• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Police certificate UK

tigerGC

Registered Users (C)
I would appreciate if anyone has any advice or comment on obtaining a UK police certificate. I am a DV-2008 winner (2008EU00014XXX). I am not a British citizen but I am required to get one because I lived there more than 6 months. My forecast for getting an interview is between Jan-May.

Does anyone have an idea on how early should i get this certificate? I don't want to get it too early because I am afraid they will say it is too old.

I talked to the British police and they told me that they accept either cash,
cheque, money order or Bankers draft. They advice against sending cash. Does anyone know how to obtain one of the above in British pounds here in the US?

tigerGC,

I got my Police Certificate by going to my local police station, but unfortunately I don't know how you can get one in the US.

In the UK, it is called "Subject Access" and is quite easy to get one (if you live in the UK). You can download the form from the website:
http://www.met.police.uk/dataprotection/forms.htm

They will ask you an ID like passport (and maybe proof of address). It costs £10 per application and it may take up to 40 days to get the result.

As far as I know, the UK Police Certificate is only valid for 6 months.

Good luck,
Denniz

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under the impression that you need police certificates if you spend more than a year in another country. Not 6 months.

tigerGC,

I got my Police Certificate by going to my local police station, but unfortunately I don't know how you can get one in the US.

In the UK, it is called "Subject Access" and is quite easy to get one (if you live in the UK). You can download the form from the website:

They will ask you an ID like passport (and maybe proof of address). It costs £10 per application and it may take up to 40 days to get the result.

Good luck,
Denniz

Thank you Denniz,
I already contacted the local police there and got the forms. Now I just need to figure out a way to make a money order or something like that in British pounds.

I was under the impression that you need police certificates if you spend more than a year in another country. Not 6 months.

Hey Lucy,

Thank you for the comment. I checked the documents I got with the NL and you are absolutely right. It is 1 year and not 6 months (not that it makes a difference for me unfortunately, I was there 4 years).

Then police report is needed if you lived in a country more than 12 months..So could you please give a source saying not 6 but 12 months?

Hey Lucy,

Thank you for the comment. I checked the documents I got with the NL and you are absolutely right. It is 1 year and not 6 months (not that it makes a difference for me unfortunately, I was there 4 years).

the NL i have doesn't say either six months or 1 year. I wonder if some one can tell me where to find this information

UK Police Report

If u know someone in the uk they can get a postal order for u i think the report is only £10 ($20) and send it of to local police station for u - if not i think u may be able to get a brittish pound cheque in ur bank????? When did u receive notice where ur country of eligibility?

I would appreciate if anyone has any advice or comment on obtaining a UK police certificate. I am a DV-2008 winner (2008EU00014XXX). I am not a British citizen but I am required to get one because I lived there more than 6 months. My forecast for getting an interview is between Jan-May.

Does anyone have an idea on how early should i get this certificate? I don't want to get it too early because I am afraid they will say it is too old.

cheque, money order or Bankers draft. They advice against sending cash. Does anyone know how to obtain one of the above in British pounds here in the US?

the NL i have doesn't say either six months or 1 year. I wonder if some one can tell me where to find this information

If you read the documents you received with your NL carefully, you will find it says 1 year. I was under the impression that it was 6 months but I was wrong. I checked yesterday and now I am absolutely sure it is 1 year.

If u know someone in the uk they can get a postal order for u i think the report is only £10 ($20) and send it of to local police station for u - if not i think u may be able to get a brittish pound cheque in ur bank????? When did u receive notice where ur country of eligibility?

check my thread on case numbers for Europe for the dates and my country of eligibility is Italy although i think what is relevant at this stage is the continent rather than the country.

tigerGC,

Good luck,
Denniz

I would like to know how long the certificate is valid?

Boa

YOu can get from BOA( bank of america). I did that

If someone has spent 10 months (Aug, 06-May, 07) abroad (Turkey) and returned home (Azerbaijan), it means he or she needs prepare police certificate of his/her native country (Azerbaijan).
Is that certain that he/she needs to obtain police certificate just only in Azerbaijan.
If anyone may help me in this issue, i will thankful to him/her.

here is the response from KCC about police certificates.

Police Certificates
Police certificates are required for each visa applicant aged 16 years or older. The following information illustrates how many police certificates are required based on where each applicant lives and has lived previously. Present and former residents of the United States should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the U.S.

· If the applicant is living in their country of nationality at their current residence for more than 6 months, and is 16 years old or older, then the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality.
· If the applicant lived in a different part of their country of nationality for more than 6 months, and was 16 years or older at that time, then the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality.
· If the applicant lived in a different country for more than 12 months, and was 16 years or older at that time, then the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality.
· If the applicant was arrested for any reason, regardless of how long they lived there, and was any age at that time, then the applicant needs a police certificate from the police authorities of that locality.

The police certificate must:
· Cover the entire period of the applicant’s residence in that area, and
· State what the appropriate police authorities records show concerning each applicant, including all arrests, the reason for the arrest(s), and the disposition of each case of which there is a record.

Note: Police certificates from certain countries are unavailable. More specific information can be obtained from your nearest United States immigrant visa processing post.

But I think certification from other cities/locations in native country is not necessary because in many countries issuing police cert is centralized.

Baki'ye selam.. :)

If someone has spent 10 months (Aug, 06-May, 07) abroad (Turkey) and returned home (Azerbaijan), it means he or she needs prepare police certificate of his/her native country (Azerbaijan).
Is that certain that he/she needs to obtain police certificate just only in Azerbaijan.

Hi, s/he won't need from Turkey, but need one(s) from Azerbaijan.
The following link will give you explanation about police certificate.
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1675606&postcount=18

thanx dragoman again for your kindly reply.

I wonder about if someone spent abroad in many times with durations 10 months or less in each time. In this case total period spending aborad on the basis of the same location will be calculated together or will take into consideration just only btw arrival and departure.

For example,
if someone spent 10 months in Ankara, Turkey and come back and stayed again 10 months in Ankara, Turkey and come back to native country. how will consider this situation. should we say calculating total period staying abroad as 20 months or we should consider just only the case btw departure and arrival.

Hi, s/he won't need from Turkey, but need one(s) from Azerbaijan.
The following link will give you explanation about police certificate.
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1675606&postcount=18

Hi toomackie,
could you please help me with my situation
Validity of a Police certificate from Canada (RCMP)
I am very anxious about this issue and I really appreciate your advice and thoughts.

According to the RCMP web site, a police certificate could take up to 150 days to be processed. So back then, in preparation for an eventual interview during June or July, I applied well ahead of time for a police certificate. Unfortunately (the irony ), it took only 2 months for it to be ready. So I am in possession of a police certificate from the RCMP since January 2007.

Finally I was notified that my interview is set for the second week of July.

My question, do you think that my police certificate will be accepted knowing that I haven’t been to Canada since the time I requested the police certificate in question?
Meanwhile I already sent a request for a second certificate but I am afraid it won’t make it on time for my interview which is not heppening in Canada.

Thanks for your help and advice.

My question, do you think that my police certificate will be accepted knowing that I haven’t been to Canada since the time I requested the police certificate in question?
Hi getOut, I think they will accept the police certificate as long as it is valid. In US Embassy in my country says it must be valid at the time of interview. About its validity, it seems different depends on country; it's 6 months in some countries, 12 months in other countries. So, you might want to check with US Embassy/Consulate where you will have your interview. Sometimes, information is available on their HP (FAQ about immigrant visa).