• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Postponing DV Interview

fthnm2005

Registered Users (C)
Dear All:

Can somebody please advise me whether it is safe to postpone the DV interview for 2 months?
My DV interview was scheduled for the last week of March. I applied as a single applicant, but now I got engaged and I want my fiancee (future wife) also to join my DV case after we will get married this summer. So, the question is whether it would be safe to postpone the interview untill I get married, or will the embassy run out of visas until then???

Please help...
thanks!

Dear All:

Can somebody please advise me whether it is safe to postpone the DV interview for 2 months?
My DV interview was scheduled for the last week of March. I applied as a single applicant, but now I got engaged and I want my fiancee (future wife) also to join my DV case after we will get married this summer. So, the question is whether it would be safe to postpone the interview untill I get married, or will the embassy run out of visas until then???

Please help...
thanks!

Hi,

There's nothing wrong with postponing your interview date but it's not something i will advice. Looking at your situation, you have roughly 2weeks or less to go for your interview. I advice that you go alone and fill for her to join you after five years.

Dear All:

Please help...
thanks!

I will not advice u to postpone ur interview at all especially for 2 months. The 2 months u want to postpone it to will be too busy because a lot of people will be current by then, and u may not even get exactly 2 months, it may be more than that. I read a post recently on Nigeria forum where somebody asked for 2 or 3 weeks postponement and he was given 2 or 3 months. That a risk my brother and I will not advice u to take it but at the same time the decision is urs. Just like somebody have said u should go alone and file for ur wife after 5 years, I think that should be better than taking the risk and have nothing at the end. Besides, ur wife can be visiting u every year before filing for her in 5 years.

I am the winner of DV 2010 lottery . When I filled the DS 230 and DS) 122 forms , I omitted to write important work experience which I worked. I have an interview appointment in May 2010. Can I rewrite or edit my work experience and send in the new DS 230 and DSP 122 forms t to the KCC . Or can I tell the omission to the consular officer in the embassy during my interview? Will the consular officer consider this new information as a fraud? or will she/he accept it to me if I write in the new DS 230, and DSP 122 forms which is supposed to be sent to the embassy. Will the consular officer ask me why I didn't mention it before? What can I do during my interview?

Please help me

Barya yesus

I am the winner of DV 2010 lottery . When I filled the DS 230 and DS) 122 forms , I omitted to write important work experience which I worked. I have an interview appointment in May 2010. Can I rewrite or edit my work experience and send in the new DS 230 and DSP 122 forms t to the KCC . Or can I tell the omission to the consular officer in the embassy during my interview? Will the consular officer consider this new information as a fraud? or will she/he accept it to me if I write in the new DS 230, and DSP 122 forms which is supposed to be sent to the embassy. Will the consular officer ask me why I didn't mention it before? What can I do during my interview?

Please help me

Barya yesus

why do you post this all over? makes no sense. could you have some discipline in your posting please.
you should contact embassy and advise of these changes before the interview. and dont do this again.

I would get married asap!! (we did this just before the interview)

Go register your marriage (if you did not do this already), send a DS230 with an official government doc saying you are registered for marriage and the date of actual marriage and ask to add your spouse-to-be to be added to your case and to postpone the interview until after the marriage.

You should be fine doing this. And I don't think you need 2 months for doing this, but you could request it.
I would personally not take any longer then necessary as you never know.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

There's nothing wrong with postponing your interview date but it's not something i will advice. Looking at your situation, you have roughly 2weeks or less to go for your interview. I advice that you go alone and fill for her to join you after five years.

alexee: could you please elaborate what do you mean by "and fill for her to join you after five years"?
this sounds like there are some rules and regulations pertaining DV process? Where can I find these rules or regulations?
thanks!

Im interested as well to where these rules are, as in the DV process you have certain procedures that exist within DV only, not in other family-related immigration (which you can find on the web site)

i havent received my marriage certificate yet. my biggest fear is that I may not be given only few weeks of postponing. it wil probably be for another month...
everyone, thanks a lot for the feedback!

I will not advice u to postpone ur interview at all especially for 2 months. The 2 months u want to postpone it to will be too busy because a lot of people will be current by then, and u may not even get exactly 2 months, it may be more than that. I read a post recently on Nigeria forum where somebody asked for 2 or 3 weeks postponement and he was given 2 or 3 months. That a risk my brother and I will not advice u to take it but at the same time the decision is urs. Just like somebody have said u should go alone and file for ur wife after 5 years, I think that should be better than taking the risk and have nothing at the end. Besides, ur wife can be visiting u every year before filing for her in 5 years.

ayoblack: could you explain this "5 years" thing in more detail, please?
thanks

correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 5 years thing they are talking about is in reference to when the DV winner as a GC holder files for his/her spouse, it takes around 5 years to come through. The GC holder can also wait until he/she can get US citizenship and the file for the spouse, this too may take about 5 years total. correct me if I'm wrong.

i havent received my marriage certificate yet

You need to send proof of intend to marry, like a registration of marriage. You send that in.
If you don't call them directly tell them you intend to marry and ask for what they need in order for her to be added to your case (so she gets a visa number).

When do you plan to marry and when is your interview?

(and what country/region are you from if you really want to continue asking about how to add her to your case in 5 years and postpone the interview).

correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 5 years thing they are talking about is in reference to when the DV winner as a GC holder files for his/her spouse, it takes around 5 years to come through. The GC holder can also wait until he/she can get US citizenship and the file for the spouse, this too may take about 5 years total. correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know about the first part, and also thought that you get become a citizen (5 years) then start the process to add her on a family-based visa (and be her sponsor?) which will take more time before she could physically move

You need to send proof of intend to marry, like a registration of marriage. You send that in.
If you don't call them directly tell them you intend to marry and ask for what they need in order for her to be added to your case (so she gets a visa number).

When do you plan to marry and when is your interview?

(and what country/region are you from if you really want to continue asking about how to add her to your case in 5 years and postpone the interview).

My CN: EU24XXX

we got it the day we went to register for the marriage.
are you in us right now?
and if so you coming to EU to marry and do interview?

is that why you can't get it quickly?

ps EU numbers are going very good this year so that gives you a chance to take a little longer (postpone) even for 2 months. But only ask for it if you have everything there, like the paper and her DS230 and the date of real marriage so you can send it that day and hope to have her added.

ps EU numbers are going very good this year so that gives you a chance to take a little longer (postpone) even for 2 months. But only ask for it if you have everything there, like the paper and her DS230 and the date of real marriage so you can send it that day and hope to have her added.

Neither you or me are a lawyer and giving some one advise to postpone their interview date can be risky....if the person postpones it and something happens it could be possible that the chance to obtain a GC will be over....maybe the chances of something like that happening are very small, but it isn't you or me who has to live with it since we live on happily ever after in the US where we are now for more then a decade, but the OP might not have that chance, so before giving advise like that, you should mention there is always a risk of postponing an interview date...what if the person will be put on administrative processing and it takes month....after Sept. 30th it is all over for any one who hasn't received the GC for DV 2010.

fthnm2005,

Before someone can give you any valuable advice, you may need to mention where are you processing your DV (field office). Also, where is your fiancee (if she is in the US and so are you ... then court marriage and certificate is almost instant) and then you can do your traditional marriage thingy in late summer! But don't postponed your interview if you can avoid doing so.

Last edited by a moderator: