Patent question and EB1-EA!

ucadi1

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,

I have a strong interest in applying in EB-1 EA. I don't know yet if I qualify but I have one question regarding patents.

I have 3 patents which have been applied for and are pending for approval. Do you think having patent applications help in showing your worth in EB-1 category or do I know need a full fledged patent?

I am trying to accumulate as much data as possible to make sure I make a worthy candidate. Presently I have the following:
1. MS in Electrical Engineering + 4 years work experience
2. 14 publications- 3 First author, 28 Citations- till now.
3. No journals yet.
4. Presented papers at conferences.
5. No awards
6. 3 patents applications- of which one patent has been made into an equipment and is been used in the industry I work in and is presented at various exhibitions. [ This patent is still waiting for approval, only application filed ]
7. Good support from organization - Letter from CEO possible.
8. Recommendation letters possible- about 4-5
9. I have not judged any event and I am not yet member of any proffesional associations.

Please, someone who are walking through this and have walked already guide me of my chances with EB-1. Do you think I have a shot at it?

At present, I can write journals to add to my credentials.

Thank you very much.. Do reply please.

From my personal experience it does not matter what you have done....its HOW you present it.....or how your LAWYER presents it. I have seen lawyers get people with far less than you approved and people with three times as stuff as yours rejected....so its about 40% LUCK+40%LAWYER(OR YOU)+20% Credentials......go figure.

To add....your publication levels are good but citations are low???!! why is that?

Patents are good but approved ones better.

LORs should not be only from your Inst but from around the country or better around the globe....more the merrier....

KEY: WHY SHOULD YOU BE ACCEPTED OVER THE 40,000 OTHERS APPLYING FOR GC.....THink about that and write it on a piece of paper again and again. Write down everything awesome world saving you have done so far in a bulletin point.....then expand on each....do google searches about yourself.....do citations searches....write everything good about your research or work....workplace....then see where you stand.....HOPE THIS HELPS :)

Please Read me and ADVISE. HELP!.

Hi,

These are my following qualifications and I want an opinion from the gurus of EB-1 -EA.

I have a masters degree and the following background from that -

1. 3 patent applications - 1 Patent application for a tool which is used in the industry I work in widely and has been shown at few exhibitions through my company. 2 Patent has been used widely in my grad school advisor's company but none of them have been approved patents yet.

2. 13 Papers - of which 5 are 1st author and 8 co-authored. No Journal papers though.

3. 30 Citations until now of my papers written

4.6 poster presentations

5.1 Oral presentation

6.1 invited talk at a University

7. 4 possible recommendation letters
a. VP of big engineering company
b. VP of another big engineering company
c. CEO of the company I work for
d. A prof from a university - knew my research but did not work with me

e. Advisor of grad school might be willing to vouch me too.

F. Awards- 1 Travel grant, Scholarship and research assistantship in my masters.

Now this is what I have until now but in few months- I can come up with 1 journal paper, I additional conference paper and presentation of this paper and possible patent application and also a possible membership with XI membership

Please honestly tell me if I have a chance at EB-1. EA.

I greatly appreciate your views and advise.

Thank you.

EB-1 EA requires evidence that you have risen to the top of your field. If a lawyer can prepare a petition that convincingly argues that, then great. But without journal papers, it might be pretty hard. Your patents must show 1- that you were instrumental in devising the invention, and 2- that it is widely recognized as innovative by experts in your field (other than direct associates). If it were me, I'd try to go with EB-2, it's safer, although if you are from India or China and you will absolutely need a green card before 3 years, it may be a problem.
Like the other post said, it's all about good presentation AND solid evidence to back up your claims.

EB1-A qualification

Hi,

I am still struggling for which way I should go for, EB1-A or NIW?
My qualifications are:
1. PhD degree from a good university
2. 8 published papers (4 first author and 4 scond author) (good journals: like Macromolecues, Nature Materials)
3. 4 patent applications (1 approved, 3 pending)
4. 3 conference proceedings.
5. 1 book chapter (published, first author)
6. Over 10 conference talks and posters (first author or second)
7. some highlights on several of my papers:
7.1 paper 1: top 20 most downloaded, between 2001-2005 for that journal. 62 citations for this paper only.
7.2 paper 1: My university interviewed with my advisor regarding this paper ant this interview was posted in several places all over the world (on line though)
7.3 paper 2: published in Nature Materials and then in Science's Editor's Choice session, the main idea of that paper was republished.
7.4 paper 3: published in Physical Review B, and then republished in one vitual journal

Someone with experience, please, advise if I have a chance for EB1-A.
Many thanks.

Hi there,

I have a strong interest in applying in EB-1 EA. I don't know yet if I qualify but I have one question regarding patents.

I have 3 patents which have been applied for and are pending for approval. Do you think having patent applications help in showing your worth in EB-1 category or do I know need a full fledged patent?

I am trying to accumulate as much data as possible to make sure I make a worthy candidate. Presently I have the following:
1. MS in Electrical Engineering + 4 years work experience
2. 14 publications- 3 First author, 28 Citations- till now.
3. No journals yet.
4. Presented papers at conferences.
5. No awards
6. 3 patents applications- of which one patent has been made into an equipment and is been used in the industry I work in and is presented at various exhibitions. [ This patent is still waiting for approval, only application filed ]
7. Good support from organization - Letter from CEO possible.
8. Recommendation letters possible- about 4-5
9. I have not judged any event and I am not yet member of any proffesional associations.

Please, someone who are walking through this and have walked already guide me of my chances with EB-1. Do you think I have a shot at it?

At present, I can write journals to add to my credentials.

Thank you very much.. Do reply please.

My suggestion for you is the EB1-outstanding researcher, or NIW (if you work meets the criteria).
negative points in your case include that you do not have PhD degree, no awards, not a reviewer, no journals yet. In addition, just 'patent applications' doesnt count much. This makes unlikely (i feel) to be accepted for EB1-1. But its worth trying since there is no much money involved-just the application fee. I know one of my friend who's EB1-1 petition (i140) is being procesed since 7 months, but with no answer. But anyway, good luck, probably luck might play a part.