• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

police certificate

anuta

My interview will be in Montreal. I immigrated from Russia to Canada and now have a Canadian citizenship. I ordered a Police Certificate from Canadian police with my current name and my previous name which I had ,when I immigrated to Canada. However I have also my maiden name which I never used in Canada. Should I ask Police to also include it ? Should I proceed with fingerprinting in addition ?

Did you check the reciprocity page for Canada?

Applicants who are physically present in Canada should contact their local police service or Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) office regarding criminal record check procedures. Applicants may obtain a certificate of no conviction issued by any Canadian police service so long as it notes that Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) or the national criminal records repository was searched using the applicant's name and date of birth. Applicants should ensure that the search includes all names that they have previously used, including maiden names, prior married names, or names used before Canadian naturalization. (Note: Because records checks based on name and date of birth only are sometimes less thorough than those based on fingerprints, U.S. diplomatic offices reserve the right to request that certain applicants obtain fingerprint-based searches from the RCMP.)​

1 - Yes
2 - No. Looks like you don't need fingerprints unless they ask for it.

My advise is, go for fingerprint based search! That's what I did because my case is similar to yours. It is not mandatory but fingerprint based search will cover the entire person's history regardless of what names they use on the form!

Just make sure they have the name exactly as it says in your passport and your forms and then do the finger printing just in case

Dear colleagues,
I am DV2015 selectee's derivative. Though my interview will hopefully be towards the end of the fiscal year, I just obtained a police certificate from the country where I lived most of my life, just to make sure that the records are all good. My question: is this ok that in the police certificate there are no dates for a period covered? There is only one general statement "there are no criminal, administrative records for this individual in this country".
Please advise.
Thank you

Dear colleagues,
I am DV2015 selectee's derivative. Though my interview will hopefully be towards the end of the fiscal year, I just obtained a police certificate from the country where I lived most of my life, just to make sure that the records are all good. My question: is this ok that in the police certificate there are no dates for a period covered? There is only one general statement "there are no criminal, administrative records for this individual in this country".
Please advise.
Thank you

That should be fine - the specifics of police certs vary by country so the embassies just want to have something - so as long as it is clean they will check (tick) the box....

Wow! That is a quick reply. Thanks a lot.
To my deep embarrassment, I do have an arrest in US though, which resulted in a misdemeanor, which I obtained certified court records already. Would you know if that would increase my chances of getting an AP?
Also, on travel.state.gov it says "if you were arrested for any reason" you need to obtain a police certificate, but I guess it does not apply to US. I got an affidavit of arrest with my court records, but I do not think I need a police certificate from the US, do I? Do they even issue police certificates in the US?

I really appreciate the advise.

Wow! That is a quick reply. Thanks a lot.
To my deep embarrassment, I do have an arrest in US though, which resulted in a misdemeanor, which I obtained certified court records already. Would you know if that would increase my chances of getting an AP?
Also, on travel.state.gov it says "if you were arrested for any reason" you need to obtain a police certificate, but I guess it does not apply to US. I got an affidavit of arrest with my court records, but I do not think I need a police certificate from the US, do I? Do they even issue police certificates in the US?

I really appreciate the advise.

You don't have to provide police certs for the USA because the government agencies already share that information. US convictions are not too bad if they are not moral turpitude crimes - so they tend to take crimes involving drugs more seriously.

You don't have to provide police certs for the USA because the government agencies already share that information. US convictions are not too bad if they are not moral turpitude crimes - so they tend to take crimes involving drugs more seriously.
After my research I concluded that it was not a moral turpitude instance. However, I am far from thinking that it will not be taken into consideration in the application process. I appreciate your kind help.

Hi, you might be asked for a certificate of disposition. So, please make sure you it with you when you head to the embassy for your interview.

Hi, you might be asked for a certificate of disposition. So, please make sure you it with you when you head to the embassy for your interview.
Yes. Thank you. I got this one from the Court. I think the Judge was very kind to me with the disposition. My misdemeanor was DWI.

I would like to warn all the potential new comers to the US. DWI (driving while intoxicated or drunk driving) is a serious and is criminal violation in the US.
You may feel like it is ok to drive because there may be some legal level of alcohol in blood (depending on a state); and you may feel comfortable due to the fact that you see a lot of people are doing this after a night at a bar (or even a happy hour). But be assured IT IS NOT OK!!!
The consequences are huge and for some are irreversible. There may be jail time, huge fines, probation with a tracking device on your body, lawyer costs. You will have a permanent record and embarrassment that comes with it. You may be prevented from some employment opportunities, or even compromise your legal status in the US. But the worst part is that you put in danger other people (and their property)! Tens of thousands die because of DWI in the US annually.

Please keep this in mind and look out for your friends too.
Respectfully

Sadly a lot of people here come from places where driving drunk is seen as normal. So that's a good warning!
I actually came from a place like that. At the time DWI in my country was just another non-criminal traffic violation.
Another contributing factor is that in some areas in the US there is no public transportation and taxi prices are high. Regardless, after a drink at a bar an expenditure on a cab is the money well spent. The other option is a designated driver (one of your friends). I would also imagine that there should be "designated driver" service (where someone picks up you and your car for a fee) available in some areas, when it is inconvenient to leave your car at the place drinking. The last resort is just to call and wake up your wife to pick you up, even though your wife has not given you a permission to consume that night.

I would like to warn all the potential new comers to the US. DWI (driving while intoxicated or drunk driving) is a serious and is criminal violation in the US.
You may feel like it is ok to drive because there may be some legal level of alcohol in blood (depending on a state); and you may feel comfortable due to the fact that you see a lot of people are doing this after a night at a bar (or even a happy hour). But be assured IT IS NOT OK!!!
The consequences are huge and for some are irreversible. There may be jail time, huge fines, probation with a tracking device on your body, lawyer costs. You will have a permanent record and embarrassment that comes with it. You may be prevented from some employment opportunities, or even compromise your legal status in the US. But the worst part is that you put in danger other people (and their property)! Tens of thousands die because of DWI in the US annually.

Please keep this in mind and look out for your friends too.
Respectfully

You are quite right. Sadly I see way too many people take chances with DWI in the States. Before I came to the States the first time, "drinking and driving" meant having some drinks and then driving somewhere. I had only been here a few weeks (back in the mid nineties) when a friend invited me for a night out. We met at his house and I suspected he had already had a drink and I was nervous because he had told me he was going to drive. Just before we were due to leave he started loading a bucket with some ice and getting some coke/rum/and cups - to my amazement he was literally getting ready for the journey!!! I then understood why American cars had cup holders - which wasn't common in UK cars at that time.

Needless to say - I found an excuse to become the designated driver for the night....

A lot of people would have this fallacious idea that they are not that drunk to drive. I had this one too until I found myself sitting in a brand new SUV flipped up side down (buckle up - is another good habit). If there is anything positive in my story, this is that I learned my lesson a relatively easy way (without hurting others or damaging other's property). I would not let my friends to fall in this trap too.

Sensei-san
I'm interested in hearing more about your situation. I got arrested In the US for a crime involving moral turpitude. However, my case got dismissed due to lack of evidence. No community service or fine.
Have done your interview yet? Did they ask about your arrest? What was the outcome?

P.S
Are you really a teacher? :)

If I am lucky enough to go current, the interview will take place towards the end of the fiscal year.
After researching the issue I concluded that my case (a single DWI) would not be construed as one involving turpitude. My disposition: 6 days of county confinement which were offset by the court's credit system, so I did not get any actual confinement; no fine, no probation, no restitution.
I am not a teacher, I just work for Japanese company and I am so into competitive sports.

This is what official site says: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/ineligibilities.html

"(A)
Conviction of certain crimes.-

(i) In general.-Except as provided in clause (ii), any alien convicted of, or who admits having committed, or who admits committing acts which constitute the essential elements of-

(I) a crime involving moral turpitude (other than a purely political offense) or an attempt or conspiracy to commit such a crime, or

(II) a violation of (or a conspiracy or attempt to violate) any law or regulation of a State, the United States, or a foreign country relating to a controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802)), is inadmissible.

(ii) Exception.-Clause (i)(I) shall not apply to an alien who committed only one crime if-

(I) the crime was committed when the alien was under 18 years of age, and the crime was committed (and the alien released from any confinement to a prison or correctional institution imposed for the crime) more than 5 years before the date of application for a visa or other documentation and the date of application for admission to the United States, or

(II) the maximum penalty possible for the crime of which the alien was convicted (or which the alien admits having committed or of which the acts that the alien admits having committed constituted the essential elements) did not exceed imprisonment for one year and, if the alien was convicted of such crime, the alien was not sentenced to a term of imprisonment in excess of 6 months (regardless of the extent to which the sentence was ultimately executed)."

So, as I understand it, even with a case involving turpitude, where the maximum penalty do not exceed 1 year, and a sentence assigned is less then 6 months, one would still be eligible.

please help me guys, if anyone experienced like me, so this is about police certificate,
i had interview yesterday, but CO put me on pending status, CO said to me to complete soon.

so, my situation is
in 2006-2009 i lived in australia for study, so CO asked police record during that time, and CO also gave me link to make police record,
but the problem is, i live in kuwait that has 8 hours different time.

i visited the link and it said, can be apply online, so i just follow what the website said, but still i founded difficulties coz in that website mention need some documents which is i dont have. so i sent them an e-mail, but still not reply yet,

now i am getting stag, i read also for police record need a month for the process.

so, if anyone knows, is there any past-track how to obtain police record from the country where you live before,,especially from australia,

big thank you,
sorry with my english guys,,,,