Post CP Interview guide

Rajesh Paul

Registered Users (C)
For those folks who want to plan further than the interview :)
------------------------------------

1. Getting your immigrant visa pkt:
After the interview, the consulate will give you a sealed envelope with a temp visa page stapled on top for each immigrant. Donot open the envelope. Since this will be needed for verification at various points in your travel and there will be curious relatives who want to see it, it is better to keep it in a tranparent plastic pkt to protect it from being accidentally damaged. For Mumbai and Delhi, you can collect these packets in person from the consulate on the same day as the interview. Chennai delivers it through Blue Dart courier only (next day for Chennai, Bangalore and Hyderabad and an additional day for most other places, watch out for holidays). Blue dart usually gives you a call before they deliver, if you have provided a phone number. They will need a copy of your appointment letter or fees reciept. Verify all details on the visa page. Most corrections like spelling mistakes in name, etc. can be done at Port Of Entry. Go back to the consulate only if there are some drastic mistakes.

2. Journey to US:
Keep your passport, visa pkt and a pen handy. If your earlier visa has been canceled, your visa pkt is your license to travel to US. If the earlier visa has not been canceled, u can travel on that (the pkt will be needed only at POE). For Indians, if you are travelling to the US the first time as an immigrant (CP + marriage folks), as per regulation you are supposed to get a clearance from your local income tax office, although I don\'t think this is really enforced. The immigration in India usually needs only your passport, but they can ask for additional docs like your visa, the tax clearance, etc. On flight to US, fill up only the customs form. You do not need the other forms.

3. Port of Entry in US:
Locate the line for residents&US citizens. Some airports (like SFO) may have special lines for new immigrants. Give your customs form, passport and visa pkt to the immigration officer. They do not need anything else like your XRay, fee reciepts, etc. Usually (if there is no special counter for new immigrants), they will send you to a room for special processing. Sometimes these rooms also deal with people with visa problems so don\'t get worried with things that go on there. You may have to take a number (as in Minneapolis). Submit your passport & visa pkt once again, if they were handed back to you. Sometimes they will ask you to collect your baggage and come back (don\'t forget to carry a few dollars in change; trolleys in US are not free). You will be finger printed (right index finger) and asked to sign two places. Usually there are no questions asked, but they may ask about your employment, where you live, etc. If you are new to US, they will also give you some instructions regarding social security, etc. They will stamp your passport with I551 (your temporary GC valid for 1 year). It is pretty unimpressive, just that regular gov rubber stamp kind of thingee with your date of entry, category and A# hand filled. Sometimes they will also give you a form to send if your actaul GC is delayed for more than a year. Thats it, your done. Customs can be a pain if you are carrying food stuff as they sometimes ask you to open your baggage, so be prepared. Avoid round things like laddoos if possible.

3. Place of residence: Go to local Social Security office and change your visa status and also register for new SSN for spouse/dependents, if required. Inform your HR department at work. In addition to whatever paperwork your company may have, you will have to fill and give them an I9 form. This is only for the employer. It is recommended that you work for the company atleast for a year as that is the basis of your immigration. As with all rules, there are loopholes and bottomline is you will have to prove you had all intentions of working for the company when you got your GC, if req

Good Job Rajesh...But i think this should not be part of the

discussion.it should be moved under a CP folder "FAQ" or "guide" so that everybody can check before asking Q\'s.Srifix\'s doc etc should be moved there.b\'coz within few minutes new posting will push this discussion back and as most CP\'ers wont bothers to check old posting before asking the same Q\'s.

Post - CP Guide....Great

Rajesh,

Great job. As others have suggested it needs to go in the FAQ with date. Thank you and Best wishes for you and your family.

good doc...one more thing worth mentioning

Please add this to IV packet info:
For the couples going for CP the IV packet is ususally thicker for the primary applicant.

I got confused when I saw I packet was really thick and my wife\'s packet was like 1/2 thickness.

Intent at time of immigration

reading a doc Marta had posted a few days back I came to conclude that there is no magic number of days that you need to stay employed with the same employer after the DOE.

Your intention at the time of Entry should be to work for the pettitioning employer Permanently. Crux of the situation is to prove that your intention was correct at the time of immigrating.
How will you do this.... that is the million $ question