Please join us!

Please...

Hello -

We do not have time to fight. I have been living here for 8 years, and I have never tried to take money from the government. My son grew up here but he cannot go to the University here because our family cannot get help from the government. We also have to worry about having to look to make sure the immigration people are not around to catch us.

I want to be legal. Some people in the government want to make me and my family criminals. We are not criminals. We are hard working people. My son studied hard in school. He only knows American culture. I worked two jobs and studied English at night. I don't like when my sisters and brothers wave Mexican flags. I tell them no, and I also don't like to sing the national song in Spanish.

We must come together and ask the government for better imigration bill.

Juan

sometime2006 said:
How many illegals do you see on welfare? I see not one since they are not illegible for welfare. And yes, the checking for Gov't benefits is strict so they are not just lying to get them. They have been cut off from almost all Gov't benefits since the 90's. Re-posting ignorant comments like that and then agreeing with them... Well that is the point. If you don't like it, then fine, but don't stereotype an entire class of people based upon false and misleading statements.

That comment was regarding US Citizens on welfare, who opt not to work and instead choose to live off a free check from the governemnt. I am sure any idiot would know that illegals do not qualify for 99% of the benefits, leave alone welfare :)

Just remember, most Americans do not separate in their mind the difference between illegal and legal immigrants. Watch the news, the people who are being interviewed and even the anchors talk about immigrants getting Gov't benefits, immigrants getting handouts, immigrants taking jobs... I don't hear the word illegal used very often. Posting comments like this hurt ALL immigrants.

This was a recent topic of discussion in the news lately. The opinion of a lot of people was that the quote "A day without immigrants" was improperly used. The rally had nothing to do with legal immigrants who never had any problem with any law being passed in regards to illegal immigrants unless they were fighting for an illegal they know or were related to. Most people agree that the phrase should have included "illegal" in it to emphasize what the rally was really for. Yes, legal immigrants get benefits, so what? they pay taxes, contribute to the economy and they deserve it. Illegals on the other hand, dont pay taxes, earn money here and send it back to mexico, utilize free education, medical benefits, and a lot of other benefits that come from the taxes YOU and I pay. Imagine 12 million illegals and the drain they causes on our economy if they just keep taking away from the system and dont contribute back to it!

JuanSorano61 said:
Hello -

We do not have time to fight. I have been living here for 8 years, and I have never tried to take money from the government. My son grew up here but he cannot go to the University here because our family cannot get help from the government. We also have to worry about having to look to make sure the immigration people are not around to catch us.

I want to be legal. Some people in the government want to make me and my family criminals. We are not criminals. We are hard working people. My son studied hard in school. He only knows American culture. I worked two jobs and studied English at night. I don't like when my sisters and brothers wave Mexican flags. I tell them no, and I also don't like to sing the national song in Spanish.

Juan

Juan, i have nothing personal against you. Infact i whole heartedly support the Guest worker program for people like you to legalize themselves and go through the proper channel we all went through legally. I perfectly agree that everyone has a right to earn a living, right to a good life but you have to understand that you have to earn that right the legal way and not steal it by breaking the law, staging rallies and demanding amnesty (which i think is a slap in the face of all immigrants who have been legally waiting for years). This is what i had posted in a different thread http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1418008#post1418008, but ofcourse, i dont have any authority on deciding what is going to happen to all the illegal immigrants here. Lets wait and watch...

JuanSorano61 said:
Hello -

Juan

I couldn't agree more... You just want the opportunity to become a legal immigrant. Others had that opportunity either due to current immigration laws or amnesty back in the 80's.

The fact is the US economy needs 12+ million immigrants currently here because of the current age demographics. No economist disputes that. They also agree the US will need another 12-20 million over the next 15 years. The same thing is happening in Canada because of the aging population and 0 population growth.

Why are legal immigrants so against this... I just don't understand.

And yes, many Americans-US citizens (naturalized and from birth) DO realize what is the battle here and they know who are the legal and illegal. And that those rallys are for illegals to be legals jumping in front of all the others and "demanding" something that is not their right.

JuanSora check with who you are "protesting". Just look at your own slang so tomorrow you want to vote so vote for a Latino that in your mind should allow more people to break the law or you want to vote for people who follow it or just thinking in your own people or for the entire society?

Many of those rallys are organize by the right wings-comunist groups that now are showing their red flags, check out with who you are "protesting", those are the same people that you see in your country making problems and now you are coming to another country doing the same thing that you won't like that others do it in your country, actually that others even are not allow to do so. Many times I read articles about people from Nicaragua trying to get a better life in Mexico and how Mexico treat them, for me this entire issue is selfishness and ignorance in their maximum expression. With so many people from Mexico why you don't fight in your country, demanding what is right in your country and not demanding things that is not your right here. Immigration is not a right is a benefit. The worst part is that I heard the commentary from Nativo Lopez from Mexican Politics Association saying that this is like slavery. That is an insult.

JuanSorano61 said:
Hello -

Juan

I understand and I am sure every one of us are here to make our life better.

If you want to be legal, you shall go thru all legal process to apply the green card and come to US. Until that time, I would say I am very against any illegal immigrants staying in US.

However, when you can come to US legal, welcome.

Do you know why you can't get help from the gov't for your son going to university? Is it because you are one of the 12 millions illegal immigrant? If it is true, don't you realize that if you could even get the help from the gov't when you are living in US illegally, what kind of immigration system do we have in US?

sometime2006 said:
I couldn't agree more... You just want the opportunity to become a legal immigrant. Others had that opportunity either due to current immigration laws or amnesty back in the 80's.

The fact is the US economy needs 12+ million immigrants currently here because of the current age demographics. No economist disputes that. They also agree the US will need another 12-20 million over the next 15 years. The same thing is happening in Canada because of the aging population and 0 population growth.

You aren't able to understand... probably b'cos you only think like a "Natural born USC"!! :rolleyes:
BTW what's with you and your saying.. "Americans think this, americans think that" ?
I have many "natural born" USCs as co-workers and have some natural born USC relatives too and they definitely know the difference between Legal and Illegal immigrants. So STOP generalizing on what the "americans" think when it comes to immigrants. It is just you (and few others on the forum and elsewhere who think like you) that have a problem in differentiating legal and illegal immigrants. Legal immigrants are also American USCs when naturalized and they know the difference between legal and illegal!

And as you keep mentioning it several times on different threads, what we are saying is not hurting ALL immigrants. Try a different line, next time.

Just going by what you said quoting economists .. Yes the US and Canada might need Immigrants for the economy.. but what we are saying is there are tons and tons of those waiting patiently to enter the country legally to fill the "Immigrant need" - They should be given a chance first as opposed to those who entered illegally!

Last edited by a moderator:
And exactly that is the point as Ari says...and sometime2006 you don't get it, because probably you don't have family that are awaiting abroad of the US for more than 3 years and follow the law and instead people who just jump over the border and wait the necessary time now they can get all the privileges and what happened with the others abroad? For me is selfish.

And sorry, I don't agree in something here.
For me is as simple as this:
Let's say that I need a clerk in my company right? Yes I need it, probably yes, but it is MY RIGHT to decide who I am going to hire, when and how, the employee or future employee is not the one who decide or force to hire them because they "demand" so even they can be the most qualify person in the world (which that nevers is the case), EVEN I can be in need of that clerk and really need it. So at the end, I can decided to hire a person from Alaska instead of a person that is here where my company is. That is my right. Is not the business of anybody else to force me who I should hire even is I am need of it. So does not matter that the US is in need of cheap work (as they call now) my question will rest, today will be cheap but tomorrow when you legalize them won't be cheap anymore because they can sue you and demand you (and then will be their right) to follow the law. Isn't ironic? So again, probably more people who are legal immigrants as well and US citizens will be applying for that job because the wages will be correct.

And let's say that instead of to hire the illegal that is here, why I should be force to hire a person here if I want why don't change the law to benefit those who are waiting outside and probably I will find those who are waiting abroad the clerk that I need.

The other day in TV was this guy who own and another three other men do the landscaping job in several businesses and he said "who is saying that a US citizen does not want to do this job?...so who we are?" And he said the problem is that many people offer the job that was at certain salary but the problem since you can find it at lower salaries if you are illegal, you as a US citizen or permanent resident you have the law that can say I should not accept that job in that wage.

If they going to do those type of jobs as lower wages, well I haven't heard anything on the Department of Labor about lowering wages for that type of job. So again, when you legalize all of them, you will have to pay what the wage should be in the first place.

And sometime2006, I think you are the only person who are confusing legal with illegal immigrants and my husband is a US citizen and all his family has been born here as well, and they know clearly what is the difference between be a legal and illegal.

By the way, I heard over and over the word that the US is the land of immigrant, people should be doing more research and read history again, many Latin American and other countries as well had massive waive of immigration in other periods and that does not mean that they have an "open border" event in their countries :cool: .

sometime2006 said:
How many illegals do you see on welfare? I see not one since they are not illegible for welfare.

I've known many, many illegal immigrants, (the ones who came fraudulently over the southern border) in Los Angeles, who started to have a lot of children (children=US citizen according with the law) and they collected Govt. help for these kids...and since they have 4-5-6-7 kids...they made more money than the hard working people who rely only on their jobs...including many honest American born citizens, who live in semi-poverty. This is unfair, not for the legal immigrants but in the first place for the American citizens.

Just remember, most Americans do not separate in their mind the difference between illegal and legal immigrants.

I don't think this is true. Some American citizen may not, the anti-immigrants with their own agenda, but most of the American people are not so ignorant how you, one of them, want to portray them.

Watch the news, the people who are being interviewed and even the anchors talk about immigrants getting Gov't benefits, immigrants getting handouts, immigrants taking jobs... I don't hear the word illegal used very often. Posting comments like this hurt ALL immigrants.

Exactly the point of CNN Monday night. Many people, purposely or only because they are lazy don't say illegal immigrants, they just say immigrants...

In fact CNN started a poll Monday night: Do the media people who call the participants to the march immigrants and who choose not to say illegal immigrants are doing it purposely to give a legitimacy to the illegals and to mislead the American people? Yes or No?
The result of the poll was 95% yes...maybe the ones who voted weren't the born American people you are talking about all the time?

I am an American citizen married to a lawful permanent resident. I helped organize these rallies, and these are rallies for immigrants. Earned legalization is just part of the program. Family reunification is another.

Sunday, May 14th, is just for American Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents.

I know your pain. We waited over 3 years on my wife's name check. We sued with a writ of mandamus, and our case was finally processed. This is a day for people like me and all you lawful permanent residents who have to wait 5 to 10 years to see your families. Immigration is a complex issue and we need a day just for us to get the media attention to acknowledge our piece of the puzzle.

If you feel angry about your own situation, forget about everyone else -- get out there and act on your own behalf. If you really are sufferring, make the personal sacrifice to do something about it now. Why in the world would anyone think that LPRs are sufferring if they don't speak up for themselves. People don't come to immigrationportal.com to learn about immigration. They learn by watching the news.

I have reporters begging for lawful permanent residents.

Come to our Action Center at American Families United:
www.americanfamiliesunited.com

and sometime2006 you don't get it, because probably you don't have family that are awaiting abroad of the US for more than 3 years

Absolutely wrong... I have been dealing with the USCIS for years. My wife cannot travel home to see her family. My mother in law cannot visit us or see her grandchild.

Sure it sucks... But blaming the problems with current immigration law and the USCIS on illegal immigrants is just crazy. They need to be revamped, and that is what the proposed bills try to deal with.

sometime2006 said:
Absolutely wrong... I have been dealing with the USCIS for years. My wife cannot travel home to see her family. My mother in law cannot visit us or see her grandchild.

Sure it sucks... But blaming the problems with current immigration law and the USCIS on illegal immigrants is just crazy. They need to be revamped, and that is what the proposed bills try to deal with.

Yeah, are you are okay with the 12 million immigrants jumping ahead of your wife and your mother-in-law's applications? Lets assume that USCIS completes 1 million applications per year and if your application is pushed down the line to 12 million +1, you would typically have to wait for 12 more years if you let the illegals get ahead of you.

sometime2006 said:
This is exactly the problem we are talking about... about us waiting in line patiently while they break the law and jump ahead of us. Can you accept that? I definitely would not... nor will any law abiding citizen.

Ari4u -

Undocumented workers have actually given you a huge opportunity. Because of their protests, you now have the ability to stand up and have every local news channel listen to your personal story, while people like me are pushing to classify spouses and children of LPRs as "immediate relatives" - completely solving your problem.

I urge you to seize the opportunity that has presented itself. Please join in and stand up for LPRs. We have worked very hard to set up Mother's Day. We need people with energy. We need people who are angry about this. And you should be angry about this. The laws that separate LPRs from their families are the worst anti-immigrant, anti-family laws on the books.

Please come to our site, please channel that anger into action that will benefit your family:
http://www.americanfamiliesunited.com

Randall

Yeah, are you are okay with the 12 million immigrants jumping ahead of your wife and your mother-in-law's applications? Lets assume that USCIS completes 1 million applications per year and if your application is pushed down the line to 12 million +1, you would typically have to wait for 12 more years if you let the illegals get ahead of you.

Unfounded allegations and fear spreading... How are they going to jump ahead? I have read the proposed bills... Have you? If so, please show me where it gives them a preferential priority date or a different status in the application?

So lets make them all felons and deport them all... That will really help us. Clog up the courts with appeals and USCIS with deportation hearings.

sometime2006 said:
Unfounded allegations and fear spreading... How are they going to jump ahead? I have read the proposed bills... Have you? If so, please show me where it gives them a preferential priority date or a different status in the application?

So lets make them all felons and deport them all... That will really help us. Clog up the courts with appeals and USCIS with deportation hearings.

Yes i have read them.... Mr. Know-it-all :p
Amnesty has been granted once before and there is no guarantee that something like that will not be repeated again. If that ever happens, you can see another couple of millions added to the already pending and sagging load of USCIS. You and i can only argue in theory, but politically, the reasons and decision will be totally different.

You can't look at it this way.

Dear All,

My father, Juan, has been posting several messages on here and he just shared some of them with me. I am now compelled to write on behalf of my dad and all others out there, who are desperately wanting blanket amnesty fro the U.S. Government.

There is absolutely no concrete evidence posted here that granting blanket amnesty to all undocument immigrants will slow down the processing of your immigration benefits. In fact, no where in the proposal bill does it say, "the processing of permanent residence for undocument immigrants should be prioritzed before the legal immigrants".

My father is a hard working man. He has made tremendous sacrifice to come here. He still works two jobs, while managing to go to a local community college to learn English. Oh, by the way, he "PAYS" for his education in full. He also files his tax with the IRS (if some of you didn't know, some undocumented do file taxes).

I frankly do not appreciate when some of you goes on the offensive and attack my father. He was simply asking for support from fellow immigrants. If you do not agree with the march, just let it be and don't attack him for his belief. He has done nothing wrong to you.

He gave me a chance to study here, and I fought all the temptations to join the gang and studied. I got accepted to the University of Illinois, but I can't get any federal aid because I do not have legal status. This, to me, is so anti-American because education is one of fundamental human rights and I am being denied this right because of my immigration status.

Blanket amnesty is badly needed. Do you honestly see the Government, rounding us up in mass and deporting us to the south of border? This is exactly what the Nazis did to the Jews back in the days. Instead of supporting political persecution of undocument immigrants, isn't it time for us to join our hands and fight for our right to live in this country?

Carlos

JuanSorano61 said:
Dear All,

My father, Juan, has been posting several messages on here and he just shared some of them with me. I am now compelled to write on behalf of my dad and all others out there, who are desperately wanting blanket amnesty fro the U.S. Government.

There is absolutely no concrete evidence posted here that granting blanket amnesty to all undocument immigrants will slow down the processing of your immigration benefits. In fact, no where in the proposal bill does it say, "the processing of permanent residence for undocument immigrants should be prioritzed before the legal immigrants".

My father is a hard working man. He has made tremendous sacrifice to come here. He still works two jobs, while managing to go to a local community college to learn English. Oh, by the way, he "PAYS" for his education in full. He also files his tax with the IRS (if some of you didn't know, some undocumented do file taxes).

I frankly do not appreciate when some of you goes on the offensive and attack my father. He was simply asking for support from fellow immigrants. If you do not agree with the march, just let it be and don't attack him for his belief. He has done nothing wrong to you.

He gave me a chance to study here, and I fought all the temptations to join the gang and studied. I got accepted to the University of Illinois, but I can't get any federal aid because I do not have legal status. This, to me, is so anti-American because education is one of fundamental human rights and I am being denied this right because of my immigration status.

Blanket amnesty is badly needed. Do you honestly see the Government, rounding us up in mass and deporting us to the south of border? This is exactly what the Nazis did to the Jews back in the days. Instead of supporting political persecution of undocument immigrants, isn't it time for us to join our hands and fight for our right to live in this country?

Carlos

For me...it doesn't matter that granting blanket amnesty to all undocumented immigrants will not slow down the processing of the legal immigrants.

Its just unfair.
It is like ...someone has committed a crime and the US govenrment is actually 'rewarding' them for doing it.

As the same sacrifice that your father did other did it, unfortunately he did it by breaking the law and that is a fact is nothing personal. For you probably the cause satisfy the means, but in a society of law things are not like that and I don't like if people do it in my own country so why I will agree that others do it in another place just because...many many factors? Some say because they come from a very poor country and so on, unfortunately we are not living in a socialist society and well that is one of the problems of the capitalism model but that is the way many decided to live here in that way and I do like it that way too. If many people don't like it well everybody is free to go...there is Cuba, Venezuela is going in that way, what can I say.

For example, I would like that people who wants to come in a fiance visa would not have to wait more than 6 months to get marry here and be with their future spouse, for me is a fair cause, other fair cause is people who are already spouse of LPR can come here right away and adjust status instead to be waiting outside and sometimes even denied a tourist visa, but then you said that we should join for people who will get the privilege to be here legally and working even faster than the others, sorry but one does not come with the other. I cannot put that cause in the same place as your cause. We can all be from different countries, but our view are way different as in your own country people have different opinions and point of views.

And talking about sacrifice, the sacrifice of your father is not greater than my mother's or father's sacrifice, so please don't put the issue of who is the most sacrifice person or who is most hardworking people because that is not the point and is not the factor. Nobody is talking in names we are talking in general about what is going on. I am a hardworking person as well, I have to start very early in the morning and go back to my house and do a lot of things as well after I finish my work day, believe me I am not sleeping in my laurels. To categorize something because "are hardworking people" is diminishing others like we are just taking a sea breeze.

It is true that not ALL illegal aliens do not file taxes, unfortunately there are many that does not and many that abuse of the system and many that proclaim that the south was taken from Mexico, that proclaim that this is their land and the border crossed them. Unfortunately, if you can't differentiate yourself of those, then I think you are, as I said before, "protesting" with the wrong people.

Now, we all probably agree that all of us have the right to get a better place to live, a chance to get a nice house, a good job, have a nice retirement and a good health but that wish is along with reality of life. Do I should put myself in front of my CEO's office demanding that he gives me a job, when is not my right even I can demostrate that I am the most qualify person to do that job? So, because I choose to live in Germany should I force the German goverment to give me a place to live there? no, is not my right. As simple as that, it's unfortunate but is the law in that country and is life even I don't like it. My own country have rules like that, your parent's or your's country of origin has rules like that. They are not denied you any education, if you are a national of another country you should go through the proper channels as a F1 visa as many others do. If I try to study in another country you need to show that you are authorize to study there if you are a national of another country or demostrate that you are a citizen of that country and that is nothing anti-country. Many of my friends studied in Monterrey, MX and they said that every single semester they had to show their FM3 or the card that authorize them to study there as international students and never they thought that it was anti-mexican. Actually I check many of the admissions in Mexican universities (I am using one example not necessarily picking on that country) and they even ask for birth certificate (so if you are a national of Mexico) and if you are not a national you have to give a letter from the consulate and your immigration form. So again, before complaining and say that the US is against you, when you came here without authorization look at your own country rules.

To have an education but paying it's a right and nobody denied that to you IF of course you comply with the university rules, you just said you can't have federal aid, but they accepted you. Look how you use the words. You already saying that there is a fault, you got accepted you got even the right to study what is happening is that you need federal aid, that is not your right.

Comparing your cause with the Nazi, give again the idea that you should read more history. First of all, the Nazi does not send anybody else to any "south border" they wanted to kill them and not only them and they did. And even compare the US goverment and US citizens that does not agree with you with Nazis is insulting since because the US participate against the Nazi and lost many lives. Just my husband checked your post (his grandfather was a WWII veteran) is insulting. And the jews or better say the hebrews, they were German citizens living in Germany who were followers of Judaism (that is why came the word Jew), actually the first country to invade the Nazi German was Poland were many jews were Polish and they were citizens of their own country and not only jews were killed. So please again does not compare your cause with something totally different.

But well, is not my goal to pursue you even to change your mind even to try to understand mine, I won't agree with you, period. But I just want to clarify that we could come from the same country but your cause is not and won't be the same as mine and to say that all immigrants agree with you is not true, and to use the word "immigrants" as a whole like you and your rallies are speaking for me, is the same feeling when you think that people are attacking your father. Unfortunately the use of general terms is a bad practice.

Good luck,

JuanSorano61 said:
Dear All,

Carlos

It was nothing personal against your father, of course.
And nothing personal against Hispanic people (as matter of facts, 25% of my blood is Argentinan and my grandfather immigrated to Italy in the 50s).
I am sure he works hard. I'm sure most of the illegal immigrants work very hard.
But guess what? I work hard too, most of the people in this country work hard, I believe.
I went to business school in Arizona in 2001. I got my student visa and got huge loans in Italy, which are still being paid and will be outstanding for a long time. In fact, I wasn't able to get a single penny from the Federal Govt in the US, being a LEGAL non-immigrant student.

After I got my mba I wanted to come back to the US and work here. I could have just stayed with my expired visa and nobody would have cought me. SSA, by mistake, gave me a social security card with no limitations on it (like "authorized to work with INS authorization only"). I could have definitely stayed and worked.
I came back to Italy, looked for a job here, found it, got a H-1B visa, paid some $4,000 for a lawyer and then I came here.
I am getting married this month with a USC who came here with her family from the former USSR when she was 10. She went through immigration legally, even though she was discriminated in her country (she is Jewish and please, don't you dare to compare illegal immigrants with the Jews killed by the Nazis).
I am going to get my green card and it will take probably years.
Honestly, if my application gets delayed, even a 10-minute delay, I will be pissed off. And even if it doesn't, I will still think that an amnesty is not right.
Amnesty won't solve the problem and illegal immigrants will keep crossing the border.......then there will be another amnesty and then another one....until the next.

I'm sorry, it's not right.