PIO Processing Time - SFO

r2ichennai2007

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I am interested to know the processing time of PIO cards. This is required for me to make some quick decisions on my application for PIO card. Otherwise I need to take a visa and go to India. Appreciate if you guys can share your experience on PIO processing times.

Did you mean the OCI ? It has some benefits that the PIO does not give and is the preferred one actually.

Please see the OCI/PIO forum.

As far as I know, PIO processing takes about 1 to 2 weeks from the SFO consulate, if there are no problems.

OCI processing time is usually a couple of months. You can always convert from PIO to OCI status for a nominal $25 fee. The only benefits of OCI are that it's lifelong (PIO must be renewed every 15 years), and OCI holders don't have to register in India even if they stay longer than 180 days continuously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback. I am in a bit of hurry. I will apply the OCI when I go to India. This will be the fastest way to get the PIO card immediately. They told me if you go to the consular office and explain the situation, they can speeden the application immediately.

FYI. I appreciate everyone's response in this regards.