Please help: applying CZ with GC residence error

galaxy3

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

I know this sounds dumb/ silly, however, fact is I have noted "residence since " error almost after 5 years. I appreciate if you could share your thoughts on what is best course of action that I could take to initiate my N-400 application.

background:

I noted "residence since" error about 10 days ago. Instead of '4/6/2001' it is printed as '01/01/1999'. We know date '4/6/2001' is correct because other family members who got their GCon same day as mine has date '4/6/2001'. As well the approval letter is dated '4/6/2001'.

I would like to apply for CZ, as based on correct date I will be completing 5 years eligibility criteria. My questions are
as follows:

a) Can I initiate my N-400 application while GC still indicates INCORRECT "residence since" date. If so, what date I should print at "Date You Became a Permanent Resident" ? Should it be the incorrect one (i.e. 01/01/1999) or the correct on (04/06/2001) ?

b) If it is correct one (04/06/2001), then how should I indicate to INS that printed date on GC is incorrect ? Do I need to seperate letter ? Should I enclose copy of the approval letter ?

I know, I have option of first getting GC corrected and later initiate N-400 application. However, I hear in CSC it takes almost 3-6 months to get I-90 processed and that delay I would like avoid. Also, we have impeding travel and can't go out without GC. Likewise, if there are greater chance of N-400 getting rejected "solely" based on printed error then I see that may be longer delay and beat original objective. I know with correct date I meet eligibility criteria but wanted to take right approach.

I greatly appreciate if you could provide insights to it.

Finally, I know its my silly mistake. However, the approval letter says following, i donot know whether this will even be helpful.

" DATED: 04/06/2001 "

Please be advised that you have been granted permanent resident alien status as of the above date. This letter should not be regarded as proof of that status. You are being processed for an alien registration card which will be mailed to you at the above address within the next few months. If you require proof of your status in order to travel, bring evidence of travel such as an airlin ticket; or if your employement documenty will expire within 90days, you may come to this office for a temporary stamp. Bring this letter and your pasport with you. Children under age of 13 1/2 need NOT appear. You may appear any MONDAY through FRIDAY (except holidays), BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 7:00 am and 2:00 pm"

Signed by district director

You need to use search function - this topic has been covered here. Look for my posts, one of them explains your question in details.

However, to be even more specific -- wait till you're FULLY eligible, then apply showing your _correct_ date, not the one on GC. Done deal. No extra papers needed.

galaxy3 said:
Hello everyone,

I know this sounds dumb/ silly, however, fact is I have noted "residence since " error almost after 5 years. I appreciate if you could share your thoughts on what is best course of action that I could take to initiate my N-400 application.

background:

I noted "residence since" error about 10 days ago. Instead of '4/6/2001' it is printed as '01/01/1999'. We know date '4/6/2001' is correct because other family members who got their GCon same day as mine has date '4/6/2001'. As well the approval letter is dated '4/6/2001'.

I would like to apply for CZ, as based on correct date I will be completing 5 years eligibility criteria. My questions are
as follows:

a) Can I initiate my N-400 application while GC still indicates INCORRECT "residence since" date. If so, what date I should print at "Date You Became a Permanent Resident" ? Should it be the incorrect one (i.e. 01/01/1999) or the correct on (04/06/2001) ?

b) If it is correct one (04/06/2001), then how should I indicate to INS that printed date on GC is incorrect ? Do I need to seperate letter ? Should I enclose copy of the approval letter ?

I know, I have option of first getting GC corrected and later initiate N-400 application. However, I hear in CSC it takes almost 3-6 months to get I-90 processed and that delay I would like avoid. Also, we have impeding travel and can't go out without GC. Likewise, if there are greater chance of N-400 getting rejected "solely" based on printed error then I see that may be longer delay and beat original objective. I know with correct date I meet eligibility criteria but wanted to take right approach.

I greatly appreciate if you could provide insights to it.

Finally, I know its my silly mistake. However, the approval letter says following, i donot know whether this will even be helpful.

" DATED: 04/06/2001 "

Please be advised that you have been granted permanent resident alien status as of the above date. This letter should not be regarded as proof of that status. You are being processed for an alien registration card which will be mailed to you at the above address within the next few months. If you require proof of your status in order to travel, bring evidence of travel such as an airlin ticket; or if your employement documenty will expire within 90days, you may come to this office for a temporary stamp. Bring this letter and your pasport with you. Children under age of 13 1/2 need NOT appear. You may appear any MONDAY through FRIDAY (except holidays), BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 7:00 am and 2:00 pm"

Signed by district director
You don't need to explain the incorrect print on your GC. Just use the correct date that of approval which is 4/6/01 on your N400 form. You are alreday eligible (under -90 day rule) and can apply rightaway unless you have continuous residency issues. Don't worry about the misprint on GC. It happened to a friend of mine and he did not ever correct it and his N400 process went without a hitch. Good luck.