Postponing Green Card interview?

cscgc

Registered Users (C)
Hi

My mother-in-law was sponsored for a GC thru my USC wife. She had to leave to india for some family matter on Advance parole and is currently heaving some back issues(spinal disc) now that it is virtually impossible for her to sit on the plane for long hours to come back for an interview later this month.

Can we request for postponement of the interview? I have read forums here that says postponing interview is not always advisable, but in case we have to, will we be able to do it for a non-emergency(like back problems) medical reasons?

Thank you for your input

Hi

My mother-in-law was sponsored for a GC thru my USC wife. She had to leave to india for some family matter on Advance parole and is currently heaving some back issues(spinal disc) now that it is virtually impossible for her to sit on the plane for long hours to come back for an interview later this month.

Can we request for postponement of the interview? I have read forums here that says postponing interview is not always advisable, but in case we have to, will we be able to do it for a non-emergency(like back problems) medical reasons?

Thank you for your input

I don't see a reason why she can't postpone her interview and re-schedule it to a future date. I think she shouldn't have any problems, trust me.

The problem is not really that they don't allow you to postpone, but that it takes so long to reschedule and USCIS doesn't always communicate it to the DO that the DO might have no knowledge of your rescheduled interview and will assume your mother has abandoned her application. In your situation I don't think you have any other choice but try to reschedule ... however be sure to follow up at the DO etc. to make sure everyone is in the loop with the rescheduled interview.

Also, there's no way of telling in what time frame her rescheduled date will be. I guess worst case you can reapply with a new petition later, right? I wonder if perhaps the case could be changed to CP and your mother would complete the interview at the consulate (no idea if this can be done so late in the game)?

thank you for the inputs, I asked this question because even I had heard of cases where DO presumed the application was abandoned and the applicants had to appeal and finally got the GC.

There are several ways to inform the USCIS of the postponement(customer service, fax, mail, etc), but How to inform the District office, do we just send back the interview letter along with a copy of the postponement request that we sent to USCIS?

From our citizenship experience, when we postponed our interview due to birth of our child, we never got rescheduled for months and had to take an Info pass at DO to get a new interview date, guess will have to do the same here again.(reapplying AOS may be a waste of time and money, transfer to Consulate is possible at this stage but requires lot more documentation and time I guess)