Please Advise!

h ravi

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anybody knows how long it takes to get the final approval for asylum? My recommended asylum approval date is 04-18-2003.

Thanks

Originally posted by h ravi
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anybody knows how long it takes to get the final approval for asylum? My recommended asylum approval date is 04-18-2003.

Thanks

Ravi
Please be more clear. What do you mean by final approval. If you have seen an officer and came back for a decision, the date you provided is the offical date for your approval. If you saw a judge, the day she granted you asylum is the day you have final approval. Be more specific so that I can guess less and answer you.
Good luck

Shamshon,

I had the asylum interview with the Asylum Officer on April 10th and got the decision on April 18th. The letter I received that day
states the following : You have received a recommended approval of asylum. The Asylum Officer has made a preliminary determination to grant you asylum, but the BCIS has not received the results from the mandatory, confidential investigation of your identity and background. If the results reveal derogatory information that affects your eligibility for asylum, the BCIS may deny your request for asylum or refer it to an Immigration Judge for further consideration.

Thanks,

Originally posted by h ravi
Shamshon,

I had the asylum interview with the Asylum Officer on April 10th and got the decision on April 18th. The letter I received that day
states the following : You have received a recommended approval of asylum. The Asylum Officer has made a preliminary determination to grant you asylum, but the BCIS has not received the results from the mandatory, confidential investigation of your identity and background. If the results reveal derogatory information that affects your eligibility for asylum, the BCIS may deny your request for asylum or refer it to an Immigration Judge for further consideration.

Thanks,
Wow that is something new. I would assume that April 18 th is the offical day of your approval unless they find soemthing bad about you ( something they need to do after the latest terrorist attacks). They usually take few days to investigate you since they updated their systems. On april 17th 2004 you will become eligible to apply for I-485 ( exactly a year later). Good luck

Dear Ravi

Recommended Approval is not your final Approval.

Until you get your final approval you are still considered as an asylum aplicant not an asylee.

So you can't apply your I-485 after one year of the recomended approval date.

Final decesion can take upto 3 months(and some time more).

For more details you can visit this link

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/services/asylum/types.htm

This is not something new at all. The INS asylum offices have been doing this for more than six years now.

It really depends on your luck as to how soon you will see the final appoval. Some people's fingerprints are cleared in two or three weeks while others take almost one year.

If you have not heard from them after two or three months, contact them.

Per the recommended approval letter, you must continue to renew your work card as an asylum applicant and cannot leave the country and the like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my interview with Asylum officer in Sep 97. They told me to come back to office in two weeks. (This procedure has been changed)

Recommended approval was given to me at this time.

Early December 97 I received the letter stating that I have been granted asylum.

My brother applied for asylum in 2001. His interview was in 9/2001.

Recommended approval was sent via mail. (Dec 2001)

After recommended approval he was advised to get his finger prints submitted at the specified locations. He did got his finger prints done.

He received his final approval by mail in Jan 2002.

For me, I filed in my asylum application in late March 2002. I then received a letter to ask me for a finger printing within 2 weeks.

The day of my interview (about 1 month later from the date I filed my application), I did another fingerprinting and met with an ayslum officer. I was told to come back in two weeks for decision. I received my asylee status on the decision date.