Pls..Question about the translation of foreign birth certificate

pp_uu_ii

Registered Users (C)
I'm applying for AOS. I have the foreign birth certificate. My question is can i use any private companies who are the fluent translators to translate my birth certificate? From the USCIS website, it didn't mention that they need the translation to be certified by the foreign government. However, i kindof concerned if i should do something more for the transaltion (which is very difficult to do in my country).

In the translation, what should be included? Stamp, name, address of the translator?

Thanks a lot for your help.

the best is to used a translator who is also notary public. it shouldn't cost you more than $100.

Usually the translator will assemble the document in this way:

- Original docuement (in foreign language) at the bottom.
- On top of that, the English translation.
- On the very top, certificate of the translator basically stating that he/she is fluent in both languages and has translated to the best of his/her knowledge. It's good to include the translator name, address on the certificate which should also be notarized by someone else.

Find some firms that providing immigration services. Normally they do translation as well.

You don't need the translation to be certified. I just asked a friend, who is originally from my country to translate my birth certificate. It was as easy as that. He translated it, put a statement that he is proficient in both languages at the bottom, signed and put his contact information there too. No certifications, no fees and no trips to the notary.

Agree with NIW06

You don't need the translation to be certified. I just asked a friend, who is originally from my country to translate my birth certificate. It was as easy as that. He translated it, put a statement that he is proficient in both languages at the bottom, signed and put his contact information there too. No certifications, no fees and no trips to the notary.

I agree with NIW06. When a friend of mine wanted their birth certificates translated, he asked me to do so. I did exactly as described above by NIW06. He didn't have any problem with his 485 and is now about to apply for citizenship.

Oh no..I already did the certified one back in my country !!and it was very expensive !! Too bad..Anyway, thank you you both for sharing..i'll keep it in mind :)

That was smart actually! Because it will depend A LOT on IO. Some will be OK with translation from the friend, and some will NOT.

Oh no..I already did the certified one back in my country !!and it was very expensive !! Too bad..Anyway, thank you you both for sharing..i'll keep it in mind :)

I was the petitioner for both of Parents GC, and I did all of their docs translation (BC's, MC, etc...), I also noted on the bottom of translated certs that I'm fluent in both languages and certified that I translated corretly to my best knowledge, and dated and signed. All was OK, they now have GC on hand. You can google for sample of certification statement, I also used excel to format the translate copy closely to the original one's. No notary was needed since INS/USCIS doesn't require. It costed nothing except for one's time and effort. Good luck.

That was smart actually! Because it will depend A LOT on IO. Some will be OK with translation from the friend, and some will NOT.
Did you read the instructions? It does not depend on IO, they just follow the rules, which clearly say that translations don't have to be notarized.

Did you read the instructions? It does not depend on IO, they just follow the rules, which clearly say that translations don't have to be notarized.

It also doesn't say you can translate it yourself or the petitioner can do so. Also I don't think "certify" means just a signature. Does it mean you can pick up someone from a street and make him sign and date it? Not so sure.

As for following instructions and such.... Instructions also don't say to bring I9s, however I know number of IO (say in CO) are asking about I9s on the interview before making a decision. Frankly, I wouldn't be that brave to start arguing with IO about instructions and rules on the interview. It's always better to be over-prepared.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is/are I9s? And yes, anybody "from a street" with knowledge of both English and BC language can translate and certify BC for the purposes of I-485 and I-130.