• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Past & Present Oceania winners, How many times did it take for you to win the Lottery?(DV20XXOC....)

Past & Present Oceania winners, How many times did it take for you to win the Lottery?(DV20XXOC....)

• never did

Results are only viewable after voting.

upbeatbean

In the past, Did you enter as single or with your spouse? How about when you won?
TIA

Last edited:
Entered the previous 6 years for both myself and my husband. Same as the year we were selected.
congrats on getting selected at last. you must be thrilled. hope it goes well for you :D:D
I saw the comment about your age in the DV lottery thread
Mind if i ask why you didn't enter in the years prior to 2016?

congrats on getting selected at last. you must be thrilled. hope it goes well for you :D:D
I saw the comment about your age in the DV lottery thread
Mind if i ask why you didn't enter in the years prior to 2016?
We only started applying after we moved to the US. We are here due to my husbands specialty occupation.

Prior to 2016 we were living in many different countries. Personally I couldn’t see myself applying for immigration to a country without having been there and/or had a job secured (but that’s a personal decision based on our life circumstances).

We only started applying after we moved to the US. We are here due to my husbands specialty occupation.

Prior to 2016 we were living in many different countries. Personally I couldn’t see myself applying for immigration to a country without having been there and/or had a job secured (but that’s a personal decision based on our life circumstances).
THANK you for the elaborate reply.

Entered the previous 6 years for both myself and my husband. Same as the year we were selected.

this actually helped me get an idea myself. keeping my expectations low & sticking with my original plan

THANK you for the elaborate reply.

this actually helped me get an idea myself. keeping my expectations low & sticking with my original plan
Are you a current winner? Or just considering applying/have applied?

If you haven’t been selected yet, I wouldn’t even be thinking of a plan. The odds of being selected are something like 1 in every 200 years (I heard that stat on a YT video).

And even once you get selected, the process is not for the faint hearted. And it’s not a guarantee.

All you can do is apply and wait and see.

even for oceania? i saw people in this forum & even @Britsimon say odds are good for oceania

not a current winner
You'd have to ask him directly. I'm not sure if the odds change per region, I just know it really is the luck of the draw.

If you've entered for this year, then I wish you luck. Only a few more weeks until the results.

I think the probability in Oceania is way higher then the others regions. I have 4 close relatives who won. My mums older sister was the first i believe in 2007, 2 of my first cousins won, 1 of of them won it twice although both got rejected, my younger brother won 2012, and now my spouse is won for 2024.

I think the probability in Oceania is way higher then the others regions. I have 4 close relatives who won. My mums older sister was the first i believe in 2007, 2 of my first cousins won, 1 of of them won it twice although both got rejected, my younger brother won 2012, and now my spouse is won for 2024.
That's super interesting. Are you from Fiji? It's very evident in 2024 of the huge increase in those numbers.

Do you know the reason why cousins got rejected?

even for oceania? i saw people in this forum & even @Britsimon say odds are good for oceania

not a current winner
The odds for OC are far higher than other regions - about 1 in 20.

I'm the person that expresses the odds (for other regions) as 1 in 200 years or similar. I express it that way to make the point it isn't a plan. In OC region the odds are so much better that it almost could be a plan (especially for a couple - each with an entry). If a couple both enter for 3 or 4 years they are pretty likely to get selected.

The odds for OC are far higher than other regions - about 1 in 20.

I'm the person that expresses the odds (for other regions) as 1 in 200 years or similar. I express it that way to make the point it isn't a plan. In OC region the odds are so much better that it almost could be a plan (especially for a couple - each with an entry). If a couple both enter for 3 or 4 years they are pretty likely to get selected.
Caught in the "Gambler's fallacy" there @Britsimon :) :).

Theory states that, if the region's odds are 1 in 20 (as you put it above), then if someone enters for 3 or 4 years, their chances improve to a measly 1 in 20. If they enter for 1000 years (assuming that's possible), their chances improve to, wait for it...., 1 in 20!!!

Theory states that, if the region's odds are 1 in 20 (as you put it above), then if someone enters for 3 or 4 years, their chances improve to a measly 1 in 20. If they enter for 1000 years (assuming that's possible), their chances improve to, wait for it...., 1 in 20!!!
@Samusoni - you are confidently incorrect. If the odds for a region were 1 in 20, then you are correct that for each individual year a person enters, they would have a 1 in 20 chance. But if a person plans to enter each year for the next 5 years, their likelihood of being selected over the course of five lotteries is greater than 1 in 20 (actually closer to 1 in 5).

@Samusoni - you are confidently incorrect. If the odds for a region were 1 in 20, then you are correct that for each individual year a person enters, they would have a 1 in 20 chance. But if a person plans to enter each year for the next 5 years, their likelihood of being selected over the course of five lotteries is greater than 1 in 20 (actually closer to 1 in 5).
I am certainly correct. I am glad we agree on the first part; successive entries are statistically independent events, so your chances in one year does not change your chances in another year! That was my whole argument. Now you you added a second twist to the question.

For your second part. I think your conclusion (1 in 5 over 5 years) is flawed, unless you explain your Math to me. Your conclusion seems to imply that if you enter 20 years in a row, your chances are (almost) 100% !!! Really :) :)

In the interest of not flooding the forum unnecessarily, you can come to my PM to continue the discussion...you can go mathematically deep as you want, I am likely to understand.

EDIT: Sorry, this forum does not seem to allow me to edit my own post above.

I now understand how you came up with a 1 to 5 chance. That does not, however, explain away my original point. If you have been applying for 4 years, and on the 5th year you apply again, you do not have better chances than someone who is applying for the first time, it's still 1 to 20. That's why I cited the gambler's fallacy. I don't understand the practical meaning of the 1 to 5 chances (over 5 years), except to say "if you do not enter, you don't win".

EDIT: Sorry, this forum does not seem to allow me to edit my own post above.

I now understand how you came up with a 1 to 5 chance. That does not, however, explain away my original point. If you have been applying for 4 years, and on the 5th year you apply again, you do not have better chances than someone who is applying for the first time, it's still 1 to 20. That's why I cited the gambler's fallacy. I don't understand the practical meaning of the 1 to 5 chances (over 5 years), except to say "if you do not enter, you don't win".
Right, but when you responded to @Britsimon that he was "caught in the Gambler's fallacy", I think you may not have read his statement correctly. He stated the following, "in OC region the odds are so much better that it almost could be a plan (especially for a couple - each with an entry). If a couple both enter for 3 or 4 years they are pretty likely to get selected."

If the region's odds are 1 in 20. And you have two people entering (a couple) each year over the next 3-4 years, then the likelihood of one of them being selected in that timeframe is actually relatively high. As a result, it could be reasonable to treat the DV as a "plan" instead of as a "lottery". There is obviously a chance that no matter how often you enter, you simply do not win (as this is still a lottery).

Not at all caught in that fallacy at all, thanks.

Rainman has addressed the effect of taking planned set of entries, and also that I mentioned a couple entering (where each person "wins" if their partner wins. Note that I did not say winning was certain, I said likely - and statistically, with a set of entries for a couple, I am correct.

So in these days of AI this is pretty easy to answer.

I asked

1714312664215.png

Note - the probability of a *set of entries* is higher - slightly better than the 1 in 5 that Rainman suggested - and that is for the single entry.

Now for the couple:

1714312624576.png