Possible out of status ???

violets

Registered Users (C)
Hello !

My story in a short way is like this. I came in U.S. with a J2 visa. My husband got a J1. He finished his contract sooner than it supposed to be. .Now we have a valid visa in passports for 1 more year. We are ok for U.S. embassy in our country as time as our visa is not expired ? There is any chance for my father to get a tourist visa as time as we have a valid visa in passport and I-94 is not expired ? I/m thinking that maybe we are not legal for INS anymore but still remain ok for the U.S. embassy in our country ..
Please there is any similar situation ? Or somebody could help me with any advice ? Thank you

Hello !

My story in a short way is like this. I came in U.S. with a J2 visa. My husband got a J1. He finished his contract sooner than it supposed to be. .Now we have a valid visa in passports for 1 more year. We are ok for U.S. embassy in our country as time as our visa is not expired ? There is any chance for my father to get a tourist visa as time as we have a valid visa in passport and I-94 is not expired ? I/m thinking that maybe we are not legal for INS anymore but still remain ok for the U.S. embassy in our country ..
Please there is any similar situation ? Or somebody could help me with any advice ? Thank you

The visa expiration date in your passport means nothing. This visa stamp is just for entry to the US during its validity. Once you enter the US, your legal stay will be till the end of your DS2019 or if the sponsor end the contract earlier than that. After that date (the contract finished) you should leave the US within one month and if you stay, you will be out of status despite the visa in the passport has one year or even five years left. Your father can get B visa depends on your father's condition not your J status which already done by the end of the contract. your father can not say to the embassy that my kid has valid stamp in the passport and valid I94 for example. (By the way, the expiration of I-94 is the same date with expiration of the DS2019 or cancelation of the contract, whichever earlier),

Thanks you, mmed. So the embassy in my country already knows about my actual situation here ? Or do you think they will know after my departure to my country ?
I dont think they will give my father a tourist visa knowing that his child is out of status ,right ?

Thanks you, mmed. So the embassy in my country already knows about my actual situation here ? Or do you think they will know after my departure to my country ?
I dont think they will give my father a tourist visa knowing that his child is out of status ,right ?

Once your contract is cancelled, the employer should, by law, inform the department of state that your mission done and every office related to the department of state including for sure consulates and embassies will know that your mission is done when they enter your number and name in the computer system and for sure your father can not get visa based on your expired status (by the way, for J visa holder to invite someone, the process start from international office at his/her place by filling certain form which in your case will not be done giving the fact that the contract already canceled)

ufff...thx mmed .How would I find my status ? Maybe the employer didnt inform the department ....