Plastic Card Ordering Process

JackIsBack

Registered Users (C)
What steps are actually involved in the plastic card ordering process? Like more FBI checks etc? Or is it just a simple process like your local office forward your info to the card printing center? All of us who have been to the local offices for AOS approval stamping were told that "your card will be mailed within 12 months from today." But go back to the same office like 3 month later and complain your card hasn't come in yet and they'll say this time "if your card didn't come in within 1yr come back then for another stamping.

All checks are completed before this point. All the BCIS has to do is to print the card.

Jack, you are too experienced with the BCIS by now to be surprised by the way they operate. How long it takes to receive the actual plastic card depends on your luck. I am not sure what you can do to expedite this process.

The good news is that the card will be backdated one year from the date of your approval, not the date of the card production.

Hi JackIsBack,

I don't think that there is any further FBI checks after you get your application for GC approved.
INS has a huge backlog in the production of these cards because before four or five years when the decided to change the apperance of the card and make it machine readable, millions of GC holders applied for the new one.
I have read an INS article before in which they stated that they produce 5000 to 6000 cards daily. The huge backlog from previous years, people who report their cards lost or stolen, people who win immigration lottery every year(50000-60000), Refuges and assyles, H1 holders, ............ All of these numbers contributed to that delayed process.

Plastic GC

This question is not regarding getting plastic GC tru asylum. My friend has her passport stamp tru family based 1 1/2 years ago but until now she has not received her plastic GC. When can she apply for her citizenship? 5 years after she get her plastic GC or 5 years after her passport was stamped?

Thanxs for your help!

Thank you Andrew for bringing in such information to this forum.
I'm not being impatinent with the waiting time for my plastic GC but it doesn't make sense that some people get their card in 3 weeks and some do not theirs in 18 months. There is a discrepency in this and something needs to be done about that.

Plastic GC

When can she apply for her citizenship? 5 years after she get her plastic GC or 5 years after her passport was stamped?

Five years (or four years in case of former asylees) after the date of I-485 approval. Stamping or plastic production date is not relevant for this purpose.