually say it is "not allowed"? Perhaps, BigJoe can comment on this?

This this the biggest bullshit I have ever heard. When you change your name, you have the right for a middle name. What is in the middle name is up to you - it can be your father's name, your mother's name, your uncle's name, a name that nobody has ever heard - whatever you want. I had a patronymic name (consists of a father's name + suffix) on the Green Card as the middle name, and on the N-400 interview, whilst I changed my given name and a surname, I left my patronymic name as the middle name. The officer suggested to use my pure father's name (without a suffix) as a middle name, but I said I wanted to keep it intact. He said "no problem".

Did the officer actually say it is "not allowed"? Perhaps, BigJoe can comment on this?

I was told that since my birth certificate dont include my current middle name (which is my father name) (It is a parent/father name on birth certificate) So I can not keep my current middle name as my middle name (since it is not on birth certificate) I can go through judicial oath process if I want to keep my current middle name (as happens in name change process) though it will not be actually name change, since my name on all my official records contains my father name as middle name.

It also happened to my spouse, she has my name (husband name) as middle name on her all records after marraige, she was also argued same thing and ultimately her middle name was droped by the officer.

Even on my son's case officer looked at middle name, but since his birth certi contained his current middle name, he was allowed to keep it without any argument over this.
It looks like my DO officers are looking into indian middle name as they know this issue and are asking them to drop this. I hope some other person of Indian origin might have also faced same issue at Atlanta DO.

Oh, now it makes sense. The officer said that if you do not do the name change, you cannot keep your middle name. It is understandable, although it is still questionable. However, when I was in the process of N-400, nobody asked me to present my birth certificate. I had to do it during the I-485 process. During N-400, they only looked at my Green Card as the source of my legal name.

The officers were ready for this issue

Oh, now it makes sense. The officer said that if you do not do the name change, you cannot keep your middle name. It is understandable, although it is still questionable. However, when I was in the process of N-400, nobody asked me to present my birth certificate. I had to do it during the I-485 process. During N-400, they only looked at my Green Card as the source of my legal name.

I was also not asked for birth certificate copy. The officer made special effort to find that from my old I-485 or other record, so that It can support the argument that my birth certificate has no middle name (father name).

Same thing was done in case of my spouse as well as my sons case. but in case of my son he was allowed to continue the middle name, I had not yet checked his birth certi yet.

It looked to me that at Atlanta DO some/most officers are specially looking into this issue for peoples of India and other such countries with these middle name issues.

I was also not asked for birth certificate copy. The officer made special effort to find that from my old I-485 or other record, so that It can support the argument that my birth certificate has no middle name (father name).

Same thing was done in case of my spouse as well as my sons case. but in case of my son he was allowed to continue the middle name, I had not yet checked his birth certi yet.

It looked to me that at Atlanta DO some/most officers are specially looking into this issue for peoples of India and other such countries with these middle name issues.

-------------------
In my case, there was a spelling difference in my birth certificate and the application (all other documents). During N400 approval (and for Oath ceremony), there was a delay because of this mismatch. Finally, the office suggested to apply for a name change to match the two names and it was processed as a name change application. Some learning experience here.!

Two I-94 Numbers- Traveled on AP while H1B extn Pending

Sorry Put in wrong thread. Ignore.

Last edited by a moderator: