• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

POE process

Chris H

Hi folks, all the hoops have been jumped through and my wife and I are now holding passports with temporary visas stamped and all our documentation.

We are activating our green cards at the POE in Dublin Airport on Thursday morning. For those of you who don't know Dublin has a special US border crossing at the airport.

Our flight to Washington is at 12pm and I have read when we go through immigration in Dublin this can take a few hours, does anyone have any clues on this?

We are activating our green cards on our vacation which we booked over a year ago and then when we come back I finish a project at work near Christmas then we will make the move permanently.

Any other advice for the initial border crossing?

Hi folks, all the hoops have been jumped through and my wife and I are now holding passports with temporary visas stamped and all our documentation.

We are activating our green cards at the POE in Dublin Airport on Thursday morning. For those of you who don't know Dublin has a special US border crossing at the airport.

Our flight to Washington is at 12pm and I have read when we go through immigration in Dublin this can take a few hours, does anyone have any clues on this?

We are activating our green cards on our vacation which we booked over a year ago and then when we come back I finish a project at work near Christmas then we will make the move permanently.

Any other advice for the initial border crossing?

It's not a big deal - there is no "interview" or anything like that. You may see a line dedicated to new immigrants, but if not you line up with all visitors. Once you reach the front of the line, typically they will take you to a second "inspection area". That can sometimes mean a few more minutes waiting. Processing your forms takes a few minutes, and typically no questions - nothing more than a rubber stamping exercise. This, by the way, is the last chance you will have to change the address where your GC will be sent - so make sure that address is a residential address where someone will accept the letter and hold it for you.

It's not a big deal - there is no "interview" or anything like that. You may see a line dedicated to new immigrants, but if not you line up with all visitors. Once you reach the front of the line, typically they will take you to a second "inspection area". That can sometimes mean a few more minutes waiting. Processing your forms takes a few minutes, and typically no questions - nothing more than a rubber stamping exercise. This, by the way, is the last chance you will have to change the address where your GC will be sent - so make sure that address is a residential address where someone will accept the letter and hold it for you.

Thanks, I remember you saying that previously, much appreciated. I've got passports, unopened envelopes, paid the fee and my X-rays from London. All set! Can't wait till my actual move.

Thanks, I remember you saying that previously, much appreciated. I've got passports, unopened envelopes, paid the fee and my X-rays from London. All set! Can't wait till my actual move.

Carry all that - they usually ignore the Xray