PERM business necessity?

natasha13 said:
ANSWER:

My lawyer speculates it will be 2. I can let you know when SWA gets back to us. What have you heard from other people with MS requirements?
when u look for PW wages in DOl website, there are 2 data sources:A- is called all industries database and B-called ACIWA-higher education industry database. the wages in A for level 1-4 are higher than the ones in B. does anybody know which one to use? what if for the same level, i pass the PW for B but not for A? any idea?

antonioa77 said:
when u look for PW wages in DOl website, there are 2 data sources:A- is called all industries database and B-called ACIWA-higher education industry database. the wages in A for level 1-4 are higher than the ones in B. does anybody know which one to use? what if for the same level, i pass the PW for B but not for A? any idea?

ANSWER:
This is what the document on the website says:
If the employer qualifies under the American Competitiveness and Workforce Investment Act (ACWIA) as an educational/research institution then you can change the Data Source to the ACWIA – Education Industry Database.

maverick13 said:
ANSWER:
This is what the document on the website says:
If the employer qualifies under the American Competitiveness and Workforce Investment Act (ACWIA) as an educational/research institution then you can change the Data Source to the ACWIA – Education Industry Database.

i read that but i don't understand what it means. how an employer is qualified to ACWIA?

On the DOL website (http://www.flcdatacenter.com/faq.aspx), DOL states that "Employers that qualify may use occupations and wages found in the ACWIA - Education Industry database."

"Employers that qualify" are defined in a DOL General Administration Letter (General Administration Letter 2-99, General Administration Letter 1-00)

Under these letters, employers that qualify for the Education Industry database wages are:institutions of higher education and related or affiliated nonprofit entity, nonprofit research organizations, or governmental research agencies. It is important to note that ALL jobs, and not only research-related jobs, with these employers qualify for ACWIA-Education Industry database wages.

General Administration Letter 2-99 can be found at http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/dmstree/gal/gal99/gal_02-99.htm
General Administration Letter 1-00 can be found at http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/dmstree/gal/gal2k/gal_01-00.htm

business necessity

natasha13 said:
My employer has advertised my position as needing a minimum of MS with 2 years of experience. I have a MS in Electrical Engineering along with 2 years experience. We are okay with the prevailing wage too. But now I find out that since the position "Electrical Engineer" like most other engineering jobs comes under Job Zone 4, the minimum requirements are a BS only. Hence for applying under EB-2 we will have to show M.S. as a business necessity, is that right? Also I read on the forum that all applications showing business necessity will most likely be audited, is that true?

In the above scenario does it make sense to start the advertising all over again asking for BS only and filing for EB3, thus not having to provide business necessity?
OR
Continue as planned with MS+2 yrs requirement => EB2 and take the risk of showing business necessity.

Please voice your opinions, thanks!

Does business necessity really survive under PERM?

DOL's concern over fraud permeates PERM. They should be concerned. DOL does not have the capacity, the political will, or the money to audit most labor certifications. This leaves the PERM system dependent on the good will and honesty of those who use it, a necessary but uneasy state of affairs. This comes at a time when the political imperative to move lots of cases through the system at full throttle may well be irresistible.

The immigration bar rightly screamed bloody murder when the notice of proposed rulemaking eliminated the doctrine of business necessity. DOL listened, it seems. Business necessity is back as articulated by the BALCA in Information Industries. Do not celebrate so fast! Who is going to be honest or brave enough to use it, particularly in a web-based submission when back-up justification is not part of the form? Question No 12 on Section H of the ETA 9089 asks whether the job requirements are "normal" for the occupation. More on that later. Now, just consider that, if they are not, the employer must be prepared to justify them on grounds of business necessity. A blind man could see that anyone who checks the "yes" box to this question will be audited. So, the price of invoking business necessity will be a DOL audit, thereby dashing any hopes of a quick decision, and negating PERM's raison d'etre. While the audit procedures outlined in 20 CFR 656.20 require an employer response to the audit letter within 30 days, with one possible 30 day extension tacked on, there does not appear to be any time deadline by which the Certifying Officer must render a decision on the audit.

This puts honest lawyers and conscientious employers in a quandary. Do they admit that their job requirements are "abnormal" but necessary, knowing that an audit is coming, or do they abandon business necessity as interesting theory but impossible practice? The irony, of course, is that dishonest filers, be they lay or lawyers, will face no such moral dilemma. They will simply check "No" to Item No.12, secure in the knowledge that their odds of skating through without further complication run strongly in their favor. Chances are that DOL will look to the IRS system of random audit control and implement a sophisticated profiling database that may favor larger employers at the expense of their smaller brethren, who are the true engines of job creation. Even here, however, it would not be surprising if even corporate giants get audited since it is impossible to control the forces that PERM will unleash.

PERM does nothing to address the fundamental reason for fraud in the first place, namely employer control over the sponsorship process that ties a particular alien to a specific employer. DOL cannot act on its own and Congress shows little inclination to get involved. No votes or campaign cash to be mined there. Only adoption a point system which focuses on the permanent characteristics of the alien, as opposed to the temporary needs of a single employer, can liberate aliens from the position of subordination and dependency whose existence make fraud possible. Moreover, since the benefit gained allows for perpetual residence in the USA, why should the transitory requirements of any employer, as opposed to the alien's immutable talents, be the fulcrum on which the entire system rests? The notion of portability has found acceptance in the H1B and adjustment of status contexts. Why not extend it across the entire spectrum of the employment-based immigration system? It is a convenient halfway point on which all interested parties of good will can agree without having to go through the agony of a total system overhaul.

natasha13 said:
ANSWER:

My lawyer speculates it will be 2. I can let you know when SWA gets back to us. What have you heard from other people with MS requirements?

did u hear back from SWA about the PW determination? honestly i think for engineering position with MS and 0 experience, the PW level will be 3 and not 2.

here is the calculation:

1 to start with+1 for MS+ 1 because the expereince is on the low end of the required one(2-4 yrs).
so i think the level is 3 not 2. hope i'm wrong. any insight?

Last edited by a moderator:
antonioa77 - when you look at a job title (say computer software engineer), how do u know which wage level you SHOULD fall into? is that based on experience? What about bachelors + 1 yr? is that wage level 1 or 2? and is the employer required to eventually pay wage level 4?

Ms degree with 4 years experience

I have a Ms degree in microbiology with 4 years experience in the biotech industry. I currently has a job tile as research associate II

I will apply for LC under PERM.

In my situation, do I need to show business necessity?

Thanks in advance

PERM business necessity

An attorney told me to start off with the lower requirements and recruit for those to see what candidate pool applies. If the candidate pool is highly qualified, wait a couple of months and recruit again, using an MA rather than a BA as a requirement to disqualify more candidates. If the candidate pool is weak when you require a BA only, your chances of getting PERM approved increases since you no longer try to get business necessity through since you apply as EB-3 rather than EB-2, a category obviously DOL will audit very carefully due to the business necessity claims. Just a matter of recruitment strategy.

PWD with California SWA

Is there anyone who has applied for the PWD with the California SWA on or after March 15th and has received the prevailing wage level from them? We have applied on March 15th and am beginning to wonder as to whether there was something incomplete in my application which is causing the delay. Havent heard as yet!

natasha13 said:
ANSWER: