Pending I485 and CA driving licence

Vahid2

Registered Users (C)
My wife needs to re-new her CA driving licence, we have a pending I485 and approved Ap for both and EAD for me. My H1 would be finished end of 2007 and I am going to switch to EAD. Today the DMV in CA declined to renew her driving licence and asked her to wait till her green card arrive !!! what shoudl we do? any suggestion and experience?
Thanks
Vahid

Is she on H4 or EAD? They have to accept either one.

On a different note when I moved to CA last year at the info desk of the DMV they told me that I will need to document my legal status at the next step. Well, I had totally forgotten to take anything, but did not panic. Just went through the rest of the license process without even being asked for immigration stuff. It was only after I left that I realized that they probably overlooked that. You might want to try another DMV office!

Vahid2, we were in the same trouble last year.

The local DMV (PA) refused to renew our licenses based on 485 receipts nor the letter from employer.

We kept trying hard, and finally we brought our APs and drove to a remote DMV, where the clerks were much nicer. Thanks God. We got renewed there. That is the only thing I can suggest.

By the way, if you wife had used her AP, then she would not in any trouble to renew her license by the new I-94.

Good luck

My wife needs to re-new her CA driving licence, we have a pending I485 and approved Ap for both and EAD for me. My H1 would be finished end of 2007 and I am going to switch to EAD. Today the DMV in CA declined to renew her driving licence and asked her to wait till her green card arrive !!! what shoudl we do? any suggestion and experience?
Thanks
Vahid

I am not in CA... but I have got my drivers license renewed in other states based on my I-485..

First they all refused to issue it on I-485... but they did do a ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) check to see if my I-485 is pending and I am not in any kind of removal proceedings. As far as I know this is the standard procedure now for any I-485 pending applicant to get a drivers license.

May be you want to talk to the DMV supervisor and tell them to contact INS ..or do ICE check and confirm that you have legal status...

-jsn

Can you tell which state you are in? Did they issue DL for full 5 years or till expiry of AP?

I am not in CA... but I have got my drivers license renewed in other states based on my I-485..

First they all refused to issue it on I-485... but they did do a ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) check to see if my I-485 is pending and I am not in any kind of removal proceedings. As far as I know this is the standard procedure now for any I-485 pending applicant to get a drivers license.

May be you want to talk to the DMV supervisor and tell them to contact INS ..or do ICE check and confirm that you have legal status...

-jsn

Thanks
Vahid

Yes I had same problem with my wife driving license. We showed everything EAD, AP and receipts of I-485 but nothing helped. After arguing many times and many trips to the RMV office finally they sent the information to the main office and it got approved.

If it doesn't work this way for you just call the senator office and explain the problem I am sure it will work out.

Goudpmk

Also... AP expiration has no significance. It's your I-485 validity which is required. I mean as long as your I-485 is pending, and you are legal then you shouldn't have any problem getting the drivers license. Talk to the supervisor of that DMV, if he doesn't know much ..just talk to someone higher. Be polite and make them understand. All govt. offices have been bombarded with new regulations with no specific guidance, so everyone is interpreting it their own way. But, my understanding is that they are all there to help you in best way they can...