Post GC Process

mrohit78

Registered Users (C)
Post GC Approval Process

Hello, my mom is currently in the US. She entered the country based on the Immigration Visa on her passport and gave the sealed packet at the port of entry (Seattle). We went to to the SSN office after she came, but were told that we need to wait for the SSN to come (via mail?). The folks there had folks had no clue but were very adamant that they can't issue the SSN for her and that she should wait.

She wants to leave the US in the next few weeks and come back again early next year (2014 March). Questions:

1. Can she reenter without a physical GC in hand? She was told it takes 6-8 months to come at port of entry. Her Immigrant Visa on her passport says something like valid for entry before Jan 9th 2014. Does that mean she can't re-enter the country unless she has her physical GC in hand?

2. Does it really take 6-8 months for the physical GC to come? What triggers the process here for the card creation? Her entry into the country or do we need to initiate something?

3. How do we get her SSN? Is it mailed automatically? Is it important to have before she leaves?

4. What else should I be aware of before she leaves the US?

Very confused here, so i appreciate any pointers here.Thanks so much..

-Rohit

Last edited by a moderator:
Her immigrant visa serves as a temporary green card for one year. The visa should state "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR", one year counted from date of her arrival.

It should take 1-2 months for the physical GC to arrive. GC production is triggered upon her entry.

SSN issue is now a part of immigration process and the SSN card should arrive in a few weeks.

Your mom should have no problem traveling out of US.

Hello, my mom is currently in the US. She entered the country based on the Immigration Visa on her passport and gave the sealed packet at the port of entry (Seattle). We went to to the SSN office after she came, but were told that we need to wait for the SSN to come (via mail?). The folks there had folks had no clue but were very adamant that they can't issue the SSN for her and that she should wait.
They are correct. They don't issue Social Security cards on the spot, they send it by mail. And if the SSN was requested on form DS-230 (I think question 43 or 44), its production would have already been automatically initiated by her admission into the US, and it will be delivered within a few weeks.

Her immigrant visa serves as a temporary green card for one year. The visa should state "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR", one year counted from date of her arrival.

Thank you so much. This really helps put me at ease.. A couple of more questions..

So in your opinion for the first reentry it is it better to re-enter before 180 days have passed right? Also in general what happens if she is out of the country for more than 180 days? I heard that this is frowned upon at the port of entry but staying outside the country for more than 180 days is not considered abandoning the GC is it?

They are correct. They don't issue Social Security cards on the spot, they send it by mail. And if the SSN was requested on form DS-230 (I think question 43 or 44), its production would have already been automatically initiated by her admission into the US, and it will be delivered within a few weeks.

Thanks jackolantern :)

Since February 2013, USCIS instituted a new immigration fee of 165$ to be paid before (recommended) you travel to the US or upon entry before a green card is produced. Failure to pay will result in no green card issuance. So make sure your mother has paid this fee, otherwise she won't get any green card.

Correct, if she requested a SSN when filling DS-230, the card will be mailed to her within 2 to 4 weeks. But there were instances where some immigrants did not get their SSN automatically and have to visit a SSA.

I personally went to a SSA the next day I enter US to request our SSN. The cards arrived in the mail the following week. One of my daughters ended up being issued 2 cards, fortunately with the same number. Many people have already done that.

Since February 2013, USCIS instituted a new immigration fee of 165$ to be paid before (recommended) you travel to the US or upon entry before a green card is produced. Failure to pay will result in no green card issuance. So make sure your mother has paid this fee, otherwise she won't get any green card.

You're referring to this: http://www.uscis.gov/immigrantfee
Yet another way to suck the money out of legal immigrants.

Yes, Jackolantern! mrohit78's mother has to pay this fee before a green card can be issued. Her I-551 stamp serves as temporary green card but once it expires she won't be able to travel with it. Then the only means for her to prove that she is permanent resident is the physical GC.

Yet another way to suck the money out of legal immigrants.
I could not have said it better!