Portland OR - N400 timeline

Before I sign-off, Here is the full details of our Interview, oath, PP application.

Interview Part:

Our Interview was at 8:45 in the morning and we arrived at the DO at 8:15 or so. (Just so that people know, Porland OR DO does not have a specific parking for USCIS customers, you have to park along, NW Hoyt, or Park Avenue or NW Glisan. There are a number of meters around the building and they are mostly open). After passing security, walk straight to room 106 and place the N-400 interview letters in the box on the left had side. The IO look for the letter there and then call your name.

I was called by the IO at 8:40. She was very professional and nice too. First she swore me before I sat down. As I sat down I noticed the 1-2 inch folder on her table (think that must be all the docs that I had sent to INS/BCIS/USCIS over the course of 12 years I guess :) ). She said that she would go through the tests first and then go through the application. She printed out the questions from the computer. 6 Civics/History Questions. Here are the questions.

1.How many amendments does the constitution have?
2. What group of people was taken to America and sold as slaves?
3. Why did the colonists fight the British?
4.What is the highest court in the US.
5. Who makes laws?
6. Who is the vice-president?

She then asked me to read "Who can Vote" and then to write "Citizens 18 and older can vote"

After that she said that I had passed the interview and she went through the application. I had made one additional international travel since filing my n400 and gave her an updated page for that. She just jotted down the travel dates and made a comment "you haven't traveled much". I told her about the traffic tickets as I had said No to citations in my original application ( I had 3 tickets one speeding, one parking and one obstructing an intersection - all less than $500). I told her that I did not have court certified copies but did have the original tickets so offered her copies and she took them and noted down the 3 tickets along with the fees on the application. She said it was not a problem as it was less than $500. Then asked me to sign the application in 2 places and also on the side of the Photographs. Finally she gave me the document saying that I passed the interview and was being recommended for Naturalization. She then asked the big question, do you want to do the Oath today, I said ofcourse. She then printed out the Same day oath letter and asked me to be back @ 1:50pm for a 2pm oath. She then said wished me luck and we were out @ 8:55.

Oath Part:

Arrived back at 1:40 and found a parking spot on NW Hoyt. We where in the building waiting in room 117 @ 1:45. (Couple of things to note. 1. if you have children, make sure you have someone else other than the people going for the oath ceremony there to take care of them, 2. No Jean or shorts :( ). @ 1:55, they took us all to the 2nd floor and asked the people taking the oath to wait outside. Then another officer arrived and she took our oath letters and Green cards (I noticed that almost everyone that I saw in the waiting in the morning was there :) ). Once inside, we sat in the front, went through a few videos 1. Faces of America, 2. President Obama's message, 3.forgot the other 2 :( . Then the immigrant judge had a few words and swore us in. She then called us one by one and gave us our Naturalization certificate. The comment that the IO made was to make sure that the naturalization certificate data was correct before we left the building. She asked us to register to Vote, update the Social Security Office about the change in status and apply for a US passport (The main Post office for Portland is next door). We where then allowed to take pictures in front of the flag.

After 13 years from F1->H1B->GC we are finally done with USCIS and US Citizens.

Passport application:

We then filled up our passport applications and walked next door to the PO on Hoyt St (Passport applications are only accepted until 3:30pm M-F), submitted the application and was told that it takes about 4-6 weeks to get the passports back (regular. Did not want to spend the extra 60-70 bucks for expedited). Took a copy of the Naturalization certificates and then paid $135 (2 checks 1. for $110 to the State department and 2. $25 to the Post master) for the passport applications and where out of there @ 3:15. You can have your Photos taken at the PO also, but we had copies and so skipped that step. Please note that the PO does not accept Credit cards for passport applications and so you need to have your check book.

GC2NATZ- Congratulations on your interview. Please write in the forum when you get your US passport in Hand. I would like to know how long it takes to get the US passport in hand when you apply through "regular" application (without expedited).
Again thanks for your interview details.

Quick update:

Oath date is August 18th, 10:50 AM. Letter was dated July 27th and came when I was on vacation in the UK.

I was told during my interview I should bring my passport & travel itenary to the ceremony.

Still waiting for the interview letter, has been over a month since FP. Really take this long to schedule an interview at Portland?

We received our passports in the mail today's. It took less than 2 weeks (12 days) to get our passports in regular service, dont know if we just got lucky. Anyway. Good Luck to everyone in the form.

Oath this morning...

Everything went smoothly (47 people taking the oath along with me). Not much to add to GC2NATZ description of the process other than my 18 month old decided to be very vocal throughout the whole affair.

Went straight over to the post office on Hoyt to get my passport appliaction in. Took a little longer than expected as the person processing applications went on break!

My 13 year journey from L1 to H1B to GC to citizenship is finally over. Looking forward to being able to vote in the upcoming election after living here for so long.

Good luck eveyone is still 'in-process'

Hello everyone,
I am a US Citizen and would like to know if I can accompany my wife to the Naturalization Interview. Can I go inside and sit in the waiting room? Has anybody accompanied their spouses before?

Secondly, does Portland, OR office have Oath Ceremony every day? From 'GC2NATZ' and 'needtowork', there is Oath ceremony on Monday and Thursday.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Hi Sapro,

You can accompany your spouse and sit in the waiting area. But whether you can accompany her to the interview itself is at the discretion of the IO. I have heard multiple things, some say that they have an Oath ceremony every day, but some have said differently.

Hi GC2NATZ: Thanks for your response. That was a typo by me. What I actually meant was whether i can sit in the waiting room in case there is need for extra documents.

Passport Question?

So, I'm planning on leaving the country at the end of December for two weeks, but my Canadian passport needs to be renewed before I go. However, I recently received my interview notice for my N400 to take place on September 27th. It says on the notice to bring all passports with you to the interview. If I do this, will they keep my Canadian passport? I need to send it in when I apply for a new one, because I'm concerned that I will not have my American citizenship/passport in time for me to go. I called the national office, and they were about as helpful as a wall...If I knew that the oath would take place very soon after the interview, I wouldn't be concerned about getting an american passport in time...but it sounds like some people are having to wait several weeks, and that ends up cutting it pretty close. I'd really like to have my Canadian passport as a back up if my citizenship doesn't go through in time...opinions?

Passport not kept

They will not keep your Canadian passport. Moreover you can get same day passport in Seattle in case of emergency

Interview letter arrived

I got a yellow letter asking me to bring my driver's license, then a week later (Aug 30th) I got the interview letter for Oct 4th.
I hope it goes smoothly and I get the same day oath ;)

Interview & oath done

Had my interview in the Portland office. Everything went smoothly, the whole thing took less than 15 minutes.
At the end of the interview I got that wonderful "would you like to take the oath today?". I think it was luck, my interview started at 8:20AM, and I was third to last called in to the oath ceremony.

Overall about 3.5 months from receipt day to citizenship in hand. Not too shabby USCIS! If only my GC had gone this smoothly...

Good luck to all who are still in the process.

Reopen this thread

Hi All:
Is anyone else with a pending application at Portland? If so, I'd like to share timelines. Please post if you can

9/7: N-400 application delivered to USCIS Phoenix Lockbox
9/12 Check cashed
9/14: Received receipt notice
9/16: Received biometrics appointment letter
9/26: Completed biometrics
9/28: Inline for interview scheduling
11/9: received yellow letter

Still waiting for interview letter/date :(

2012 Portland OR - New Office

In January, 2012 the USCIS Office in Portland, OR moved to:
USCIF Portland OR
1455 NW Overton St.
Portland, OR 97209

All Oregon residents use this office.
Street parking (metered) is easy.
They accept entry through security up to an hour early.
They allowed spouse to accompany to waiting room.
It is new, clean and friendly.

Here is our Biometrics (fingerprinting and photo) experience.
Security in entry hallway,
then on to information desk in hall that sends you into waiting room.
Receptionist in waiting room checks you in to sit in waiting room.
Not crowded, no coat hooks, pleasant, plenty chairs.
Wait was less than 10 minutes, entire process about 20 minutes.
Asked both receptionists when we might get the interview letter, both said they didn't know, a couple weeks, soon, not long...

Processing times N400 Portland

2012 Jan 15: N400 Application Sent to Portland office
2012 Jan 17: Application received by USCIS, check deposited
2012 Jan 19: NOA receipt made, email received. (Notice of Application)
2012 Jan 24: Received NOA receipt in mail
2012 Jan 26: Biometrics email and sms notification sent
2012 Feb 02: Biometrics letter received
2012 Feb 08: Biometrics, photo and fingerprints Done
2012 Feb 28: Email received- In Line for an interview appointment
2012 March 3 Letter, Pre-Interview Case Review- waiting for
interview appt. to be scheduled
2012 March 27 SMS and Email notice that Interview is scheduled, waiting for letter for date of interview.
Next Steps:
Interview appointment letter
Interview
Oath
Naturalization Certificate
Passport Application
Passport Received

Question:
Anyone have experience with wait time for interview letter?

Last edited by a moderator:
N400 Process Timeline: Portland Office

Processing times N400 Portland

2012 Jan 15: N400 Application Sent to Portland office
2012 Jan 17: Application received by USCIS, check deposited
2012 Jan 19: NOA receipt made, email received. (Notice of Application)
2012 Jan 24: Received NOA receipt in mail
2012 Jan 26: Biometrics email and sms notification sent
2012 Feb 02: Biometrics letter received
2012 Feb 08: Biometrics, photo and fingerprints Done
2012 Feb 28: Email received- In Line for an interview appointment
2012 March 3 Letter, Pre-Interview Case Review- waiting for
- - - - - - - interview appt. to be scheduled
2012 March 27 SMS and Email notice that Interview is scheduled,
- - - - - - - waiting for letter for date of interview.

Next Steps:
Interview appointment letter
Interview
Oath
Naturalization Certificate
Passport Application
Passport Received

Question:
Anyone have experience with wait time between Biometrics and Interview Date?

BTW, to get approved to make posts in this forum, write to the webmaster on the bottom of the page, the approval to make posts does not occur automatically, even if you have registered for several weeks.

My processing timeline in Portland, OR

DO: Portland, OR

06/07/07: GC (Employment)
03/19/12: N-400 mailed to Phoenix, AZ with USPS
03/21/12: N-400 delivered
03/22/12: N-400 priority date
03/26/12: Personal Check cashed
03/29/12: NOA recvd
04/18/12: FP notice mailed
04/20/12: FP notice recvd
05/16/12: FP done
05/18/12: Online Status changed to "Testing and Interview"
xx/xx/12: IL recvd
xx/xx/12: Interview
xx/xx/12: Oath
xx/xx/12: PP application
xx/xx/12: PP received

Any idea how long it will take to schedule N-400 interview?

DO: Portland, OR

06/07/07: GC (Employment)
03/19/12: N-400 mailed to Phoenix, AZ with USPS
03/21/12: N-400 delivered
03/22/12: N-400 priority date
03/26/12: Personal Check cashed
03/29/12: NOA recvd
04/18/12: FP notice mailed
04/20/12: FP notice recvd
05/16/12: FP done
05/18/12: Online Status changed to "Testing and Interview"
xx/xx/12: IL recvd
xx/xx/12: Interview
xx/xx/12: Oath
xx/xx/12: PP application
xx/xx/12: PP received

My status is still in 'Testing and Interview' and do not know how long it will take to schedule for Interview at Portland, OR.

Thanks