PCC valid for 6 month or 1 year?

bjajal

Registered Users (C)
PCC valid for 6 month or 1 year?

I thought it was valid for one year. MY PCC was issued on OCT 2002 and my interview is in May 2003 - Mumbai.

Any issues?

bjajal

PCC

This has become one of the most debated issue in
the CP Process.

I saw the post today where the member says he got a
mail from the consulate, saying that the PCC is valid for
only 6 months.

Whereas, we have earlier seen the actual transcripts of the mails
from consulate, where it said the validity is 1 year.

Is there anyone out there who has raised this question with
a consulate in recent times??

If so please chime in!

Personally I feel the validity is 1 year from the date of issue.

Thanks.
Raju

As per Consulate General of India - PCC issued by them is valid only for 6 months.

But there has been posts on this board where people have mentioned that as per US embassy validity is for 1 year.

PCC is valid for 1 year

I really doubt that the PCC validity is 6 months. I get the impression that people are either misinformed or are creating mischief.

So many people attended the interview at Chennai recently. Most of them went with the impression that the validity is one year. If there was any issue at the consulate, or if the policies were changed, I am SURE someone would have mentioned it.

Let us not react to these silly rumors. If we got a PCC seven or eight months ago, and we have not visited India since, what purpose does it serve to get a new one? It is obvious that our police record could not have changed since we got the PCC!

If someone has authentic information, please pass it on. Also, can someone who attended the interview in Chennai recently confirm whether their PCCs were more than a year old?

Aish.

Here is what the webpage for Chennai consulate says:

INDIAN POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATES SHOULD BE OBTAINED AS FOLLOWS:

-- All Indian IV applicants age 16 and above, residing in India, should obtain police certificates from the local passport office. Applicants whose Indian passport was issued within the past six months may present just the passport office police certificate, and need not obtain additional police clearances.
-- applicants over age 16 whose passports were issued more than six months previous to visa application must also obtain a police clearance from the district police office serving the applicant’s place of residence.
-- Indian passport holders applying for visas outside India should obtain a statement from their local embassy or consulate confirming they have no criminal record.
-- Non-Indian Iv Applicants Residing In India Should Obtain Police Certificates From The District Police Station Serving Their Area Of Residence.
-- Indian Police Certificates Are Not Available For Foreign (Non-Indian) Applicants Applying Outside India.

Think about it - if the Indian consulate said you had no criminal record a few months ago, and you never visited India since, what reason do they have to issue you a new PCC again simply because it is past six months??

Let us not needlessly complicate matters.

Aish

PCC Validity

I sent following email to Mumbai and Chennai consulate. Chennai sent the reply back saying PCC validity is 6 months. I am not sure they read the full email. I am waiting for reply from Mumbai consulate. I also asked my wife to personally to go to Mumbai consulate, will let you know what more she can find.

Indian PCC is valid for 6 months from date of issue.

Customer Service Unit
American Consulate General
220, Anna Salai
Chennai 600006
Phone - 91-44-28112060(dir)
91-44-28112000(board)
Fax - 91-44-28112027/2032
Website -http://chennai.usconsulate.gov

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2003 10:35 AM
To: chennaiiv@state.gov
Subject: Validity of Police Clearance Certificate (PCC)

What is the validity of PCC issued by Indian Consulate of Chicago?

Our is Employement based case and we are leaving in USA from Last 4 and half years.

Our PCC have issue date of October 21 2002 and our interview at US Consulate is sometimes in May 2003. Do I need new PCC?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Get a new one if you have time

I just heard from several people who attended interviews recently (over email) - many of them had PCCs that were older than 6 months, and many saw others with PCCs that were as old as 9 months (at the consulate).

I am quite sure the Chennai Customer Service unit means the PCC that you get from India (as cpdelhi said). If you see the latest list, the employment cases are only about 30 out of 230 or so. So most of their queries are from people who are currently in India.

If you want to be safe and if you have time, please get another PCC from the Chicago consulate.

If you have no time, and have a PCC from the Chicago consulate that is below one year old, don't worry about it!! But I guess when people ask questions about what kind of plastic bags are allowed inside the consulate, this may be asking too much!

Aish

PCC is valid for one year

My wife personally went to Mumbai consulate and showed the PCC issued from Chicago.

They said it is valid for one year.

Told them that at time of interview in May, the certificate will be 8 months old. They said it is OK.

Hey Aish,
Should I ask what kind of plastic bag is allowed in consulate? Just kidding!!!!!! I like your humour.

Do you know Indians are one of the most risk averse people in the world.

Thanks

bjajal

Thanks

bjalal,

Convey thanks to your wife on behalf of the forum. This should
put a rest to this controversy( at least for some time..)

About the plastic bags as long as we remember the reason behind that is fine.

The security personnel need to see through the bag, that's all.
So any clear plastic bag would do. And it applies to the folders ( if any ) that are placed inside the bag.

Thanks
Raju

Regarding PCC validity, I checked with the Passport office at Chennai. According to them it is valid only for 6 months.

I guess the recent confusion in PCC validity is not because of any US policy change.

So enquire at the issuing passport office/Indian consulate about the validity. US consulate staff may not be knowing, If they have not received this recent circular.

One more point, If you have Indian passport issued after 1997, it is easy to get PCC at passport office (just 4 hrs at chennai ). If your passport is issued before 1997, the previous PCC information will not be in the system. They have to do a fresh police verification. It took me more than a month in spite of influence at passport office & local police station. During this process passport office will be keeping our passport.

To add to this complication, If you were not living at the Indian address for last 6 months then the verifying police may not clear the case.

- Raja.