Please, need help

Aliona

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions:
-my husband filed for me I-130 in february 2005 now he became a citizen, should I wait for I-130 approval and then file 485 and all forms or should we file right a way?
-I would like to change my maidan name to my mariage name but how do I do that with the immigration papers? My husband filed I-130 in my maiden name now when I have to file all forms should I go in my maiden name or should I file in my mariage name? I'm so confuse please help me.

Thanks

Aliona said:
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions:
-my husband filed for me I-130 in february 2005 now he became a citizen, should I wait for I-130 approval and then file 485 and all forms or should we file right a way?
-I would like to change my maidan name to my mariage name but how do I do that with the immigration papers? My husband filed I-130 in my maiden name now when I have to file all forms should I go in my maiden name or should I file in my mariage name? I'm so confuse please help me.

Thanks
You have to send his Certificate of Citizenship to USCIS and upgrade your I 130 application. There is long discussion on this topic in this forum. You may want to search for it and read it.
I had the same situation. I cancelled my old I130 and filed a newone with I 485 because I didn't want to wait till they upgrade my I 130 to file I485. Though I lost my money on first I130. Some people here says you do not have to wait till they upgrade your I 130 and can file I 485. I talked with an immigration officer at my DO personally and I found my way most safest and fastes. But different officers will suggest you different ways. :rolleyes: Its up to you.
Regarding your maiden name, if you have changed your name to marriage name every where else like on SSN or on DL or anything else (official one), then I would suggest you to use your married name on your I 485. They also ask for your maiden name on the form. You can write your maiden name there and that way they can link both name. Also you will be sending your marriage certificate with the application.

thanks Amishah,

The problem is that I overstayed my visa so I can't change my name in SSN and DL. When we filed I-130 we put just my maiden name and didn't mention my marriage name. Will that be a problem? May I use both names in the future applications?
Regards.
Aliona :confused:

Aliona said:
thanks Amishah,

The problem is that I overstayed my visa so I can't change my name in SSN and DL. When we filed I-130 we put just my maiden name and didn't mention my marriage name. Will that be a problem? May I use both names in the future applications?
Regards.
Aliona :confused:
I would suggest you to use your marriage name in your I 485. This way you will get your GC on your marriage name. I think that is what you would like to have so you don't have go to the hassel of changing your name on your GC later on. That is fine if you have not mentioned your married name on your I 130. Still they will be able to link your names through your marriage Certificate. DO not worry. Whenever you got for your FP and biomatric keep your marriage certificate with you.
Even after this if you can not convince yourself to use your new name, use your maiden name and get it changed on GC after you receive it.

If you have already a SSN and a DL, the SSN won't change just your name in your card.
Check at the SSA website about name changes.
As Amishah said don't worry, if you put all the documents that explain why change names (last name actually) as the Marriage Certificate, they know perfectly ALL those cases. I posted an explanation about it in a previous thread in this forum.

Good luck,